Poor little Bocephus is going in for surgery again on his eye - scrolled cartilage

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Since Bocephus' eye issue was a little bit more complicated than the normal cherry eye fix, he will be going to the doggy ophthalmologist tomorrow morning. Which means another skipped breakfast for the hungriest bulldog in the world :dog1: He will be evaluated and if everything is good, they will do the surgery right afterwards.

I have been a ton of research on the scrolled cartilage issue and wanted to add some info so if someone has this come up with their pup in the future maybe it will help. The following are taken from a myriad of websites which I've included links to.

The Third Eyelid has cartilage in it which is responsible for maintaining the normal structure of the third eyelid. In some giant breeds, such as Newfoundlands, St Bernards, Mastiffs, Bloodhounds and Great Danes, there can be an abnormality of this cartilage. This is called a scrolled cartilage. The problem is an anatomic one, and surgery is needed. The procedure is very successful, but there are chances of complications as with any surgery. After surgery, your pet may need to have drops or ointment placed into the eye. http://www.eyeclinicforanimals.com....2013/07/Abnormalities-of-the-Third-Eyelid.pdf

[h=3]what is a "scrolled cartilage" & which dogs are at risk[/h]inversion or eversion of 3rd eyelid
• Spontaneous bend in the stem of the T shaped cartilage
• Young (<6mo) large breed dogs

[h=3]Tx for scrolled cartilage[/h]excise bent section of cartilage on palpebral surface of 3rd eyelid - no suturing needed

Scrolled cartilage, or cartilage eversion
This condition is less common than ‘cherry eye’ and affects young giant breed dogs, usually during the rapid growth phase. The third eyelid has a T-shaped cartilage within it, to provide some rigidity. One small area of the T grows abnormally fast, so that the cartilage becomes bent, everted or ‘scrolled’. This results in the whole third eyelid becoming scrolled so that it appears as a pink to reddish mass in the corner of the eye. A scrolled cartilage can appear very similar to a ‘cherry eye’ and examination under general anaesthesia may be necessary to distinguish the different conditions.

As with ‘cherry eye’, there is no medical treatment to correct the abnormal cartilage and an operation is required. The operation is straightforward as the abnormal part of the cartilage is identified, dissected free and completely removed. Recurrence is highly unlikely in the same eye.

What is involved?
Your pet will need a general anaesthetic for the operation and will usually stay in the hospital for 1-2 nights. All sutures placed will be dissolvable, so suture removal will not be necessary. A Buster collar or light foot bandage may be required to prevent self-trauma to the eye region for the first few days after surgery.

After-care
Antibiotic and/or anti-inflammatory eye drops or ointment will be prescribed for 7-10 days. Oral medication will also usually be prescribed for 5-10 days.
Rest is advised for the first 5-7 days. Swimming or bathing of the head area should be avoided for the first 14 days. The third eyelid may appear more prominent for several days but this resolves in most cases.

Recurrence
The ‘pocket’ technique is approximately 90% successful. However there are certain breeds in which the condition is more difficult to treat and a second operation may be required. In rare cases, the ophthalmologist may advise removal of the gland, and this will be discussed fully beforehand if relevant.

Some breeds are predisposed to developing both conditions, either at the same time, or within several months of the first symptoms being noticed. Both conditions can affect one or both eyes, although usually there is a delay between the first and second eye being affected.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Grateful 'Thank You's' for sharing this info & educating us.

Prayers for successful, quick & uncomplicated recovery for Bo.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for sharing this, I had no idea this even existed until this happened to Bo. He will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCh... that has to be so uncomfortable even painful... poor Bo! Hugs, prayers and positive thoughts to you both.

Please keep us posted!

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Thank you all!!! I am worried of course but he's going into some great hands.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Sending :pray: and :hug: to you and Bocephus for tomorrow.

Thank you for sharing this info I didn't know either about it. Ftse had Cherry eye op when he was five months I am so thankful it went well.

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Bulldozersma Keep us updated. :hug:
Thank you everyone. He had his exam this morning and I had to leave him there for the surgery.
Apparently this this condition is much more complicated than the normal cherry eye fix. The surgeon told me that she will need to go in and actually heat up (she said burn) the cartilage to force it back into shape and then stitch the pocket closed - they are going to do both his eyes today. He will have stitches in them for 2 weeks and limited visibility. He'll also need to wear the dreaded cone the entire time. In about 2 weeks he'll go back and have the stitches removed. They won't dissolve on their own.

I came into the office but I'm a nervous wreck. My poor baby.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Prayers for your boy during and after surgery.:pray::pray::pray: and for you,too. Take a xanax!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor guy, he'll be so happy to see you though! Sorry you have to work, we're in the same boat. :mellow:

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you both. I came back to the office because I'm afraid if I stayed at the Vet Hospital I would just cry. They said he should be ready to be picked up in about 5 hours or so.
I'm really really really hoping everything goes smoothly.
I'm also praying that Embrace Insurance will cover their 80% of this once everything is said and done. The surgery today will be upwards of $2,000

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope everything goes well for your boy, and thanks for the info.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.