URGENT!!! My dog keeps scratching until he bleeds!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It definetely sounds like allergies, probably to the chicken, and I agree with the Purina, as being one of the worst foods. As a guideline you can check out the dog food ratings. We feed Fromms Beef Frittata to our guys, my female is allergic to chicken, salmon, grains and corn. Purina is listed as a 1 star and is full of grains, fillers, and chemicals and additives. A lt of bullies suffer from allergies, and sensitivities. Sometimes it's their immune system, and you can give them some supplements that will boost the I'm use system. We give our two guys plain unsweetened yogurt to their morning kibble, this provides probiotics and boosts the I'm use system, and also helps with digestion. We also give our guys salmon oil on their evening kibble, which provides Omega Oils, which is excellent for their skin, and coats, and rain, and we also add apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday. There are a lot of benefits to ACV, such as its a natural anti inflammatory, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so boosts the immune system, and it also balances the Ph level of the blood. All of these are both natural and I expensive supplements so are safe for your dog, but very healthy and beneficial.

OP
T

TonyaMarie91

Mar 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
I let him outside in the day because I'm stay outside gardening and such...i live in Texas and it's usually warm outside where we can be out alot..but inside he wants to scratch on the walls or wherever he can.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

OP
T

TonyaMarie91

Mar 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
Thanks so much! This is my first EB, and I love him so much in the short time we've spent together. ..I'm definitely gonna switch food, and try these remedies Vikinggirl suggested...

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
Thanks for rescuing him! EB's require a lot of care, which is why many end up in rescue. I've had dogs all my life and have to say my girl Lucy is my favorite. Such personality! One other thing; since you live in Texas where it can be very hot and humid, he may have problems cooling off if he's out in the heat very long once it starts to heat up. I don't walk Lucy unless the temp is under 70-75 with low humidity. She doesn't know when to slow down and will play non-stop with the other dogs we walk with. Because of their head shape/airways they just can't cool off as quick as a dog with a long snout. During the summer I walk her very early in the morning for her exercise.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Does he have fleas? What flea preventative are you using? The placement of his hot spots look like it is flea related. Google "dog flea allergy" and look at the images. Looks very similar. Dogs with food allergies lick their paws a lot. Does he? Dogs with environmental allergies can have pinkish skin, red eyes, and hives. Does he have any of these? For now, try giving him two 25 mg benadryls and see if it alleviates his itching. He needs an antihistamine. You also need a topical cream or spray that has itch relief.
Wellness dog food is readily available at most pet stores and has a line called Core that is grain free.

OP
T

TonyaMarie91

Mar 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
No fleas, I use front line, and we gave him the pill too, but he does lick his paws allllllll the time....i never would have guessed that was a symptom! Thanks so much for educating me a Lil more, it's appreciated!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Did you start giving him something new just before he started scratching? I he didn't before, then something he gets is causing it. I would start him on very limited elimination diet, home cooked or raw. And only his meds and a multivitamin. For example cooked hamburger and rice, also known as bland diet. See if it helps and only if it does and he gets better start adding new ingredients in to his diet one at the time, so you know what causes a reaction. For more great info on home cooked or raw you can find on dogaware. Just google dogaware home cooking.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you so much for saving this sweet baby!!! Allergies is what I would say too... Get a good food in him, chicken and grain free and there will be some good results.

monica (vikinggirl). Gave you great info.

please keep us posted and ask Ny question ... We are here to help

NennaPen313

Mar 31, 2014
I had a similar problem with my pitbull, he's never had skin issues (I've had him since he was 5 weeks) and he is a little over 1.5 years now he one day began scratching and scratching. I checked for fleas, gave a flea bath just in case and nothing fell off. He began getting irritated spots all over and just scratching himself raw. His neck was bleeding and nothing was working. I even switched him to grain free food to no avail. I freaked out and took him to the vet thinking he had somehow gotten mange, they did a skin scrape and all. Everything came back negative and he was diagnosed with "pruitis" and "dermatitis" which is just a skin irritation/rash. The vet said that it simply gets worse because each time he scratches it open, it gets swollen and cannot heal, making it an ongoing problem. He gave me a prescription for "simplicef 200mg tab" it was about $80 but they sell it and similar prescriptions that you can order online for half the price. Within one day I noticed a huge difference and he is now completely 100% back to normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Thank you so much for rescuing this baby!!! I can't believe someone would just abandon him!!
Get him on a good diet and get him healthy and he will be a wonderful addition to your family!!

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
I know you said this was your first EB and you rescued him after he was abandoned...thanks! But, please, please, do a little research on the breed! You will get lots of great info from the wonderful people on here, but you never want to get that info and it be too late! Bulldogs can and will have heat strokes within 15 mins in temps above 70-75 degrees! They cannot be left outside for any amount of time when it's hot or humid. The same goes with very cold temps too. Also EB's have many many different health concerns and issues that most other dogs do not have and that many people have never heard of. That's the only reason why I say to do some research about this breed. You are an angel for saving this baby, and I know you said you already love him and want him to remain part of your family, and giving him the best life you can provide means knowing all the ups and downs and ins and outs of this wonderful, crazy, funny, loyal breed of dog!!
Oh and I would probably suggest finding a new vet! One with EB experience and knowledge! For your vet to not give you any kind of info about the breed tells me they don't know anything about the breed. And that's the last vet you'll want giving care to your boy!!
Good Luck and keep us all posted! Any questions or concerns, ASK! Guaranteed you'll get many answers and ideas! That's what I love about EBN!!!!

BullyLove!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.