OP
E

Elizavell08

Mar 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lil Bob
Thanks for checking. Today he was diagnosed with what we think to be intussusception. He is currently in surgery. It has been a very stressful week watching him suffer, have diarrhea, vomit, not eat or drink, and just be very lethargic. We are praying this surgery isn't taking place to late. We came to this conclusion by running barium through him yesterday. I don't really know why this was not done sooner?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for checking. Today he was diagnosed with what we think to be intussusception. He is currently in surgery. It has been a very stressful week watching him suffer, have diarrhea, vomit, not eat or drink, and just be very lethargic. We are praying this surgery isn't taking place to late. We came to this conclusion by running barium through him yesterday. I don't really know why this was not done sooner?

Prayers and positive thoughts that all goes well and he is home with you tomorrow.... please keep us posted

OP
E

Elizavell08

Mar 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lil Bob
The surgery went good! He is awake. He will stay continue to stay in the vets care for the next few days. Hoping to have him home by Thursday. His daddy will be home on Friday. I am hoping that will lift his spirits.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The surgery went good! He is awake. He will stay continue to stay in the vets care for the next few days. Hoping to have him home by Thursday. His daddy will be home on Friday. I am hoping that will lift his spirits.

Great news.... I'll be watching for updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

Thank GOD for safe surgery! I would grill them on WHY it took so long
and let him suffer??? I'd ask for a big bill reduction too. Can you inform
us as to what this dx is so to help us know how to help other bullies?

Thank you for letting us know and continue updating us. Will pray for his
swift & complete recovery~Sending big hugs of comfort & strength <3

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Wow. Glad to hear he is doing well. For those that don't know it is basically a section of the bowel that has overlapped itself in one direction or another. Sometimes it can be corrected by palpatation of the abdominal area or it will spontaneously correct itself in some cases. However, most of the time surgery is required to correct it though. Sadly I know a little about this because my daughter had this condition many years ago. I would have never thought of it happening to a pup.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Wow. Glad to hear he is doing well. For those that don't know it is basically a section of the bowel that has overlapped itself in one direction or another. Sometimes it can be corrected by palpatation of the abdominal area or it will spontaneously correct itself in some cases. However, most of the time surgery is required to correct it though. Sadly I know a little about this because my daughter had this condition many years ago. I would have never thought of it happening to a pup.

Thank you, dear Todd, for sharing such hard won education.

I am grateful your daughter is well~GOD bless you & yours, always!

Again...I'd question WHY this wasn't dxed and quicker. Sounds like
you're very lucky to have your bully today...GOD is good!

Jeffery

Mar 23, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Axel
My vet thinks my puppy may have this but he isnt vomiting. He is eating, drinking and playing. his bowel movements arent too bad. He gave me Laxitone, Albon and something else, the name escapes me as i am at work. He's hoping to hold off on surgery and that the problem fixes itself with this treatment and it is possible. Im worried about this guy as he is my first. How much was the surgery, my vet told me $500-$700. Im almost wondering if maybe i should just opt for the surgery but dont want to put him through it if there is a chance he may get better on his own.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
My vet thinks my puppy may have this but he isnt vomiting. He is eating, drinking and playing. his bowel movements arent too bad. He gave me Laxitone, Albon and something else, the name escapes me as i am at work. He's hoping to hold off on surgery and that the problem fixes itself with this treatment and it is possible. Im worried about this guy as he is my first. How much was the surgery, my vet told me $500-$700. Im almost wondering if maybe i should just opt for the surgery but dont want to put him through it if there is a chance he may get better on his own.

I would keep an eye on him, and see how he does with his meds. If you see no improvement, request the barium swallow, since that's what confirmed it for the prior member. Also, try massaging his belly, around the area where his intestines are located. My husband is a sports/rehab therapist, and does myofascial work on Tyson's belly every few days. This basically just stimulates the muscles, which could in turn fix something that isn't working properly. No guarantees of course - esp depending on how serious the condition has already gotten.... but I would still give him a good massage... he'll love it, and it could help. I wouldn't go straight to surgery without confirming through Barium that he does 100% have the condition.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Years ago, I had a boxer with this condition. He was in a lot of pain with it and the surgery had to be performed very quickly. They had to remove about 12 inches of his small intestine. They didn't ever find what caused it (they called it the "telescoping" of his intestine). I am so glad you still have your baby after taking such a long time to diagnose the condition. It must not have been a complete blockage.

I had the same thing about 10 years ago. It took about 18 hours of tests and no pain meds in the ER before they did surgery, and they still had not figured out what it was before they cut me open! In my case, some scar tissue (what?!) in my intestine had caused it to kink up and cause a blockage. It was the most painful thing I've ever had!! I've had 3 kids and this was WAY worse!

Thank goodness he had the surgery and is doing better!

Most Reactions