seasonal flank alopecia

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is the back. It isn't crusty and there are no scabs. Hobbs isn't itchy. I leave to go on a work trip today and will be gone for 9 days. My brother will be caring for Hobbs while I'm gone. Is this something that I can get looked at by a vet when I get back or should I schedule something ASAP? I really want to be present. Hobbs seems fine, it's just he's shedding a lot and has these balding spots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be an allergic reaction... What food are you feeding?

RJ Abella

Feb 15, 2015
He was on Fromm's beef frittata, but I just switched him to Fromm's Tunalini the other day to see if it gets better. He gets a little yogurt or pumpkin in the morning depending on the stool and a tablespoon of coconut oil with his dinner

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He was on Fromm's beef frittata, but I just switched him to Fromm's Tunalini the other day to see if it gets better. He gets a little yogurt or pumpkin in the morning depending on the stool and a tablespoon of coconut oil with his dinner

Ok.. Give that a few weeks unless more issues appear--- could be allergic to beef

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
@CCandMurray I started giving Melatonin when Maude got SFA. So the others got melatonin at the same time as Maude- BEFORE they got SFA.(just the bullies) Their skin turned dark,but they never had hair loss,and after about a month their skin went back to normal. That is why I think that melatonin helps prevent it-before it gets to the bald stage. The hair has never grown back on one side of Maude.

Barkley got SFA for the 1st time last year and after it had already gotten bad on both sides I started giving the melatonin. It took a LONG time for the fur to finally grow back, but it did! I also was using a really cheap brand of the melatonin at first and not seeing much results so then bought some of the Nature Made brand and that seemed to help much more!

This year his sides started thinning a little so I started him on the melatonin right away and it cleared right up and is back to normal! So I do think if you can start them on it right away that it will work better/faster! I will probably start him on it again next year around the same time to help prevent it again.

RJ Abella

Feb 15, 2015
Update on Hobbs. I didn't end up taking him to a vet. I asked a bulldog breeding friend and she recommended that I change his food to Taste of the Wild Salmon. I'm still not comfortable switching to a Diamond product and stuck with Fromm Salmon. I'm happy I stuck with this food because Hobb's stool is always firm now and he poops when we take him out in the morning and evening like clockwork. She told me to bath Hobbs with GNC anti fungal shampoo 3 times a week for 2 weeks and feed him 1 zrtec everyday for 30 days. The shampoo and conditioner did the trick! He is shedding like a normal bulldog and his bald patches aren't getting worse. I recommend the product! GNC Pets Medicated Anti-Bacterial & Anti-Fungal Shampoo- Lavender Scent - GNC PETS 1020873 - GNC

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Update on Hobbs. I didn't end up taking him to a vet. I asked a bulldog breeding friend and she recommended that I change his food to Taste of the Wild Salmon. I'm still not comfortable switching to a Diamond product and stuck with Fromm Salmon. I'm happy I stuck with this food because Hobb's stool is always firm now and he poops when we take him out in the morning and evening like clockwork. She told me to bath Hobbs with GNC anti fungal shampoo 3 times a week for 2 weeks and feed him 1 zrtec everyday for 30 days. The shampoo and conditioner did the trick! He is shedding like a normal bulldog and his bald patches aren't getting worse. I recommend the product! GNC Pets Medicated Anti-Bacterial & Anti-Fungal Shampoo- Lavender Scent - GNC PETS 1020873 - GNC

Great to hear it is getting better! Please keep us posted

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
It worked okay, he had it that season and then *knock on wood* hasn't had it since!

Jacquibr

Mar 27, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Juno
Hi RJ ... I know this post is very old. However, I was wondering if you ever found out what was causing these patches of missing fur? My 10 month old bully just developed the same thing this week ... no rash no itching ... just missing patches on his back

Thank you!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi RJ ... I know this post is very old. However, I was wondering if you ever found out what was causing these patches of missing fur? My 10 month old bully just developed the same thing this week ... no rash no itching ... just missing patches on his back

Thank you!

it is usually due to low immune system... I switched to raw food and my Lambeau's SFA all filled in. Also, try 1200 mg of fish oil twice a day... that really helped too. Some use melatonin, but that did not work for my guy

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online