Help Needed! To amputate or not to amputate?

Fyasmom01

Apr 4, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sa-Fya
:(
I am a new English owner, Ive had my baby girl Sa-Fya for about 3 days now. I took her for her first Vet visit and the Vet is suggesting that I have her tail amputated? I asked the breeder and she stated that it is un-necessary, any suggestions? I tried to clean under it today and she protested :(, is this safe? Thats part of her spine!
Please help, any suggestions on keeping her little bottom clean would be great!
Thanx Guys!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Oh what a dilemma, I would try cleaning regularly before amputating and see how that goes.
@Cali baker has just been through this with Finn maybe she can help you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lisa and Julie gave you great info to read up on.... Our girl is almost 9 and our vet told us at age of 6 months she may have to lose her tail... He gave us all the info we needed to clean and keep it clean, but he still says even though we have done a great job all these years, it can still happen at some point that it would have to be removed. Her tail is so tight to her butt and yes... She HATES when We clean it, but it has to be done at least once a day some times twice

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi [MENTION=11553]Fyasmom01[/MENTION]! Having a tail pocket does not equal needing tail amputation. I would think of amputation as a last resort, if your bully is experiencing tail infections, and even with diligent cleaning, the tail still gets infected, she requires antibiotics and steroids to keep it under control, etc…then you can consider the surgery for her. When you say that Sa-Fya "protested" when you tried to clean her, was it b/c she was in pain? or she's just squirmy. Lots of our bullies don't like to get a cleaning, whether it's the tail pocket or the ears or the facial folds. You can get some Duoxo pads which is basically chlorhexidine in a pad form, and gently clean the pocket there on a regular basis. Always keep the tail pocket dry as moisture is a breeding ground for bacteria and yeast to grow in. I hope this has helped ease your anxiety about the tail pocket a little bit.

OP
F

Fyasmom01

Apr 4, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sa-Fya
Thank you so much @calibaker! When I said she "protested" she didnt growl or whimper she was just as you stated "squirmy". The end of her tail actually does not push into her bottom, its the base of her tail, the end points upwards

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Your puppy will get used to daily cleanings, don't worry! Routine and consistency will work for bullies

sent from my droid mini

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
I agree amputating should be last resort. Moisture is your ememy so the key it to keep it dry. From my experience sometimes food allergies can also play a role in this. Just throwing that out there.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
As long as its kept clean, and most importantly DRY and INFECTION CLEAR, no need for amputation. Gizmo's was a non stop infection, no matter what we did to clean it and keep it dry.... when she was about 12-15 months, we went through with the Amputation... I must say she is a totally different puppy. HAPPY, no longer Sore, likes her bum scratched its. If I would would of known the change, we would of done it SOONER..... but it is LAST RESORT *AND* MAJOR SURGERY

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online