The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
My poor little girl. She can't win for losing. As most of you know Harlea has been sick for the last month and a half. First she had a staph infection. Next she had pneumonia. Then the staph infection was taken care of but the antibiotics caused yeast all over her belly but the pneumonia cleared up. We went back to the vet yesterday for another checkup and most of the yeast is gone but some is still there and of course it is spreading to her paws and front leg now even with the baths, soakings and twice daily wipe downs. To make matters worse with all of this we found out the hard way that Harlea was allergic to one of the antibiotics she was taking so we just had a culture sent to an outside lab to identify all of the antibiotics that she could possibly be allergic to so we know in the future what she can be given for infections and not make the same mistake.

My girls immune system is just in shambles right now with all the meds she has been on and probiotics and yogurt can't keep up. I had no choice yesterday but to give her prednisone to relieve some of the itching as the supply of the new anti itch medication Apoquel which blocks the itch receptors only and does not have the nasty side effects of steroids has been on back order since its release back in January. While that medication doesn't' fix the problem it goes a long way to keep her from scratching herself bloody while we find out what is going on so we are on the list to get it when it becomes available next month.

So... After we get the results of the culture for the antibiotics allergy test later this week we will be looking at having blood drawn to environmental allergy testing shortly afterwards. i hate putting my baby through all of this but i have got to figure out what is causing her discomfort now. The odd part of all of this is that she doesn't have a speck of yeast or tear stain on her face.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
awww. sending love my way. hope everything gets better and she clears up quick!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
sweet Harlea. I hope all gets better and she heals up!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Poor Harlea. Doesn't it seem that when the Sh*t hits the fan with these dogs it really hits?? I hope the baby feels better soon and you get the answers to help her fast. Give her love and hugs from the O'Toole gang!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Todd, I'm so sorry to hear about Harlea… I agree w/the testing, you might as well go ahead and figure out what else she's allergic to. Bella had issues for years, and I wish we would of done it… she was on meds forever :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor baby girl, the cycle of meds has really gotten to her :(. Give her our love :grouphug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Poor little gal. Poor Mom and Dad, too. I know how worrying about our "kids" wears us down,too. Many prayers for you all that she will soon be her happy,healthy little self!

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
ohhh no :( poor baby! *sigh. we are just in shambles when they are sick. sending tight hugs to your little girl. Get well soon Harlea.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sorry Todd, she can't get a break!! I hope all of the testing shows whats going on so she can heal. You're great parents to have it all done and get her healed, there are so many out there that would toss in the towel.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My poor little girl. She can't win for losing. As most of you know Harlea has been sick for the last month and a half. First she had a staph infection. Next she had pneumonia. Then the staph infection was taken care of but the antibiotics caused yeast all over her belly but the pneumonia cleared up. We went back to the vet yesterday for another checkup and most of the yeast is gone but some is still there and of course it is spreading to her paws and front leg now even with the baths, soakings and twice daily wipe downs. To make matters worse with all of this we found out the hard way that Harlea was allergic to one of the antibiotics she was taking so we just had a culture sent to an outside lab to identify all of the antibiotics that she could possibly be allergic to so we know in the future what she can be given for infections and not make the same mistake.

My girls immune system is just in shambles right now with all the meds she has been on and probiotics and yogurt can't keep up. I had no choice yesterday but to give her prednisone to relieve some of the itching as the supply of the new anti itch medication Apoquel which blocks the itch receptors only and does not have the nasty side effects of steroids has been on back order since its release back in January. While that medication doesn't' fix the problem it goes a long way to keep her from scratching herself bloody while we find out what is going on so we are on the list to get it when it becomes available next month.

So... After we get the results of the culture for the antibiotics allergy test later this week we will be looking at having blood drawn to environmental allergy testing shortly afterwards. i hate putting my baby through all of this but i have got to figure out what is causing her discomfort now. The odd part of all of this is that she doesn't have a speck of yeast or tear stain on her face.

I'm really sorry to hear this, but we have similar issues.

Regarding Apoquel. I've been following it since first hearing about it a while ago. They did a two year study I believe, and found the side effects to be minimal. It's being hailed as the miracle drug by vets. It is on back order, for regular vets, but most dermatologists will have it as that's who the company released it to. So you can try to get a referral from your vet and get her on Apoquel sooner.

Blue had the blood allergy test done recently. It showed he wasn't allergic to anything other than Corn pollen and wheat. The test was wrong. Blue has other allergies. The blood one is not as effective as the skin one which is supposed to be the "Gold Standard". So keep that in mind.

It's spring, I've been using Claritin to keep his allergies tolerable. I know it's difficult to watch them scratch themselves raw. Last year I put a shirt on Blue to keep him from bloodying up his belly. You should try something similar. Here's a pic.
View attachment 69313

Good luck and keep us updated. Hugs to both you and Harlea.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
So sad to hear...life isn't good if our babies aren't good.

Strengthening prayers for Harlea & for your family~Hugs!

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] We are with you on the shirt as you are right. it is the only way to keep them from scratching themselves bloody. As soon as we take it off to change it or do her wipe down she starts scratching immediately. I am still not fully sold on this being allergy related yet other than maybe the antibiotic allergy as none of her scratching started until she got the staph infection so we will see.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
That is so awful. My bully I had growing up was allergic to grass. So just going out to potty was horrible for him. She is in my thoughts. Hope she feels better soon

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Todd you have all been through the wringer his last couple of months, I hope Harlea gets some relief real soon and I too would do the testing as like Tracey my Pug tei Arnna was on meds for most of her life and was not good. Sending hugs

Most Reactions