URGENT!!! Help neuter tomorrow or not???

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Long time since I post..So Max is scheduled for Surgery tomorrow in the Morning for His Eyes. He has inverted eyelashes that are scratching his Cornea. He is also scheduled to be Neutered. I dont think i want to go through with it. He will be two years old on April 14th. He is perfectly healthy, just the vet keeps drilling Cancer in my brain. Please advise on whether to go through with the neuter or not? PROS?? CONS??

Please HELP. Thanks!!

'

OP
ham3381

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Please anyone thoughts??

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Are you planning on breeding him? If not then do it. Personally for me I would have it done.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=5338]ham3381[/MENTION] I'm struggling with this as well right now but only because it's so ingrained in me to neuter.

The cancer argument doesn't hold much weight with me though. I mean a male of any species has the chance of developing Testicular cancer. So how come we don't castrate them? It's only dogs/cats.
Can you imagine your wife telling you "honey, maybe you should consider having your balls removed because of testicular cancer risks". :eek:

OP
ham3381

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
This is MAx today its as if he know his balls are at stake. photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

B

Baxter Tiberius

This is a decision you have to make. You waited until almost the two-year mark, so that usually is plenty of time to let them fully mature. The whole cancer thing is really impossible to prove or disprove. Of course if you remove something it can't have cancer. But… There is always a risk. Just like with humans.

The best advice I have heard, is that if you choose not to neuter, you need to check their testicles periodically for bumps. Just like a human male would have to. No huge knobs, bumps, and maybe a periodic ultrasound just to be safe, and you're good. There's nothing else to worry about. It's not like it has to catch anyone by surprise. That's the biggest misconception.

But if you decide to go ahead and do the neuter, probably better to do it now, so that he doesn't need to go under anesthesia two different times. And to your credit, like I said, the recommendation with English Bulldogs is to wait at least a year or two before neutering. So they can fully develop. You've done that. So just ask yourself if you're comfortable checking him periodically for as long as you have him. And doing a twice a year ultrasound maybe. That should be sufficient. @ham3381

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
How are your finances? Can you neuter him without shorting yourself? Since he's almost two he has already got what he needed from them body wise. Does he have any behavioral issues you want to try and get rid of? A year go I would silently judge every dog owner who had an un-neutered male, I was very ignorant. I really don't want to get Bear neutered at all, I mean, look at the difference between your breeders breeding stock and a dog that was neutered when he was little. You can see a huge difference. Personally I wouldn't do it, but there is no right or wrong answer. Out of spite, I wouldn't neuter him since the vet keeps pushing me to do it, but I'm very immature like that. :no:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Well there is plenty in this forum on this topic. If you would like some of the latest research I can provide the links. Bottom line. No. Regardless if you plan to breed or not. Intact males are healthier in general for obvious reasons and no more difficult in behavior issues

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I agree that if you're going to do it..do it now so he won't have to go under the anesthesia twice..I haven't neutered Chumley and he's 3. He won't be bred..he has no behavioral issues and the whole cancer thing..as far as I'm concerned there's no reason at all to do it. I totally agree with @blueberrysmom...makes of any species always have the risk..it's not like it's increased if he's not neutered..it's just a possibility. It all depends on your specific circumstances..but I've decided neutering is not for me....I mean Chumley.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I've taken in stray animals all my life. Unless the males came up neutered
already, they were left intact and none ever had later health problems.
A couple of males did have to be neutered because of behavior issues but
only a couple out of a whole lot of dogs :) You must be vigilant to prevent
unwanted breeding, I never had that problem either.

If you've gone two years without neutering Max and he's well behaved
then I vote for Max to keep his balls!

OP
ham3381

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
[MENTION=10901]monkey10262[/MENTION] finances are fine. Unfortunately I bought max from a pet store, I was not aware when I noght him about the dangers of a pet store, so I don't know any other dog to compare him to as far the breeder suggestion. I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna go through with the eye surgery. His behavior issues are pretty much he does what he wants because he doesn't listen to me lol. He use to pee when people would come by when he is excited and he would hump people but I don't have people over much lately so I can't really say if he's changed

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
@monkey10262 finances are fine. Unfortunately I bought max from a pet store, I was not aware when I noght him about the dangers of a pet store, so I don't know any other dog to compare him to as far the breeder suggestion. I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna go through with the eye surgery. His behavior issues are pretty much he does what he wants because he doesn't listen to me lol. He use to pee when people would come by when he is excited and he would hump people but I don't have people over much lately so I can't really say if he's changed

Most bullies tend to calm down a whole lot from these behaviors once past puberty.
And tend to listen a bit better when firmly & consistently corrected, just mellow on
out! Will keep Max in prayers tomorrow, let us know how it goes~GOD bless!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.