Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
What to Do If Your Dog Is Stung by a Bee

by VETDEPOT on APRIL 1, 2014

Spring is officially here, which may mean your canine companion is enjoying more time outside! Dogs are curious and playful by nature, which puts them at an increased risk for bee stings when exploring the outdoors.

Signs that your dog may have been stung by a bee include yelping, scratching or licking at the site of the sting, and redness. If your dog is stung, try to remove the stinger as quickly as possible. Itā€™s important to do this with a flat surface like a credit card. Attempting to remove the stinger with your fingers or tweezers will likely expose your dog to more venom. For dogs that arenā€™t experiencing any alarming symptoms, a cold compress to reduce any inflammation and some rest is often sufficient.

However, some dogs do suffer from serious allergic reactions to bee stings. If your dog experiences severe swelling, hives, difficulty breathing, or vomiting, itā€™s important to seek immediate veterinary attention. Allergic reactions can become life threatening in a very short amount of time. Emergency veterinary care typically includes IV fluids and steroid injections.

To prevent stings, owners should keep pets away from flower beds and supervise their canine companions while outside. Always keep a veterinarianā€™s phone number within easy reach should an emergency situation occur.

Share and enjoy

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Every single time my bullies have been stung by something, their faces swelled upā€¦ and I gave them benadryl and took them immediately to the vets because their faces started swelling. It happened to Bella and Winstonā€¦ for some reason they LOVED beesā€¦ LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Every single time my bullies have been stung by something, their faces swelled upā€¦ and I gave them benadryl and took them immediately to the vets because their faces started swelling. It happened to Bella and Winstonā€¦ for some reason they LOVED beesā€¦ LOL

:up: Banks' twice, had this happen and her breathing was very labored too

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for this Monica I was just thinking about this yesterday as the bees are in full bloom out here!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We had a Beagle that got bit on her tongue, She started vomiting and then went into anaphylaxis shock and when limp with labored breathing. Could not get Benedryl in her for the vomiting, and once she went limp, there was not way, so we scooped her up and went to the emergency vet which was 30 minutes away. By the time we got there she started to come around and withing 10 minutes was fine, so we took her home. But we thought we were going to loose her.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Meatball got stung last summer by wasps. They are everywhere around here! He jumped, and started running around the pool. After about 4 good laps around he stopped. I checked him he was red, swollen where stung, licked it quite a bit. Other than that was fine. I didn't notice anything else, other than he wasn't too playful the rest of the day:(

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Thanks for the info. I was wondering what to do when we sitting outside on a restaurant patio and koozer kept trying to bite the bee that was flying around near the flower bed. I was curious if they can have a severe reaction like anaphylaxis...guess so.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.