General Question Very Very Horny Bulldog!!

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
Dear All,

I am not sure if i am alone on this but my 2yr old boy is very very horny! He has been like this since we got him at 3months but now that he has grown bigger (30kgs) he is getting harder to manage when around other people but in particularly other dogs. He is not at all aggressive but he will try to mount any dog that does not show him much aggression no matter if it is a male or female (actually he seems more interested in males!). He will get soooooo excited that he will even end up dry humping the air and do the humping action as he is walking which always gives ppl great amusement. He normally targets fairly large sized dogs such as labradors, german shepherd or other bulldogs but he is not really picky. The main issue i have with this is that it is not very nice for the other dog owners but the main issue is that he gets so excited that i think it could be bad for his health because he normally exerts so much energy that he will be out of breath very quickly and i have to force him to calm down by holding him down and rest.

Are there any ways i can fix this behaviour? Do you think getting him 'fixed' will help? I hear that getting him 'fixed' could help calm him down and be better for his health?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Here is a pic of my boy:
2013-09-01 15.41.56.jpg

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
hmmm it's not that he's horny its dominance. I'm sure the experts will be here to give you advice on how to manage that :). lovely boy BTW.

Leon van houkje

Mar 17, 2014
Groningen, North Holland
Country
Holland
Bulldog(s) Names
Leon Van T' Houkje
Im very interested to hear other peoples thoughts on this I'm going through the same thing with leon started around 3 months old and now he's 7 months it's getting worse.

Sent from my iPad Mini using IOS 7.1

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Sherman is fixed and we still have this issue. He doesn't want to play with other dogs he wants to mount them. Even a big ball, garden hose, pillow, are not safe. And, just like your guy, he gets so overworked he loses all reason and I am afraid he's going to have a stroke. Eager to get some advice too.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
hmmm it's not that he's horny its dominance. I'm sure the experts will be here to give you advice on how to manage that :). lovely boy BTW.

Thanks for the comment. I never thought this as a sign of dominance and this is definitely an interesting take on it.

It is probably worth mentioning that JJ is very timid. He is scared by pretty much most things. He regularly gets bullied by miniature poodles, schnauzers, and other dogs half his size. So much so that he would rollover with all four legs in the air or turn and runaway when they act aggressive towards him. One time we brought back a 2month kitten and he got so scared when the little kitten hissed at him that he peed a little on the carpet as he ran away. It is not that he is scared of all dogs because he would happily go and sniff/lick privates of any dog he meets but when they get angry and bark or act aggressive to him, he will get very scared or be submissive. I am worried his humping behaviour will get him seriously injured as there have been some close calls where the dog he tries to mounts, turns and ttys to snap at him.

At least i know that i am not alone on this and may be getting him 'fixed' may not make it any better. :(

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
well he would only dominate dogs that he thinks he can. he is trying to figure out his pecking order so to say. he wouldn't ofcourse try to challenge a dog who is more assertive than he is. mine is very submissive too and i am very thankful for that but he would try to pee "mark" on the other dogs' owners as his sign of dominance (yup was headache lol glad that was over). and yes neutering doesn't guarantee that he would stop that behavior nor would a dog be submissive. people with other opinions and advice would come along... i'm pretty sure they would be here soon :). sorry can't give you an advice because mine was just a puppy when we corrected him of this behavior. a 30 kg big boy is another matter ;).

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Getting him fixed could help.....and you are right, if he gets too excited it could NOT end well. Especially if you unknowingly are in the presence of a female in heat. In fact....I think a male dog can smell a female in heat for several miles. I know of 2 male bulldogs that have actually died because of being too excited in the presence of a female in heat. They overheat so easily and their heart just can withstand the amount of effort it takes for them to cool themselves off.

Getting him neutered will help with the hormonal part of it....but you may have some training to do now that it's a learned behavior. Good luck!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, I am not much of an expert on male dogs (or anything) but I had 2 males, and even before they were fixed, when they started to hump, I told them no and did not allow it. At the time, I also had 3 females. I think neutering would help the situation-eventually-along with training. If he wore a proper training collar(which they used to call a "choker") used correctly,when he attempted to mount,along with a verbal command-and a treat when he obeys it, I believe his "obsession" can be over come(if you'll pardon the word.....) This should start when they are pups-but I believe it still can be changed. A special yummy treat-only for "those" occasions. I would say it is part hormones, and part dominance-and because he can! It usually takes a month(after neutering) before the hormones fade out-and he should be healed by then.

B

Baxter Tiberius

I am not sure if i am alone on this but my 2yr old boy is very very horny!

You would be too if you couldn't have sex *or* masturbate! :) This is totally normal. Think about how insane we would be going if we couldn't release....

He will get soooooo excited that he will even end up dry humping the air

This is why I am not convinced of ye olde saying that its "just a dominance thing". Its a hormone thing. They start when they hit puberty. They're horny. Period.

In a sense it isn't sexual because they will hump anything, but in a sense, when you're horny enough you might also hump anything. They don't make movies like American Pie with teenagers sticking it in the apple pie for no reason! Pretty sure he's not trying to dominate the apple pie. They just want to hump.

i think it could be bad for his health

It's not bad for his health. Your bully should be getting his heart rate up at least 3-5 times per week already. If this isn't happening, their health is suffering. Obviously you don't want them to pass out, but I don't think any humping is going to cause cardiac arrest. If it does, then he needs to get out to the park and run 3-5 times a week to strengthen his heart. Bully's have very weak hearts, and its all the more important that they exercise. Humping in my opinion is great exercise. If it's done in the right place at the right time.

Which brings me to my suggestion: Give him something to hump.

husband.jpg

I buy these for baxter and he goes to town in the house for 20-30 minutes at a time. The shape is good for what he's trying to accomplish too. It allows him to hump something completely innocent, rather than an animal. And more importantly, it allows him a "release", which I believe is important for reproductive and hormonal health. I don't believe its healthy for a male of any species to have zero outlet for this, and zero "release" of fluids. In fact I know its not healthy. So I put a blanket down, and I let Baxter go to town a few times a week.

He's usually super horny after seeing all the sexy doggy ladies at the dog park (LOL). So its after the dog park when he gets his freaky-deaky time. I turn on some Barry White, lower the lights, and I actually leave the room. LOL ..

When he's at the dog park I teach him not to bother other dogs. He's only allowed to hump at home with his pillow. This has worked out really well, he gets to "release" (sorry gross i know), his heart rate is up in an air conditioned room, I dont worry about overheating, and all is well with the world!

-B-

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Getting him fixed will help with the hormonal part, and you will have to work on the dominance part of him, through training. It is always healthier to neuter your male dogs when they are not being used as studs.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Is it really a dominance thing? Everyone loves to say that kind of as a "catch phrase". But I haven't seen any science supporting it.

They will hump a pillow just as much as they hump a male dog. There is no canine competition when a pillow is involved.

I think humping is humping. Its instinct. It feels good.

There are videos of dogs rubbing their weiners as well. Saw one recently of a French bulldog clearly masturbating. Are they dominating themselves?

I think its just uncouth behavior that needs to be corrected for social reasons. But its instinct, and it feels good.

I think human beings have translated it into a dominance thing because otherwise their male dog is "gay" if he humps another male dog.

I don't see Pitbulls humping anyone at the dog park, and they are hands down the most dominant dog there. In fact, they dont seem to hump at all. They just act dominant with normal dominant canine behavior.

If humping were part of an act of dominance, there should be indicators of dominant behavior at the same time. Like physically making the other dog submit, growling, biting, or being aggressive. None of that is present during a hump session. They're just grinding their crotch on something.

There was a pregnant dog at the park yesterday. Actually she had just given birth 7 days prior. Five male dogs were desperately trying to hump her. It was a mass hump fest.

Why? Because they could smell the hormones she was giving off still. 4 of the 5 dogs were neutered.

-B-

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I don't think humping is always dominance, actually I don't think it is at all. Mounting- yes. Being above or climbing upon another dog- yes. But humping.... No. I find whenever my dogs have ever humped it was because they were really excited, playful and happy. Or around a female in heat. Just my thoughts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
I have 2 male bullies and the older one was 1 1/2 and nuetered already when I got him and he would try to hump me, which I always thought was a dominance thing and it was kind of scary when he would do it because he is strong and a bit aggressive but when I brought home my second male who was 4 months and also nuetered he never did that to me again but the two of them go at it like crazy fighting and trying to hump each other..the younger one will try to hump anyone that comes near him me, my husband, children, repair men etc but will stop when he is corrected but the older one does not so I guess we know who the alpha is around here

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
Also I have a friend with a female bully that is much smaller than my boys and when we get together her girl humps the boys but they never try to hump her??

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
Thanks for the reply and great advice! He has a large stuffed dog toy which we used to give him to play with to 'release' some of the pressure building inside, how ever we stopped letting him play with it as much after his penis got infected and we had to take him to the vet. We now only give it to him to play with once in a while.

The advice from everyone here is very helpful. I am strongly considering to getting him fixed but my worry is that it will change him too much because apart from the humping, he is the perfect dog.

Thank you all!!! :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.