Cherry eye popping up

Txarmywife

Oct 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
Our sweet boy Sancho is 8 1/2 months. We first started noticing at around 5 months or so he would get a cherry eye randomly in his right eye. It would always go down after a few minutes/hours. And could be weeks or more without it reoccurring. Well yesterday it was rather large. I thought for sure there was no way it would go down but sure enough he woke up this morning with it gone and it hasn't returned. I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this? Should I start thinking about surgery for him or only if it stays? It almost seems like it's because his nose rope/wrinkles push it up and then once he moves his face some sort of way, it goes back down. I really have yet to find a correlation between what causes it to go down or pop up. It seems like it has a mind entirely of it's own and is causing me a lot more stress than he is haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We waited until we couldn't get it back in before having the tucking surgery done. It's very common in bulldogs and it's cause is just weak connective tissue.

Thing is, if it comes out in one eye, it will generally happen in the other eventually as well. So since it's going back in on it's own, and he'll probably get it in his left eye too, I'd just wait before having any surgery done.

With Blue, it took about 4 months after getting it in his left eye, before the right one came out.

OP
T

Txarmywife

Oct 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
Thank you! It has come out in his left eye but one a couple times for mere minutes...and it was when he was growing rather fast as a puppy. Now it's just the right eye...which was also the eye that had much more tear staining than the other. We switched to Wellness Core Ocean...absolutely no poultry or grain treats...and the tear staining is nearly non existent but the cherry eye is still happening on that side. The majority of the time it resembles the look of a badder hound or Great Dane...just that droopy red look where as other times it actually is a red spot that goes up over the white of his eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Herschel has the same thing in one eye. Thanks to some online research and an awesome vet, I have learned how to manipulate it back down. They don't want to do surgery since it is such an intermittent problem. Good luck to you!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.