Seasonal Allergies Advice

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
It's been raining a bit here in LA and whenever it rains it seems that Curly gets itchy paws. I've been washing his paws off when he comes in from walks but he is still licking. I gave him Benadryl on Monday and it stopped the itching through Tuesday. Today he is licking again.

Given that the Benadryl is working, I wanted to see how others deal with seasonal allergies - do you give your EB Benadryl everyday (or in my case every other day) or as needed? If it is as needed, is it bad to give him Benadryl everyday if that is what is needed? I really don't want him to build a tolerance since it is effective.

Thanks for your help :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It could be yeasty paws, dip his feet in bowl/sm. tub of water with
1 cup white vinegar & 1 cup hydrogen peroxide mixed in, can reuse
mixture 2 or 3 times before dumping out. Then pat feet dry.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
It could be yeasty paws, dip his feet in bowl/sm. tub of water with
1 cup white vinegar & 1 cup hydrogen peroxide mixed in, can reuse
mixture 2 or 3 times before dumping out. Then pat feet dry.

I thought it may be yeast but he isn't displaying any other signs. We deal with yeast problems with my Frenchton so we definitely have taken those precautions with Curly too. :)

I feel like it is allergies because it rained on Monday and then again last night in LA. When it rains here it stirs up the pollen and everyone's allergies go crazy. There is no smell to his paws and his fur is pure white on him feet and in between his toes.

I did wonder though if Curly shares a chew toy with Sully (my frenchton) can Sully pass on his yeast to Curly? We've been thinking about soaking their nylabones in the evening because Sully has a lot of skin issues but we weren't sure what is contagious.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I thought it may be yeast but he isn't displaying any other signs. We deal with yeast problems with my Frenchton so we definitely have taken those precautions with Curly too. :)

I feel like it is allergies because it rained on Monday and then again last night in LA. When it rains here it stirs up the pollen and everyone's allergies go crazy. There is no smell to his paws and his fur is pure white on him feet and in between his toes.

I did wonder though if Curly shares a chew toy with Sully (my frenchton) can Sully pass on his yeast to Curly? We've been thinking about soaking their nylabones in the evening because Sully has a lot of skin issues but we weren't sure what is contagious.

An excellent question, Nu...I'm not sure and will be interested in finding out.

From your observations, it may just be allergies and his feet get the itchiest.

Try giving him a tsp of LOCAL honey daily during rainy season (y'all as well).
It may take awhile to build up in his system so stay with it until sure it's not
effective for him. I just started this protocol for Cami & me, it gets good reviews
that it helps a lot.

Don't be afraid to use Benydrl for relief, if he does eventually build resistance
then switch to other meds. It may always be effective...let's hope! GOD bless!!

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Great tip! I didn't think about local honey - I've heard about its great benefits before. I think though, I am going to wait to try this. We are moving back east in June so it doesn't seem to make sense to start him on it now esp. as it takes a while to actually see its affects.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I give Banks Benedryl twice a day.... Her paws and face get very red and she licks like crazy when I do not.

she get 50 mg in the AM and 50 in the PM.... Today was day one and she will get them thru the spring and as needed in the summer, but back to daily in the fall

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have used benadryl, and if it's eye allergies zyrtec seems to really help. I even give my boxer benadryl… allergies are HELL here in TN!!! :evil:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would say use the Benedryl as needed. Plus wish his paws when he comes in, it may help.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thanks for the advice everyone!

@texascarol I have an answer! Did a Google search and found dog skin yeast is typically not contagious from dog to dog unless there is immune problem but even still I'm going to start soaking the toys at least once a week, just as a precaution :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.