Shedding like crazy!

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Hi everyone, I believe that Sherman has seasonal flank alopecia. At least from the pictures I've looked at, he is spot on! But, he is shedding a whole lot everywhere else too. Not down to his skin like on the sides, but I have never seen so much hair in my life. He has always been a shedding dog, but this is nuts! Nothing has really changed for him except the season, and he is on an antibiotic for his tail pocket, since his tail amputation is scheduled for the 30th. I thought it might be the meds, but frankly this was happening before we started with this regiments. Is it just the time of year, or do you guys think it could be something else? He does talk Benadryl every day and he has been licking paws some. Just wondering if he could have another underlying problem.....gosh I hope not!
Thanks

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Jovi has been shedding right crazy as well. I will brush her and fill the brush 5 times and it would still keep going. I cant go two feet without getting hair on me. I think its just the season

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea is blowing her coat as well. Mostly due to the change of seasons, but some of hers is allergy related.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
My sofa is about ready to give birth to a new dog and that's after vacuuming 3 days ago! the shedding is really crazy.

B

Baxter Tiberius

@Jonel is your dog on a completely grain free food? I'm just curious, because I keep hearing about English bulldogs that are dosing with Benadryl every single day, and it wonder if it's necessary. I've made sure to control Baxters food very carefully, no inflammatory ingredients of any kind, and he's never had to take Benadryl. Not even once. Just trying to determine if the food is the difference? If so maybe a diet change could get your pup off meds. A generalized inflammation that requires Benadryl at all times, would also increase shedding. Even though Baxter doesn't really have any skin conditions, I do have to brush him every single day, or there is hair everywhere. I thought that was just an English bulldog thing though. If it's not, I would probably just blame his hormones. As he has not been fixed yet. We are in Miami, so it's always warm. No real change of seasons to explain it.

OP
Jonel

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Yep, Sherman is grain free and doesn't even eat any other treats....poor guy! I feel better knowing that others are experiencing the same thing. I have company coming this weekend and I went through a whole box of dry swifter things and I have a "clean house".

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be he is blowing his coat....

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Its this time of the year -as soon as my girls reached 1 ,even tho they on a good diet, with fish oils, etc they have now started blowing their coat
Paw licking could be the sign of an allergy , the hardest thing is to determinate what is it-could be food or environmental -and try to remove it x
Please keep us posted

DaisyMae

Apr 17, 2014
My baby is white and my bedding is black so you can imagine . I have thought bout vacuuming her.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ZuleikaD

Mar 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tallulah
Tallulah is blowing her coat, too. I ran into someone last week who said their EBD started just dumping hair on almost the same day a few weeks ago. It's the weather. Its mostly done now.

She also takes antihistamines everyday (hydroxyzine). She's on grain-free, chicken-free, and a lot of other thing-free food. All her treats are the same. Even so, spring came, the pollen came and she still needed a cortisone shot for the itching. She's still got some lingering allergies, which could be anything at this point. If we figure out what they are and can eliminate them from her life, great. But I know plenty of people who take daily antihistamines for allergies, too. If that's what she need to be comfortable, then she'll get them.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online