Bad skin allergies?

Dexter21

Nov 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Been dealing with this for too long. He is on simplicef antibiotic right now. He has a skin issue that turns him into an alligator and sheds/dandruff like crazy. He is currently eating canidae pure elements lamb. Other than his bad skin issue he has no other problems his skin is just soo dry and ugly all the time. Has anyone ever given their bully MSM vitamin? He is an inside dog and I just have no clue why his skin is like this. HELP also noticed what looks like a hot spot?
qynesu5e.jpg
avyre5yd.jpg
egypara3.jpg

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
has he been scraped for demodex mange? Thats what Leo looked like when he had demodex.... patchy with red angry scaly parts. It took 9 weeks of Ivermec to get rid of it. Does he have a "mousy" smell?If not demodex than perhaps he is allergic to lamb?
My Lola is slightly allergic to lamb and my sister's dog had crazy skin problems until she eliminated lamb. Apparently, lots of dogs are allergic. Duck is supposed to be best for allergies. No amount of vitamins and fish oils worked until I started her on desensitization therapies for her other environmental allergies. Unfortunately this involved a pretty costly skin allergy test.
Also, you can try benzoyl peroxide shampoo as it is the only product that acts as a follicle flush and is one of the best antiseptic shampoos out there. DermaBenSs is the brand I use and buy from Amazon.

OP
Dexter21

Dexter21

Nov 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Thanks a lot for the info. It's not mange. He has had numerous skin scrapings and all negative. Vet bills are getting costly at $300+ every trip. I'm gonna have to give the Duck a try I always avoided it because I thought it was too close to chicken. It's weird because it's only on his back portion. Paws look good and no red or swollen.
zu8uzana.jpg

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Lola's dermatologist said the proteins that many dogs are allergic to are chicken and/or turkey, beef, and lamb... in that order. The most novel proteins that do not cause allergies are rabbit, duck, venison. Unfortunately, changing the protein will only help if that is the ingredient that the dog is allergic to. Have you tried grain free or raw? Food allergies often involve licking and chewing feet, which you said he does not do. Does he have environmental allergies like pollen or grass? Is he itchy? Back and tail skin problems are usually due to fleas, but I am sure he is on a good flea preventative.
Sorry for so many questions. I went through it all when trying to figure out what Lola was allergic to and it was a nightmare until I did the serum testing (VARL blood test) at the vet which was about $340. Later when I did the skin test the results were very similar to the blood test, but the skin test was about $500 but was necessary to create a desensitization vaccines. Good luck. I know how frustrating it is.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, since he's been tested and had skin scrapings to rule out Mange, then I would think it's allergy related. Try switching to Duck and no grains and see how he does. It could take up a month to see the benefits and changes of the new food. Also salmon oil can help the skin and coat, as well as apple cider vinegar and warm water rinses. I hope you find a solution. Feel better Dexter.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi, since he's been tested and had skin scrapings to rule out Mange, then I would think it's allergy related. Try switching to Duck and no grains and see how he does. It could take up a month to see the benefits and changes of the new food. Also salmon oil can help the skin and coat, as well as apple cider vinegar and warm water rinses. I hope you find a solution. Feel better Dexter.
[MENTION=10343]Dexter21[/MENTION] ^^^^^ :up:

OP
Dexter21

Dexter21

Nov 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Thanks I'm gonna give it a try. I already put ACV in his water bowl but gonna try the warm water/ACV rinse.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks I'm gonna give it a try. I already put ACV in his water bowl but gonna try the warm water/ACV rinse.

something i thought of.... you could use coconut oil in place of salmon. My girl is allergic to chicken and has sensitivity to salmon so it might be good to try that instead.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks Christine, I want to try my guys on coconut oil after I use up the salmon and cod liver oil. Blossom gets cod liver oil, because she is allergic to chicken and salmon, and Dozer gets salmon oil, but it would be easier to have them both on the same thing, and I've heard lots of good things about coconut oil.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online