URGENT!!! Please Help!

Elizavell08

Mar 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lil Bob
I have a 4 yo bully named Lil Bob.

His entire life he has eaten dry Wellness Large Breed dog food. He has always had allergies. But he licks his pals in particular. They had started to turn brown. The vet said it might be from his food. So we changed to a dry grain free Blue Buffalo kind of food. He started having very soft and frequent stool. The allergies didn't seem to change. So, the vet recommended we change the protein in the food. We cut out chicken and switched to a different version of the dry grain free Blue Buffalo. He ate it for about a month tops. The last few weeks he has had a lot of trouble passing his stool. It got to the point he would strain and make noise.

Needless to say I got worried. Monday and Tuesday there was barely any stool passed. I called the vet and they recommended me putting cooking oil on his food to help with the constipation. I coated his food with oil for two meals. Still nothing. We tried feeding him some apple and banana. By Wednesday morning my plan was to take him to the vet that afternoon. I got home to take him to the vet and he had thrown up all in his kennel. He had thrown up white foaming looking food.

We got to the vet and he did an X-ray and found that he was full of gas. He said that he would give him something to make him pass this within 24 hrs or there was the possibility that his stomach could flip. As soon as we walked out of the vet he started having explosive diarrhea with a redish brown color with an awful smell. He said this was ok and it should be coming out. We got home and the explosive diarrhea continued. He also continued to throw up and became very lethargic and unresponsive. He was moaning and wouldn't walk around or move. He would just look down.

I panicked and paged the vet after hours. We met the vet back at the office and he did another X-ray. He said it looked most of the gas was gone. He didn't know what was going on and why he was still throwing up, ect. He decided to take him home and monitor him for the night incase he needed to do emergency surgery on him.

The next day the vet said the throwing up had stopped, but the explosive blow out diarrhea was still happening and he would not eat. They hooked him up to a drip and started giving him meds. They did a culture and sent it in for the possibility of poison.

I went to the vet right after work and got him to eat a little bit of prescription food they were trying to give him. The vet sent me home with him for the night for me to try and get him to eat more and I would bring him back the next day. The next day the vet hooked him back up to the drip. I picked him up again after work for the weekend.

So, currently he is not throwing up, eating the prescription food and boiled chicken and rice, drinking water, urinating regularly, having diarrhea every time we go out, and responding to me a little better. He is still walking around very slow, not wanting to interact or play, and like I said the diarrhea just won't stop (but it's not blowouts anymore). The culture results still never came in, but the vet is hoping is a bacteria. He is on an antibiotic and some other things for diarrhea that should be working but isn't. Please help!

Update on 03/30/14: He woke up kind do moaning around 4:00 this morning. We went out and he peed and had pure liquid diarrhea and then struggled to push but got nothing. I gave him a half a can of food which he ate most of but will now drink now. He came back to bed and moaned a little while falling asleep.

We went back to the vet today to address his moaning and still current diarrhea. We pumped him with more fluids and gave him a shot for the pain. The vet has pretty much ruled out an obstruction since he hasn't thrown up since Wednesday.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
The diarrhea he is having noq could just be a result of several quick food changes within such a short amount of time. He probably feels like crap due to everything that has been going on with him. It sounds like he is on the mend and will just take a bit more time to recover. You said he is drinking enough and that is important with diarrhea. You may want to give him some pedialitw to keep his electrolytes up because they can be out of wack and make him lethargic

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Poor guy! If he's eating, urinating, drinking and pooping (although diarrhea) well, then it sounds like he's on the mend. Hopefully the culture is negative for everything, and he was only reacting to the food switch.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww so sorry you're going through this with Lil Bob, I hope he feels better soon. Could he have possibly eaten an object or something you don't know about, and have an obstruction? Vomiting and diarrhea are signs of an obstruction. My male Dozer has a habit of eating socks, and he also ate a dish cloth once. He has always been able to either throw them up, or poop them out, but he usually showed signs of diarrhea, vomiting, drooling water from the mouth and being lethargic when he's swallowed something. It can take a week or up to a month to pass the object sometimes. Keep an eye on him, and watch his poops to see if he passes anything. Sending love, hugs and prayers that he's better soon. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a horrible ...... His poor belly. I would keep him on the bland diet and add a little 100% pure canned pumpkin to help with the poo and as dozersmama suggested get some pedialyte to his with balancing the electrolytes.

please keep us posted on you boy..... Hugs and prayers for him to feel better

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Aww so sorry you're going through this with Lil Bob, I hope he feels better soon. Could he have possibly eaten an object or something you don't know about, and have an obstruction? Vomiting and diarrhea are signs of an obstruction. My male Dozer has a habit of eating socks, and he also ate a dish cloth once. He has always been able to either throw them up, or poop them out, but he usually showed signs of diarrhea, vomiting, drooling water from the mouth and being lethargic when he's swallowed something. It can take a week or up to a month to pass the object sometimes. Keep an eye on him, and watch his poops to see if he passes anything. Sending love, hugs and prayers that he's better soon. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

from what i have learned and read from here, i too was thinking around that line. not everything shows up on xray. hope the little guy feels better soon! keeping faith here.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
What a horrible ...... His poor belly. I would keep him on the bland diet and add a little 100% pure canned pumpkin to help with the poo and as dozersmama suggested get some pedialyte to his with balancing the electrolytes.

please keep us posted on you boy..... Hugs and prayers for him to feel better

I too had our Charley on Blue Buffalo for a long time. he didn't like it, nor did it agree with him. His main issue with it was loose bowels and a recurring yeasty ear and chin. I slowly switched food to Acana lamb and apple and the bowel issue cleared up immediately.

When Charley had more serious diahrrea several months ago, I gave him bland diet of chicken, rice and some pumpkin-- but the quantity of food I provided was way too much which made him sicker. So, maybe 1 tbs pumpkin for diahrrea would work. I now use 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp pumpkin routinely because his bowels are too hard. For us, the amount pumpkin is a delicate balance found through trial and error.

Also, hope your vet gave you probiotics since your baby is on antibiotic. That will also help with tummy trouble.

Let us us know how your baby is doing. Hope he feels better soon.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have never used Blue Buffalo food, but it seems to me that there are a lot of post on here w/ troubles when feeding BB. I know nothing about it. The symptoms this poor fella' has, sure sounds like an obstruction. The other night one of my dogs was whining-they sleep in crates. I got up, and she had pooped in her cage-never done that before. Then she had "explosive" poops everywhere-then vomiting. She vomited up a pile of?(looked like rocks!) and a whole medium sized durabone! She acted fine before goin g to be-even ate her night time snack... She has been fine since-and I got lucky--Are you sure he does not have an obstruction-sure sounds like it is a possibility. [MENTION=11510]Elizavell08[/MENTION]

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
After doing a lot of reading when we went through that recent bout with Charley's tummy, I agree with [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION], this really has every earmark of obstruction.

Blue Buffalo sounds like a quality food which is why I was using it, but I agree there are an awful lot of dogs who don't like it and/or it disagrees with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm concerned your vet isn't more ON THIS issue. Those cultures & labs
are very important as to help rule out bacterial infections, etc and if not
found then redo them, asap on HIS dime! Your baby is clearly suffering,
take him to the ER Vet for 2nd opinion if he doesn't improve very soon.

I'd stop all food for 12 hours as to give his poor tummy & system REST.
It'll help him a lot, not to worry. Then give smaller amt of bland diet only,
no rx diet as it prolly has grains. Like maybe 1 cup each feeding for 2 days
and see how he does. Go to health food store and get Slippery Elm, a herb
that coats the tummy, it soothes & heals inflammation and if it's not an
obstruction, will help him feel much better! Please let us know~Praying now!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Wow. So sorry your baby is going through this. After reading everything and the other comments this sure sounds like it very well could be an obstruction. All the symptomes are there for it. Has there even been any discussion on that front? If not I would have it soon to start ruling that out as well. On the other hand if this is a case of nasty bacteria Tylan powder will probably clear it up.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm concerned your vet isn't more ON THIS issue. Those cultures & labs
are very important as to help rule out bacterial infections, etc and if not
found then redo them, asap on HIS dime! Your baby is clearly suffering,
take him to the ER Vet for 2nd opinion if he doesn't improve very soon.

I'd stop all food for 12 hours as to give his poor tummy & system REST.
It'll help him a lot, not to worry. Then give smaller amt of bland diet only,
no rx diet as it prolly has grains. Like maybe 1 cup each feeding for 2 days
and see how he does. Go to health food store and get Slippery Elm, a herb
that coats the tummy, it soothes & heals inflammation and if it's not an
obstruction, will help him feel much better! Please let us know~Praying now!

Great advice from everyone, I agree. Any news on your baby?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
​Checking on y'all and continue to pray...how is he?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=11510]Elizavell08[/MENTION] ---- how is your baby doing?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.