URGENT!!! Diarrhea from changing dog food

girlbully

Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
A little over 2 weeks ago I changed Bella's food from a prescription hypoallergenic to a grain free high protein food. The reason I changed it was because about 3-4 weeks ago she started having red itching ears, facial folds red and itchy, eyes watering, red and licking paws, and her white hair has turned red around her "girl" area scooting butt. She was on a good high protein diet before and she seldom ever had yeast and allergy problems, so that is why I started her back. The vet had switched her to the hypoallergenic food when she went throught a bout of vomiting. He said some dogs can't tolerate a high protein diet. That was 2-3 months ago. Of course I feel so bad, because I didn't transition her slowly and now she is sick! :ashamed: She has had diarrhea for 2 days now and thrown up once. She still has energy and wants to play, but I'm concerned. There is even a little blood in the stool. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I also wonder why it has taken over 2 weeks for her to have a reaction? Could it be something else???

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor baby, I would get her on bland diet for a couple days then retry the kibble. Hopefully it is the fast food change and not something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with Lisa suggesting a bland diet, her tummy is probably irritated from the fast change in food, and it can take up to a month to see any improvements from a new food. You can try some pure pumpkin to help with the diarrhea. I hope it's just the food change and nothing serious. You can also try adding some plain yogurt or Kefir to the kibble to give some probiotics.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, try the bland diet for a few days then slowly introduce the new kibble, plus give some plain pumpkin also.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
From what i have been reading on the site it sounds like it may not have been the food but allergies as this is a very bad time of the year for them and us.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with Lisa suggesting a bland diet, her tummy is probably irritated from the fast change in food, and it can take up to a month to see any improvements from a new food. You can try some pure pumpkin to help with the diarrhea. I one it's just the food change and nothing serious. You can also try adding some plain yogurt or Kefir to the kibble to give some probiotics.

:up:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.