Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default What To Do When Your Dog Is Stung By A Bee

What to Do If Your Dog Is Stung by a Bee

by VETDEPOT on APRIL 1, 2014

Spring is officially here, which may mean your canine companion is enjoying more time outside! Dogs are curious and playful by nature, which puts them at an increased risk for bee stings when exploring the outdoors.

Signs that your dog may have been stung by a bee include yelping, scratching or licking at the site of the sting, and redness. If your dog is stung, try to remove the stinger as quickly as possible. Itís important to do this with a flat surface like a credit card. Attempting to remove the stinger with your fingers or tweezers will likely expose your dog to more venom. For dogs that arenít experiencing any alarming symptoms, a cold compress to reduce any inflammation and some rest is often sufficient.

However, some dogs do suffer from serious allergic reactions to bee stings. If your dog experiences severe swelling, hives, difficulty breathing, or vomiting, itís important to seek immediate veterinary attention. Allergic reactions can become life threatening in a very short amount of time. Emergency veterinary care typically includes IV fluids and steroid injections.

To prevent stings, owners should keep pets away from flower beds and supervise their canine companions while outside. Always keep a veterinarianís phone number within easy reach should an emergency situation occur.

Share and enjoy
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What To Do When Your Dog Is Stung By A Bee

Every single time my bullies have been stung by something, their faces swelled up… and I gave them benadryl and took them immediately to the vets because their faces started swelling. It happened to Bella and Winston… for some reason they LOVED bees… LOL

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Every single time my bullies have been stung by something, their faces swelled upÖ and I gave them benadryl and took them immediately to the vets because their faces started swelling. It happened to Bella and WinstonÖ for some reason they LOVED beesÖ LOL

Banks' twice, had this happen and her breathing was very labored too
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for this Monica I was just thinking about this yesterday as the bees are in full bloom out here!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

We had a Beagle that got bit on her tongue, She started vomiting and then went into anaphylaxis shock and when limp with labored breathing. Could not get Benedryl in her for the vomiting, and once she went limp, there was not way, so we scooped her up and went to the emergency vet which was 30 minutes away. By the time we got there she started to come around and withing 10 minutes was fine, so we took her home. But we thought we were going to loose her.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meatball Tyler
    Likes (Received)

Meatball got stung last summer by wasps. They are everywhere around here! He jumped, and started running around the pool. After about 4 good laps around he stopped. I checked him he was red, swollen where stung, licked it quite a bit. Other than that was fine. I didn't notice anything else, other than he wasn't too playful the rest of the day

Bulldog(s) Names
    Koozer
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what to do when we sitting outside on a restaurant patio and koozer kept trying to bite the bee that was flying around near the flower bed. I was curious if they can have a severe reaction like anaphylaxis...guess so.

Remove Ads