Not eating or drinking and looks depressed

LarryZek

Sep 1, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston hasn't eaten or drank in almost 2 days. He looks depressed. He stopped following me around the house. When I try to pick him up he pees. He refused to eat even when I try to hand feed him. Outside he is a bit more lively but inside he will not move from his bed at all. He threw up last night a little but still has come around. What should I do? He looks really sad and is keeping his head down whenever I come into the room.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=9789]LarryZek[/MENTION] It sounds like it could be obstruction. Get him to a vet with an x-ray /ultrasound machine ASAP!

You're in Brooklyn. If you're around Bayridge or Bensonhurst I'd take him to Richmond Valley Animal Hospital on Arthur Kill Rd. in Staten Island. They're
great with bulldogs and understand all their "unique" issues. I've seen Dr. Christopher Powell there and he's pretty good.

Another option is the AMC (Animal Medical Center) on E 62nd st. in the city off of York Ave. We just had Blue there yesterday for an obstruction and they got the squeaker out via an endoscopy.

This is something you need to take very seriously as the symptoms you're describing point to an obstruction.

OP
L

LarryZek

Sep 1, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Would he be refusing water as well if there's an obstruction?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The fact that he threw up (even a little), not eating, and just moping are all symptoms of obstruction. I don't think accepting, or refusing water makes a difference.

OP
L

LarryZek

Sep 1, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I made an appointment for tomorrow at bath animal hospital. He's been taking a lot of bully classes. He takes care of all my families dogs. I hope my little guy will be okay.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Did you tell them that he hasn't been drinking for two whole days and pees when you lift him? In my opinion this calls for emergency vet, sorry to say. Dry to make him take in some water, even with a syringe.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Great. Hopefully it's nothing, but symptoms like Winstons need to be taken seriously.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm surprised the vet didn't say to bring him in now. I would try to get him in today if possible, he definitely has something going on with him. Also try to get some water in him some how.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would not wait until tomorrow. He sounds obstructed and needs to be seen asap, especially if this has been going on for two days. I don't want to seem like an alarmist but he really needs to be seen now.

OP
L

LarryZek

Sep 1, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Sadly no one can take him in today. It's that kind of day where everyone needs to be at work for one reason or another. Hopefully it's nothing. He is terrified of loud noise and yesterday they were breaking a lock next door that could've scared him. If something falls in the kitchen he avoids it like the plague.

OP
L

LarryZek

Sep 1, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I got him an appointment for 10 am tomorrow. I think insurance should cover the xrays too which is good news.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree he needs to be seen by the vet as soon as possible. Good thing he is going tomorrow, but it's not good that he won't drink any water. You can try giving him some water by syringe, or try some Pedialyte so he doesn't dehydrate. It could be an obstruction, could he have eaten something you may not know about? Please keep us posted on what the vet says, and let us know how he's doing. I hope he's okay, and it's nothing serious. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Prayers and positive thought your little guy is OK.... no food, no water and lethergic is very concerning. I'd be looking for an ER vet and not waiting the 24 hours.

Please keep us posted.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Oh I hope things can wait until tomorrow. My Betsy went through this, I got her asap, thing is, if I had waited one more day, she would not be with me. It was an obstruction and already rotting through her intestine, emergency surgery and removal of 8 inches. She was very very close to dying and she was still at the eating stage but the vomiting had started.

fingers crossed. please keep us posted.

OP
L

LarryZek

Sep 1, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Update. He drank his water and ate the kibble. He will still be going to the vet tomorrow. My grandparents came over to check on their great grandson. Maybe it was a 24 hour bug but still taking him in tomorrow in case. Thank you for all the advice and wishes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online