Ear Infection

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Just got back from the vet this afternoon with Otis's second ear infection in about four months. He is on a grain free diet, gets a tablespoon of organic coconut oil daily, goes on a daily walk and only weighs 48 pounds at 2 years old, so in other words he is not overweight. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why he may be getting these ear infections? Suggestions on other treatments. I read maybe fish oil? I don't like for him to be on meds often so I am willing to try anything helpful. Poor little guy let me put his drops in and then rub his ear for about 15 minutes, so it had to be hurting him.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Deanna, sorry you're going through this with Otis. I don't have any experience with ear infections, but just want to say I'm sorry, and hope he feels better soon. It sounds like you've tried everything, and trying to get the ear infections under control. The only things I can think of that can cause ear infections are yeast, food allergies, or getting water in the ears when having a bath. When I bath my guys, I soap up their bodies and rinse them with a hand held shower head, but I use soap,on a face cloth to wash their faces, and ears, and don't let the water run into their ears. Then I make sure I dry their head and ears really well after. I use unscented baby wipes in between their baths to clean their ears, faces, and nose ropes.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Deanna I was thinking the same as Monica with the ear infections allergies maybe to food and the water in the ears as Monica stated can cause the infections in ears I have learnt this over the years. Hope you sot out all the problems with Otis's ears.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks gets them a lot too.... It can be from seasonal/environmental allergies. Spring is her hell so right now I am watching her ears closely ...vinager/water mix or witch hazel to clean and rise them out at least every other day. I also keep a bottle of Tresaderm on hand for when I see the infection has already started.... if that does not stop it, then off to the vet for antibiotics

OP
Deanna1489

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
My little buddy still does not feel good today. Sometimes when I have Otis in the bath believe it not he sticks his head in the water. That just may be the cause!! I always dry his ears, but I am sure he gets water in them sometimes. I may have to start giving him baby baths. Thanks for all the tips.

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Lily has been having a issue with ear infections as well. I'm thinking it's allergies to.
I'm going to try the vinager/water mix that 2BullyMama said and I will get a bottle of Tresaderm to keep on hand.

Benedict2013

Dec 25, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Benedict
Please could some one share the ratio of vinegar to water or cups Benedict hates the ear cleaner he bared his teeth at me for the first time ever do I'm desperate to try something else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Please could some one share the ratio of vinegar to water or cups Benedict hates the ear cleaner he bared his teeth at me for the first time ever do I'm desperate to try something else Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 parts water, 1 part vinegar -- is what I do. I keep it in a little jar that I can easily squeeze into her ear and rub, then let her shake it out

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
3 parts water, 1 part vinegar -- is what I do. I keep it in a little jar that I can easily squeeze into her ear and rub, then let her shake it out

Bifi is currently suffering from ear infection too. We got Saline solution from the vet yesterday to rinse it out and when dry, squirt antibiotic into his ear but i read vinegar works too. does the amount of vinegar sulution matter when i squeeze it to the ear? how do i know everything's out? and do i rinse it with water? i'm actually worried not all of the saline solution or any liquid not being shaken out and being trapped in the ear causing more infection.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi is currently suffering from ear infection too. We got Saline solution from the vet yesterday to rinse it out and when dry, squirt antibiotic into his ear but i read vinegar works too. does the amount of vinegar sulution matter when i squeeze it to the ear? how do i know everything's out? and do i rinse it with water? i'm actually worried not all of the saline solution or any liquid not being shaken out and being trapped in the ear causing more infection.

yes, it can.... i do just a quick squirt and she will shake like mad

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Thank you! but how much do i squirt or it doesn't really matter how much?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
@2BullyMama ok thank you again! :) i have to use the saline solution since i paid for it but will try the vinegar solution after.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I've heard the Bert's Bees Ear Cleaner gets them super clean.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Just posted this video in another thread, really good to show how to clean ears properly.

Put cotton balls in the ears during baths and play pool time too, always clean ears right after bath or pool time to make sure no water got in there.

If any did, the ear cleaner will help get it out and dry out any residual water.

http://youtu.be/MZeMmDBq2QE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.