The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Well... Got some good, bad and worse news. We just got the call from the Vet with Harlea's test results and needless to say we are in shock. The good news is that Harlea isn't allergic to the antibiotics she was on. The bad news is that her body is resistant to all of the normal and least expensive antibiotics that vets would normally prescribe so we have to use others that she isn't resistant to. The worse news is that the cultures also confirmed that she has MRSA so we have to figure out which combination of meds are going to work on her. Right now the MRSA is confined to her belly from front to back including near her girly parts so at least it hasn't spread any further yet. This is going to be a very long road to recovery and we have to start steam cleaning the entire house this weekend.

However, I do want to make every aware of something interesting we discovered in all of this. We including the vet truly believed that Harlea at least had some yeast on her from the antibiotics she has been on and because she did have that lovely corn chip smell. As it turns out with all of the testing and cultures that we have had done there wasn't a single yeast bloom found in any of the 7 areas that they tested which i found odd. I am not trying to scare anyone, but as we found out the corn chip smell in our case wasn't yeast at all.

I am at a loss here and don't know what else I can do to make my baby better. She has suffered long enough already.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Oh no :( I'm so very sorry you and your family are going through this, especially Harlea. she can't get a breather and now MRSA (just googled what it is)! guess the best thing it to boost her immune system...sending good thoughts your way to you and your family, tight big hugs to little Harlea.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Wow, at least you know what it is. But how did she get it, and how do you treat it?

My vet is coming tomorrow for Blue's booster shots. Going to ask her to do a culture for this. Would explain how he's not allergic to anything but won't stop itching.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Todd I'm so very sorry to hear this news.... I don't know what to say :(. :grouphug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
My prayers are out to you. Bless you for going to all strides to find out. Hope she is onto a quick recovery

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww that sucks. I'm so sorry you're going through this with Harlea. I hope they can find the right combinations of medications to wipe out the MRSA. I can't 100 % remember but I think MRSA can be passed to people, so I hope Harlea gets better, and you and your family are safe too. I hope she feels better soon. The only thing I can suggest is you try and boost her immune system by increasing the probiotics in her body. If you use yogurt already, try switching to Kefir, because it contains a lot more probiotics than yogurt. Add apple cider vinegar to her drinking water or kibble, as this will also boost her immune system, ACV kills the bad bacteria in the body, so may help to kill the MRSA in her body. It will take a while to kill this bacteria, as it is so resistant to antibiotics, but hopefully with treatment you have success. Please keep us posted on her progress. Sending love, hugs and prayers for you and your little girl.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
Poor Harlea! I had to google what it was... never heard of it. But seems like it can be passed between humans and pets so be careful!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] So sorry to hear about your little girl, Harlea. I know you are so worried and stressed, as we all would be. It is a puzzle how she got MRSA, but I am praying for you all that the solution will be found for her, and she feels better VERY soon.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Thank you everyone. We are on a mission this weekend to sterilize the house and do everything we can to keep the infection from spreading. Good thing is she already get Kefir twice a day, ACV in her water and addition probiotics from the HardyPet so there isn't a whole lot more that we can do on that front. So now it is wipe downs 3x a day and baths every other day until we get this knocked out.
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] What we think happened is that Harlea had scratched herself after we had her nails trimmed a few months ago that we didn't see until after Harlea took her romp in the mud after it rained.

MrsDenaWare

Feb 6, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Poor baby! Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am so sorry man, this has become such a heart breaker all I can offer is prayers for you and your entire family. I pray you knock this thing out once and for all.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hugs and prayers for a quick recovery and a much healthier baby girl!

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Thoughts and prayers coming your way. I hope Harlea gets better quickly

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Definately try and boost that immune system. In addition to Apple Cidar Vinegar add Vitamin C twice a day to food (The Ester type not asorbic acid) Vitamin C has essential antiviral and antibacterial activity and is effective in improvement of host resistance. And add a B Vitamin Complex it boost the immune system by destroying abnormal cells.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.