Has anyone used Nexgard on their dogs?!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I went to get Frontline for Roxie, and the vets office told me they don't sell it anymore, they use Nexgard...

I bought it, googled it online and couldn't find anything negative so I gave it to her… She seems fine on it, I was just curious if anybody else uses it.

After reading about Trifexis, I just don't trust vets these days… they seem to LOVE to push whatever NEW drug is out on the market. I'm also going thru my own personal medicines… seems like the pharmaceutical companies are running the world right now!!! Very scary… :evil:

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Herschel has been on Trifexis for 2 years and has done great. Always remember that there are dangers that come with all drugs, for pets and people. I haven't used Nexguard. Hope you find the right option for your baby! I'm sure that someone will jump on here with some great info for you.

Sent from my PURPLE Samsung Galaxy S4.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wait... Is this heart worm or flea/tick??

We have used Vectra for a few years without issue, but I never use a whole tube on them. I use most on Banks and the. Finish off on Cheli. When it was the two bully's... I used 1/2 tube on each of them. Never any ticks or fleas on either of them.

heartworm we have used Sentinel for many years without issue

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Herschel has been on Trifexis for 2 years and has done great. Always remember that there are dangers that come with all drugs, for pets and people. I haven't used Nexguard. Hope you find the right option for your baby! I'm sure that someone will jump on here with some great info for you.

I would NOT use Trifexis on my dogs… this article I read is just the tip of the iceberg...
[video]http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/owners-blame-700-dog-deaths-trifexis/nb5B4/[/video]

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wait... Is this heart worm or flea/tick??

We have used Vectra for a few years without issue, but I never use a whole tube on them. I use most on Banks and the. Finish off on Cheli. When it was the two bully's... I used 1/2 tube on each of them. Never any ticks or fleas on either of them.

heartworm we have used Sentinel for many years without issue

It's flea/tick prevention… we use Heartgard for heartworm and never had a problem. They said that many owner's were complaining about Frontline being greasy, and some dogs having bad reactions to it so they stopped selling it at the clinic. We never had a problem with our dogs. Ticks and fleas are HORRID here in TN :evil:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ticks and fleas are HORRID here in TN :evil:

Same here in PA, wish I could for go the stuff, but we have deer through our yard all the time, so not worth the chance

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Same here in PA, wish I could for go the stuff, but we have deer through our yard all the time, so not worth the chance

I would LOVE to stop using it as well. We have SO many deer, possum, raccoons, mosquitoes… it's a JUNGLE out there!!! LOL :bigeyes:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bogey has been on Nexgard for 2 months and has had no issues. We tried Triflexis- made him sooooo sick!! Frontline was ok, but he HATED me putting it on, so I assume it burned. And, yes it was messy!! Very happy with the Nexguard.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey has been on Nexgard for 2 months and has had no issues. We tried Triflexis- made him sooooo sick!! Frontline was ok, but he HATED me putting it on, so I assume it burned. And, yes it was messy!! Very happy with the Nexguard.

Good to hear Mary, I hate trying new stuff on my dogs… makes me nervous :unsure:

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
At the clinic I work for we sell nexgard,comfort is and frontline. That is weird that ur clinic stopped selling frontline because not alot of people have a problem w ticks, just fleas. Nexgard is supposed to be the next big and upcoming product for merial. Our sells rep said the ONLY side effect they have seen in dogs is they throw up after. But if they do u would have to give another dose to them. We are a busy 6 Dr practice and we have not heard any negative side effects from our clients. Thai product has only been out for maybe 2 months now. Nexgard has become so popular that it is already on a 6 month back order after being out fprnonlyn2 months, crazy. But yes I would use it on mine if I had a flea and tick problem

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
At the clinic I work for we sell nexgard,comfort is and frontline. That is weird that ur clinic stopped selling frontline because not alot of people have a problem w ticks, just fleas. Nexgard is supposed to be the next big and upcoming product for merial. Our sells rep said the ONLY side effect they have seen in dogs is they throw up after. But if they do u would have to give another dose to them. We are a busy 6 Dr practice and we have not heard any negative side effects from our clients. Thai product has only been out for maybe 2 months now. Nexgard has become so popular that it is already on a 6 month back order after being out fprnonlyn2 months, crazy. But yes I would use it on mine if I had a flea and tick problem

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for your input… I didn't know that it was brand new!!!

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
About trifexis... I could show you the same stats about febreeze and other drugs. I volunteer for my county's humane society which uses it on the heartworm neg intakes and have had no ill effects except for a couple of upset stomachs. Just like with human medications, some will have bad effects.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Last year and the previous year, I used diatomeceous earth on my dogs(food grade). I got tired of putting expensive poison on them. I have wood and tile floors, but I didn't care, if for a few days there was "powder" on the floors. I figured, if it got in the cracks-even better. If you have carpet-so it gets in the carpet-good. If they lick it,and each other, it won't hurt them. I put it on the dogs, and also sprinkled it on their beds. They had no fleas, or ticks. I hope it works again this year. I used to sprinkle it on the carpets,too, when I had carpet. It destroys the flea and tick's protective shell coating-and they die.So far-they (the fleas) can't become immune to it! Of course the dogs don't like to be fussed with-only when THEY decide, but I insist :D. You can also sprinkle it around outside.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Last year and the previous year, I used diatomeceous earth on my dogs(food grade). I got tired of putting expensive poison on them. I have wood and tile floors, but I didn't care, if for a few days there was "powder" on the floors. I figured, if it got in the cracks-even better. If you have carpet-so it gets in the carpet-good. If they lick it,and each other, it won't hurt them. I put it on the dogs, and also sprinkled it on their beds. They had no fleas, or ticks. I hope it works again this year. I used to sprinkle it on the carpets,too, when I had carpet. It destroys the flea and tick's protective shell coating-and they die.So far-they (the fleas) can't become immune to it! Of course the dogs don't like to be fussed with-only when THEY decide, but I insist :D. You can also sprinkle it around outside.

I would totally do that Lynn, but I have so many allergies that I'm afraid that I would have a reaction to it. I just had a reaction at my nail salon from citrus oil… it was so embarrassing!!! LOL I get shots, but for some reason now my skin has been breaking out. So weird :weird:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You are right [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] the dust of it would probably be bad for you! It is a heavy dust-but with allergies like yours-not so good. AND Tn. is one of the worst states for allergies as it is,too. Better not try it....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.