Bilateral alopecia & Katy/Houston vet

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
Okay guys, briley has some bilateral symmetrical hair loss and idk what's going on.

I don't think it's allergies because it's symmetrical, and this is the only "allergy sign", and I don't think it's mange because it's not seeming to bother him too bad, and mange doesn't usually isn't symmetrical either.

He's gotten spots like this before, but the largest was quarter sized and they made him itch so much he bled, also ones in the past started out as a little pimple looking thing that excreted a clear, greasy, liquid.
Those were normally present when his yeast acts up. I don't think it's yeast either because it doesn't have the yeasty smell or feel.

e2e9yzyr.jpg

7a8uraty.jpg

4ymeda7a.jpg

4amupyha.jpg

Also, if anyone knows a good vet in the Katy/Houston area that is reasonably priced I'd appreciate the info! Since moving back from San Antonio, I've used the vet my parents took their dogs too. They're insanely overpriced and I feel as if they don't care about my dog at all, but that's a story for another time haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
Oh, and his ears are fine and he has no other symptoms that I've noticed.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It looks and sounds like he may have seasonal alopecea. (sp?) One solution is light therapy but melatonin(3 to 6mg day) is also used for this. It is common is Bully breeds.

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
Glad you sent me that link!! Thank you! I have seen that name before but never seen pictures to associate it and now I know that is also symmetrical and it makes sense. When I previously googled it, there were pictures of all things hair loss related so I didn't know which pictures were a good example. I started the melatonin a couple days ago because I figured it can't hurt anything.

For anyone who's had this, is there any other things, maybe topical things that have been known to work?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Glad you sent me that link!! Thank you! I have seen that name before but never seen pictures to associate it and now I know that is also symmetrical and it makes sense. When I previously googled it, there were pictures of all things hair loss related so I didn't know which pictures were a good example. I started the melatonin a couple days ago because I figured it can't hurt anything.

For anyone who's had this, is there any other things, maybe topical things that have been known to work?

My Frenglish, Carlie had it last year. I used Nu Stock, and rubbed it into the bald patches about every three days. It didn't take long before the hair started growing in.
It is great stuff, that I have used for 40 yrs.

Last edited:
OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] thanks!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=7854]brileythebully[/MENTION] Yes i know a good bully vet in the Houston/Katy area. Dr. Dikeman or Dr. Kampschmidt at Brittmorre Animal Hospital are who we and many others in Houston and surrounding areas use. We have been there alot recently dealing with Harlea's issues and I think they are very reasonably priced.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Bella had seasonal alopecia, and that's what it looks like to me...

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] I've been researching, and it ends up with him! Now that I see you, and a few others on the site use him as well I think I will give it a try.
Do you know if they are accommodating with aggressive dogs? Briley has recently gone through drastic behavior changes due to his abusive past. Were working on them, and he's much better but not so much to be at super busy scary places.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
To be honest I do not know. A few times we have been there we have seen a few aggressive or extremely agitated dogs in there so I would have to assume they have dealt with aggressive dogs in the past. Almost every time we have been there we have seen multiple other bullies.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
That's awesome! I love seeing other bullies. I usually check in, with him in the car, go sit in the car with him and someone will wave their hand out the door when they're ready for us so we can walk straight to the room so I can keep him stress level as low as possible and keep him from getting agitated so he can be calm when we see the vet. Thanks again! [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=7854]brileythebully[/MENTION] sorry I'm late to this. It does look like seasonal Alopecia to me too. It will go away on it's own, and some say that taking melatonin will help speed up the hair growth. As the vet goes, Todd [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] has pointed you in the right direction. Brittmoore Animal Hospital is a great bully vet. Dr. Dikeman is just awesome. He is the one we use for our bullies, but Dr. Kampschmidt is great too, I just like Dr. Dikeman's bedside manner, if you will. He is just an old school vet, but knows his stuff. You can't go wrong with either one of them. But I would worn them about his aggression issues with vets.

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] thanks a bunch!
I will warn them, I always do and judge if I should go for the appointment based on the vets mannerism about it, because to me it is a big deal. His aggression is surprisingly not toward the vet, it's toward the large group of strangers in the waiting room and especially if children are nearby, but if he is set off before seeing the vet the vet can become his point of frustration (if that makes sense) he's just very scared and anxious in new surroundings and with new people and other animals and it turns into aggression. My vet in San Antonio actually helped him a lot, he would take him to the back to "meet groups of new people" without me there because my anxiety transferred to briley and he was always very very mindful which is one thing I am looking for in a vet and he even recorded his behavior to see changes.
I just want someone who cares and based on the above posts and google reviews dr dikeman seems GREAT! The one and only vet I've seen in houston upon my moving back muzzled him immediately, didn't touch him, didn't speak to him, the tech wouldn't go near him, etc. this was BEFORE they knew his behavior because they hadn't even gotten his chart yet!!! And briley was very very good, I know for 100% he just wanted to be their friend. He didn't bark, growl, look scared, cower, etc. (his aggression is very random, it's almost like he's bipolar)

Wow, sorry for the novel everyone I lost track of myself haha.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The only thing I've heard of is sunlight can help with it too, it's common for it to show up during winter from lack of sunlight. Don't know how true that is, but it makes sense!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.