General Question Worried!!!

Cornbread 777

Apr 7, 2014
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Cornbread
So I'm new to this site and the bulldog world. I've had my dog for just about a month now. I bought him at 3 years old. I didn't know that he had tail pocket problems or even what that was. So, I got him to the vet he got a steroid shot and antibiotics. I've also been cleaning him like crazy. I took him to another vet and he suggest the tail removal which I've thought about and he's going to do it in the morning. I'm worried and just want some reassurance and recovery time? Thanks in advance

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
We have had a few members go through this [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]?Good luck, I know your baby will be fine. Update tomorrow when he's out of surgery.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry you're going through this with your baby, I don't have any experience with tail pockets, as my guys don't have one. I hope his surgery goes well, and he gets relief from his tail pocket infections. I know many other members have also gone through this, and have had great results after the surgery. I hope all goes well with surgery tomorrow, and he is okay. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way for a successful surgery, and a quick recovery. Please keep us posted on how he does.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] had Vegas's removed too, and she is glad she did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
we don't have problems with this with Ftse but just sending my prayers for tomorrow.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
We had it done and we are glad! My suggestions are get tons of blankets and sheets to cover your flooring and furniture. There will be a lot of seeping.....and it sucks. About 2 to 3 days in it starts to get better. By this time they are wanting to play...but you need to keep them calm. Make sure you get tramadol and Rimadyl for post op pain. Rimadyl didn't do it for Vegas and he was in too much pain. The tramadol helped him out. Basically they will be messing with the tail vertebrae and it's a very VERY delicate surgery. Make sure you have a vet that is familiar with bulldogs and this type of surgery. There are many bulldogs that do not recover from the anesthesia....so make sure there is someone with him 24/7. They are hard to intubate .....so this is why you need a dr who is familiar and comfortable with bulldog anatomy.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
The recovery time will vary from one bully to another but I'd say it took about 3 full days for Finn to feel like himself again. Like Cheryl said, you really need to watch him closely post-surgery, making sure they are calm and comfortable. I took about 10 days off from work b/c I knew I'd need to be home to watch him. Finn was also on the Rimadyl, Tramadol, and a Fentanyl patch. The fentanyl though didn't agree with him and I had the vet take that off sooner than expected. It caused him great agitation/anxiety. Did you say Cornbread's surgery is today already? I do wish him great success with the tail surgery. I know it's worrisome when our bully's have to go under anesthesia and have procedures done but in the long run, he will feel so much better. Please let us know how Cornbread does!

OP
C

Cornbread 777

Apr 7, 2014
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Cornbread
Thanks everybody for all the prayers!!! I will let yawl know soon as I find out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!!

hugs and prayers that all goes well today. Please keep us posted

OP
C

Cornbread 777

Apr 7, 2014
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Cornbread
Cornbread is doing fine. Just a little groggy and sore he'll be coming home from the vet tomorrow. Thank you everyone for the prayers and concern!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad to hear the surgery went well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
My Santino also had this surgery about 3 yrs ago and it was the BEST decision I ever made for him and I have no doubt you will be saying the same thing!!!!! xoxoxo to your baby!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.