how to tell if a bulldog is or going into heat.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
I know for a fact I am being paranoid over this. She doesnt get spayed until the 10th and She turned 6 months on the 23rd so she is past the "start" stage.. or atleast where she can possibly start going into heat. I just get paranoid that maybe she might before the 10th and then what! haha but she has definatly been licking down there a lot, but im not sure if she is really just trying to clean it. I havnt seen any signs of blood but I have heard that before they go into heat they show signs of "about to" should I say... So im just nervous. Any tips and advice for me to get over this? Please just tell me im crazy! haha. AND she tried humping my boyfriend for a split second the other night when he came home. I know she was excited and she did jump up and cling to his leg so maybe it was just natural. I dont know.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have mo idea, but a few members that can give some insight are tagged

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Most times they will start swelling a little first. Hopefully she makes it to the 10th. The good news is the first heat can be anytime from 6 to 9 months. Occasionally even longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I know w/Bella she would be very swollen & red down there… and boy was she MOODY!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Temp, they will swell a little at first then start to bleed some.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
With my pug she would swell and lick down there and be a bit snappy

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Swelling for sure. Roxy was really bad swollen, it was like jello! She also got into heat the day was was gone to be spayed. The vet called me that she was bleeding. Funny because when I dropped her off she wasn't or at least I did not see it. They still spayed her. It costed me i think $50 more ( or less) because there was a little more blood then normal.

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Swelling for sure. Roxy was really bad swollen, it was like jello! She also got into heat the day was was gone to be spayed. The vet called me that she was bleeding. Funny because when I dropped her off she wasn't or at least I did not see it. They still spayed her. It costed me i think $50 more ( or less) because there was a little more blood then normal.

how old was she?

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
I can't remember if she was 8 or 9 months. Not younger then that for sure

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June was spayed on her 6th month birthday, and the vet said she we did it just in time because would have gone into heat soon. Not sure how he could tell... but I was relieved! Some don't go into heat until like 9 months old so I'm glad we did it early. Only 6 more days, I hope she makes it :)

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
June was spayed on her 6th month birthday, and the vet said she we did it just in time because would have gone into heat soon. Not sure how he could tell... but I was relieved! Some don't go into heat until like 9 months old so I'm glad we did it early. Only 6 more days, I hope she makes it :)

yes me too. fingers crossed!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online