General Question Heartworm positive

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Fiona, as I pretty much expected is heartworm positive. Anyone go through the slow kill treatment? I'm of course nervous.

I know that the rescue orgs are familiar with it but I wanted to ask here first.

Sent from my PURPLE Samsung Galaxy S4.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor girl..... i have no experience with this, but I am sure someone here has and will be along shortly.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Oh you're in florida like me. I just now started Baxter on Heartworm meds. But I am breaking all the rules and splitting his tablet up into 4ths, and giving it to him every week. Instead of mega-dosing him for a whole month up front. I hope this still protects him. What were the first symptoms?

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
This is a new rescue that just came home with me. No coughing or anything. Vet said it was a weak positive but positive nonetheless. Poor dear.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Oh poor Fiona, I so hope the treatment goes well sending prayers for a quick and speedy recovery

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Hope she responds to treatment well and recovers quickly. Keeping positive!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Back in the 1960's, we had two dogs, who were HW positive. At that time, we had never even heard of HW. The treatment since then, may be a little "kinder"' to their system, but the drugs are pretty much the same in IV. Wehn they came home-they had to take pills, which at the time were purple. When they would occasionally vomit, it was purple, and would stain. Surely now, there are different follow up meds. Both dogs did pretty well with their treatments, and had no ill affects, once hw neg. Sorry,, I have no updated info.(actually I am glad about that...)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sorry to have no experience w/this, I've heard the treatment is hard
on them but being as she is a weak positive maybe not as long for her.
Ask the rescue org as they should know...why didn't they start her on
them? There are holistic methods that aren't poison or hard on them.
Are you interested in that option?

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
She is a rescue but not from an org. I was waiting on a rescue from 2 orgs when I got a call from a coworker Thursday about a backyard breeder in Ga about to dump Fiona off to a receptacle outside a kill shelter. Since I foster for my local humane society, and have a bulldog, I was asked if I could pick her up. I figured it was in the stars for her to be with me because I had been looking and she basically fell into my life. My county has no shelter so all of our furry friends are fostered by volunteers.

I just was wondering if any in bulldog rescue knew how they handle the slow kill as opposed to the other.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=4809]Danielle[/MENTION], if you are in our Facebook group contact ebrn Houston - many or most of their rescues at ebrn Houston are hw positive so I know they have tons of experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Thanks! Will do that. I'm familiar with the treatment but just wondering if anything special to watch out for with bullies.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Praying for Beautiful Fiona, Keep us posted on how this Beautiful Girl is doing.

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Spoke with someone at the rescue that was suggested and got lots of great advice. I am still a bit terrified, but we will make it through. I am just so angry at what those people did to her.

Since she won't be able to do much when the treatment starts, especially depending on which way we go with it, I took her and Hershel out for a treat today. You can see Fiona in her new Sunday dress in the photo forum. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.