Peeing out of control from tick collar!?! Is that possible or a coincident?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
About 3-4 hours ago I put a Virbac tick collar on Joey and about an hour ago I noticed she pees out of control:( Little drops are dripping when she walks and if she sits there is a puddle where she sat:( I'm so sad, I really don't need more problems right now:moping: and poor Joey:*( Is it possible that the tick collar caused this? or is it just a coincident and she's got an UTI?

I rinsed her off with water and took the collar off just in case...

We just took Bennie to the vet yesterday cos he had an allergic reaction, Boeboe was at the vet about a month ago due to problems with her shoulder tendon and just a couple of weeks before that Lucky had to have a cherry eye operation. And end of December Boeboe had Hip Dysplasia surgery... I just need a break:*(

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh man…
I've never tried those types of collars on my dogs, but I did on my cat's once and all the hair around their necks came off!!! :eek: I had to remove them and use Frontline… I'm allergic to perfume, and obviously those collars have a smell… it could be a reaction to that as well. I would call the vet and see what he says… I'm thinking it definitely is possible. I'm so sorry you have been thru the ringer w/the vets lately :(

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh man…
I've never tried those types of collars on my dogs, but I did on my cat's once and all the hair around their necks came off!!! :eek: I had to remove them and use Frontline… I'm allergic to perfume, and obviously those collars have a smell… it could be a reaction to that as well. I would call the vet and see what he says… I'm thinking it definitely is possible. I'm so sorry you have been thru the ringer w/the vets lately :(

Thanks Tracey<3 I've used that Frontline liquid you put in the neck on Joey before and didn't have any issues then... the vet recommended the collar cos it lasts up to 3 months and we have crazy much ticks around here this time of the year:( I hope she will get better now when it's off... I'll call the vet tomorrow and see what they say. It has a very strong mint smell, the whole house stinks like toothpaste:mellow: At least Bennie is doing good again, I'm very thankful about that:)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The last time we used collars was on our Pugs and the same thing happened with the hair falling out, stopped them real quick. I would call the vet too, just to be safe. It's good to hear Bennie's feeling better. :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] Sorry to hear this . I have never used this type of collar, either. It is certainly a possibility. If the peeing doesn't stop by tomorrow,better check with the vet. Have you ever tried the diatomaceous earth (food grade)? You can sprinkle it on the ground, on your dogs on your floor, It will kill fleas and ticks but it is not a chemical.
[h=3][/h]

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] Sorry to hear this . I have never used this type of collar, either. It is certainly a possibility. If the peeing doesn't stop by tomorrow,better check with the vet. Have you ever tried the diatomaceous earth (food grade)? You can sprinkle it on the ground, on your dogs on your floor, It will kill fleas and ticks but it is not a chemical.
[h=3][/h]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We have never used collars or Frontline. Several friends of mine have had skin reactions from Frontline. We don't do anything about fleas because we use Sentinel for heart worms and it works on fleas too. Hope your baby gets better.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
@Petra Sorry to hear this . I have never used this type of collar, either. It is certainly a possibility. If the peeing doesn't stop by tomorrow,better check with the vet. Have you ever tried the diatomaceous earth (food grade)? You can sprinkle it on the ground, on your dogs on your floor, It will kill fleas and ticks but it is not a chemical.

No I've never tried it... I'm not even sure where to look for it, but I'll definitely see if I can find it somewhere:) thank you:hug:

It seem like Joey is doing better already but I don't want to say to much... she might just not have more to pee out... I just cuddled her goodnight as it's late here already, she seemed happy and acted normal so we'll see tomorrow if she still has the same problem. I haven't noticed anything different with the others luckily but I'll keep an eye on them so they're not losing hair or anything:(

Thanks to everyone for making me feel a lill better:)

B

Baxter Tiberius

I suppose its possible since most of these pesticides are neurological toxins. Possibility its causing an imbalance that is making her have less control with the urination. Never know.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm pretty sure it was the Virbac tick collar that made Joey not being able to hold her bladder, she got better only a couple of hours after I took it off and today she doesn't have any issues:) I'm so relieved:whew: I just wanted to let the ones reading this know in case someone else will have the same problem.

I'm unsure how to handle the situation now with Boeboe and Bennie:unsure: I took it off them all yesterday but I put it on them again this morning (except for Joey)... There are really tons of ticks around here now and I'm scared they'll get sick from the bites:( Since I'm home all the time I feel ok letting them wear it while I'm home... what I'm stressing about now is if it's bad to keep taking it off and on??? I realize it might not have the same effect... but can it be bad for them in any other way?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] Wouldn't it be nice if things just went easily? Sometimes I envy people who don't like animals-they must have an easier life.(But I've always thought them selfish...)
anyway-everyone reacts differently to all meds, and chemicals. If the other dogs have no reactions to them, and it doesn't affect Joey(from the others being around her) I would do as you are doing. I would think that wearing the collar most of the time would be better than not at all. Since you are home with them-you can keep track of any unusual symptoms. It's a case of deciding which choice is worse-the collars or the ticks. We may all have nervous breakdowns....won't we be lucky if we all wind up in the same nuthouse??!!!! :yes: Feedstores that sell animal(horse,etc) feeds in the U.S. have D.Earth. Perhaps they do in S.A...... You are not alone-there is always some kind of disaster here in my house,too. Can't win for losing!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm pretty sure it was the Virbac tick collar that made Joey not being able to hold her bladder, she got better only a couple of hours after I took it off and today she doesn't have any issues:) I'm so relieved:whew: I just wanted to let the ones reading this know in case someone else will have the same problem.

I'm unsure how to handle the situation now with Boeboe and Bennie:unsure: I took it off them all yesterday but I put it on them again this morning (except for Joey)... There are really tons of ticks around here now and I'm scared they'll get sick from the bites:( Since I'm home all the time I feel ok letting them wear it while I'm home... what I'm stressing about now is if it's bad to keep taking it off and on??? I realize it might not have the same effect... but can it be bad for them in any other way?

Can you get that DE stuff something Earth.... Lynn referred to it too... diatomaceous earth

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

I'm so glad to hear it, but that's so crazy!!! [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] knows all about that DM stuff...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
@Petra Wouldn't it be nice if things just went easily? Sometimes I envy people who don't like animals-they must have an easier life.(But I've always thought them selfish...)
anyway-everyone reacts differently to all meds, and chemicals. If the other dogs have no reactions to them, and it doesn't affect Joey(from the others being around her) I would do as you are doing. I would think that wearing the collar most of the time would be better than not at all. Since you are home with them-you can keep track of any unusual symptoms. It's a case of deciding which choice is worse-the collars or the ticks. We may all have nervous breakdowns....won't we be lucky if we all wind up in the same nuthouse??!!!! :yes: Feedstores that sell animal(horse,etc) feeds in the U.S. have D.Earth. Perhaps they do in S.A...... You are not alone-there is always some kind of disaster here in my house,too. Can't win for losing!

Oh ja Lynn, it's never a walk in the park caring for animals, it feels like doing the right thing is always the hardest path to take:unsure: I grew up always having animals around but they were my parents responsibility even though I was probably the reason most of them were there in the first place, lol. I didn't have any animals for a few years in my mid twenties, I lived alone and I managed to develop A LOT of OCD's during that time:ashamed: Now just leaving the house is a mission:mellow: I'm stressing about the house burning down, someone breaking in harming the dogs, the dogs finding something they shouldn't and eat it, or them just getting sick when I'm not there, or something happen to me or my husband while we're away so they'll end up in rescues, I stress about EVERYTHING:eek: I pull out all the electric plugs, stare at the stove to make sure it's off even though I've switched it off on the wall even. So... yes we'll probably meet at the nuthouse one day:tongue:

I'll go this weekend and see if I can find that D,Earth here at the farm store, hopefully they have it:)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm sure glad you figured out the collar. I personally would never use one. My neighbor has one on her dog and I can smell the chemicals from it on my hand even if I pet her bum.

Hope you can find the DE I hear it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sure glad you figured out the collar. I personally would never use one. My neighbor has one on her dog and I can smell the chemicals from it on my hand even if I pet her bum.

Hope you can find the DE I hear it works great.

Ja, I don't want to put it on any of them now:( but I need to find a way to get rid of the ticks since Bennie had a bad reaction to the bite. Right now I have to choose between two evils:unsure: I keep coming up with excuses not to put the collar back on them and my husband is not happy... I don't blame him, he paid lots for those collars and for the vet appointment for Bennie. None of the others have shown any signs of side effects and I know I'm stressing for nothing sometimes when it comes to the dogs... I'm hoping I'll be able to find that D.Earth this weekend.

I saw they have the pills you guys have in America for ticks, fleas and heartworm... ours is minus the heartworm since it doesn't exist here... but I'd feel even worse giving them a pill since it lasts for a whole month... at least with the collar I can take it off when ever I want... it's just so hard:( Gotta get a hold of the D.Earth so I can have peace:tongue:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.