Alternatives to Flea meds

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
After doing some research online I've decided to keep vaccinations to a minimum. In about 3 weeks we will be adding a bulldog pup to the family so excited! But after looking up everything about flea medication and over vaccinating I've decided to change my approach (As a young pup I will get all of its shots but as it gets older only plan to get rabies). Was wondering if any of you have gone this route and can offer any tips. I realize in some areas this is not realistic but I am in So Cal.

I've found out so far that 1 of the most important things to do is get your pets immune system up. I recently started adding vitamin c & e to my dogs food. I plan to treat my back yard with Diatomaceous Earth to kill fleas.

Any tips/info on flea prevention/ immune system is appreciated.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi, congratulations on your new puppy and welcome to EBN. Many people give their bulldogs Diatomaceous Earth as an all natural flea preventative as well.

allaboutbulldogs

Mar 25, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
The diatomatrius earth(DE) has to be the human grade type not the Pool type which would be harmful.

Rub some on the skin,avoiding the genital area and eyes.

I don't give my dogs annuals.Must have puppy shots.
When I use to board them I had to have Rabies and Kennel Cough,they took Titers for the other vaccines.

I HAVE READ SOO MANY NEGATIVE THINGS ABUT VACCCINES,I DON'T GIVE THEM.
They have immunity just like us and you don't get vaccinated every year do you? Look up vaccinosis and make up your mind.

Also read about about when the best time to spay is,new thought are out now and things are changing.

Don't go by me but good Vets want fixing your dog to wait unti they mature and become physically into their own.

I AM THINKING OF GOING HOLISTIC.

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I treat my yard with Talstar PL (it kills flees, ticks along with a myriad of other pests and bugs) and have not had any issue with flees. I have not used a flee pill or topical in almost a year.

allaboutbulldogs

Mar 25, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
I treat my yard with Talstar PL (it kills flees, ticks along with a myriad of other pests and bugs) and have not had any issue with flees. I have not used a flee pill or topical in almost a year.

dogs are low to the ground.
No way a I going to let then put their nose in any kind of chemical for the lawn,I wouldn't do it myself and I have more body weight than they do.
They have their own seperate area.

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Yard is pet safe after watering in. I only treat twice a year and before a rain storm. He cant stand to get his feet wet in the first place so by the time hes running thru the yard its safe.

Most Reactions