Help Needed! Bocephus will be having surgery on Friday. What should I expect afterwards?????

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Bocephus is 6 months old now and will be going in to have the cherry eye that has popped on his right eye taken care of. The vet will also be checking his palate at that time. I've decided to have him neutered while he's under to prevent having to have the surgery in the future and having him have to go under again (I know that many member have strong feelings about neutering, especially when they are young).

My question is, what should I expect after the surgery? Although the last vet I had for Rampage wanted to keep him "in patient" for 4 days after neutering (still not sure why, and I didn't get the procedure done) this vet, who I trust very very much, will be releasing Bocephus the same day (barring any issues - please God, don't let there be any issues). I will be with him after they release him and through the weekend.

Do you think I should take more time off work next week or if everything goes well will he be feeling better by Monday? Sorry, I know I'm asking everyone to speculate but any advice you can give me on how your pups reacted, would be greatly appreciated. bocephus cherry eye.jpg

allaboutbulldogs

Mar 25, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
I wouldn't neuter at 6mths but with that said,Won't he be under anesthesia a long time.

Last night my friend said her Vet had refused to neuter her dog until he was past a year old because the higher incidence of bone cancer.
Also with cherry eye surgery make sure the Vet replaces the 3rd eye lid,I he cuts it out your dog will have life long dry eye.

Good luck.

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
Bocephus is 6 months old now and will be going in to have the cherry eye that has popped on his right eye taken care of. The vet will also be checking his palate at that time. I've decided to have him neutered while he's under to prevent having to have the surgery in the future and having him have to go under again (I know that many member have strong feelings about neutering, especially when they are young).

My question is, what should I expect after the surgery? Although the last vet I had for Rampage wanted to keep him "in patient" for 4 days after neutering (still not sure why, and I didn't get the procedure done) this vet, who I trust very very much, will be releasing Bocephus the same day (barring any issues - please God, don't let there be any issues). I will be with him after they release him and through the weekend.

Do you think I should take more time off work next week or if everything goes well will he be feeling better by Monday? Sorry, I know I'm asking everyone to speculate but any advice you can give me on how your pups reacted, would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 68787

well the one male I had neutered several years ago had a bigger incision because is testicles did not drop so they had to search for them so I cant be much help to you for that. Now the cherry eye you will have to watch he doesn't scratch at his eye. They should send him home with a cone on his neck make sure he wears this at all times unless you are right there watching him you don't want him to scratch at it. I will probably be really red and yukkie so you will want to watch that. The girl I had with it I had to wipe her eye with a moist soft cloth to get the gunk out of it. You will also want to watch where the cone is so it doesn't get wet when he drinks. They put a cone on one of my first bulldogs years ago and I didn't think to watch when he drank and his skin got a minor infection (according to the vet) it about gave me a heart attack as his fur turned green (he was white) scared me half to death. Mainly you just watch for any signs it is infected it will look really bad the first week or so.

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "make sure the Vet replaces the 3rd eye lid". He will not be having the eyelid removed. There are many different schools of thought regarding proper age (if any) to neuter and whether there are any health benefits to not doing so. I appreciate your input but my question was for owners that have had experience with their dogs recovery times after surgery.

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you traceylynn172. I appreciate your suggestions. Having adopted my other two at later ages, I am a nervous puppy Mom.

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
I think she is referring to having the cherry eye cut out as to having it tacked back in. Some vet just cut them out an it doesn't require them to be put under. The vet I use only does it in extreme cases such as my rescue girl that has heart problems and can not be put under. She doesn't have dry eye as of yet but she is only 3. The vet said there is a 50 50 chance she will have dry eye when she gets older but then again he also said he didn't expect her to see her first birthday and she turned 3 in feb :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=5523]Bulldozersma[/MENTION] Bullies just need rest after the surgery which is a whole lot easier said then done. :) Try to not let him jump up on things and run around a lot and make sure the incision looks good. He will be back to his normal self so quick afterwards it will surprise you. I love that picture of him, he's a very handsome guy. ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Do you think I should take more time off work next week or if everything goes well will he be feeling better by Monday? Sorry, I know I'm asking everyone to speculate but any advice you can give me on how your pups reacted, would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 68787

both my boys and my girl were home the day after the procedure ... They slept most of that day, but were back to themselves by that night. The hardest is keeping them calm. As they do not know they have to take it easy. My boy Frenchie, came home and wanted to run laps around the yard. The weekend with him will be great, when back to work be sure to crate or restrict him to a room without the ability to jump up on anything.

prayers that all goes well.

Brandie37

Mar 10, 2014
KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bruno & Louie
The male dogs I've had in the past weren't Bully's but were all neutered around six months, if there are no complications Monday he will be sore but I should be feeling better. Mine always bounced right back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse had his cherry ey op when he was 5 months and it was not removed just tacked back and we had to try and keep him quite for about ten days and this was hard as at five months they are very energetic he had a collar on for this time too so he did not scratch his eye. Hope all goes well for you and please keep us updated.

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Tucker was 9 no when he had both eye and cryo(his testies never dropped) surgery. He was sleepy for about 2 hours and then... He was back to crazy puppy....he jumped on the couch! I was going crazy,I should have put him in his crate for about 3 days!! He did end up splitting a stitch. His eye was super red and I had to put ointment in it for 10 days.So my advice is a small room or his crate to keep him from jumping, other than that it will all go well!Good luck !!

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all so very much!!! He's a big ole ball of energy so keeping him calm will be tough but he seems to relax when he's in his x pen. I'll let everyone know tomorrow how it goes!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.