URGENT!!! My dog keeps scratching until he bleeds!

TonyaMarie91

Mar 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
I rescued a very skinny, very sad homeless EB off of a busy highway, and decided to keep him for my small family of 3...I've been treating him with mange oil and he made tremendous progress and had all his hair, but a few days later, he started scratching...He sits on my cement patio and twirls around scratching himself until the hair is missing and he bleeds! Even on my house he'll scratch his front leg the same...can anyone help? Or maybe have a idea what I can do to help such a sweet dog?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It could be the mange, or it could be food allergies, a lot of EB's are allergic to chicken and brains. Which brand of dog food are you feeding Rex?

OP
T

TonyaMarie91

Mar 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
Well the vet told me it isn't mange, but never told me he needed a special diet so ive been giving him purina

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
If it is not mange, then he has allergies. It may be to food or it may be environmental. It may even be a flea allergy. Did the vet do a skin scraping to rule out the mange? If I were you, I would ditch the Purina which is possibly the worst dog food on earth and get a grain free brand with any red meat protein (lots of bulldogs are allergic to chicken). His skin may be infected if he is bleeding and will not get better on it's own without antibiotics. If you found the dog and want to keep it, you should contact a bulldog rescue group in your area and ask them to help you. They have probably seen it all and can assist you.

OP
T

TonyaMarie91

Mar 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
He took a scraping, and ran test...and as for the scrapes, I clean them everyday and cover them with tender tape, they heal so easy, but as soon as one is healed, he makes another....us there a brand you could recommend?

OP
T

TonyaMarie91

Mar 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
Is*

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
You could try wellness, blue buffalo, natures variety instinct, Fromm, natural balance, orijen...but you won't find these at the grocery store. Thank you for saving him!

sent from my droid mini

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Are you saying he scratches his butt??? have you checked in to get his anal glands done? Vegas scoots and rubs his but on my area rug when he needs his done, which is about ever 5-7 weeks. He need internal expression from the vet.

OP
T

TonyaMarie91

Mar 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
It's not his butt, it's like he is sitting on his back and the side of his thigh....and his front legs he scratches on the corner of my brick house

OP
T

TonyaMarie91

Mar 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I'd really love for this dog to be a long term member of our family

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Don't worry you'll find a food that works but you might have to try a few. Lola would scratch herself under her arms until she bled before we found the right protein

sent from my droid mini

OP
T

TonyaMarie91

Mar 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
5ahape9u.jpg

OP
T

TonyaMarie91

Mar 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
This is what it looks like

OP
T

TonyaMarie91

Mar 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
It looks like it hurts so bad...any clue how to help him? Anyone?

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
You've gotten some good suggestions. Is he kept outside? I ask because you mentioned he does this on the brick corner of your house and your concrete patio. Does he do this inside? My girl is allergic to grass. Along with a grain free dog food (she is on Fromms; my son has an Old English Bulldog and she does good on Blue Buffalo. I see IAMS has a new grain free, but it's chicken) wipe her belly and folds everyday with witch hazel. I notice a huge difference in her allergies once spring rolls around.
I mentioned my son's dog. Before he changed her diet she would scratch at her muzzle so hard she'd make open wounds.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.