seasonal flank alopecia

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
No scabs. Hobbs is 4-5 years old. We have an appointment with a vet Thursday so we can get Heartworm and flea prevention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you seen any fleas? I don't treat until I see them and we haven't had any in years but we think some came home on my kids clothes. Any who.. I found out very quickly that Biscuit my EB was allergic to them. We treated her right away and the itching stopped but it did leave similar patches like in your picture. Or he could be scratching for another reason like allergies. Good luck and please update on what the vet says.

- - - Updated - - -

No scabs. Hobbs is 4-5 years old. We have an appointment with a vet Thursday so we can get Heartworm and flea prevention

Have you seen any fleas? I don't treat until I see them and we haven't had any in years but we think some came home on my kids clothes. Any who.. I found out very quickly that Biscuit my EB was allergic to them. We treated her right away and the itching stopped but it did leave similar patches like in your picture. Or he could be scratching for another reason like allergies. Good luck and please update on what the vet says.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegthis is what Murray's looks like. What do you guys think? [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 139

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Here is a photo(though not flattering to Maude:blush:) of SFA.MaudeandMartha.JPG Her hair grew back on one side-but not the other. I believe Melatonin is more important BEFORE they get it than after. The round spots where a chunk of hair is out, is not the same. [MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION] the dark skin area under the hair is sfa on Murray. If you just have one dog,you can rub NuStock on the hairless areas-it help hair grow. I could not because the other dogs lick it off!(a downside of more than one dog..........)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Thanks so much Lynn! Do you think he needs melatonin too? Or should I just keep an eye on it if it gets worse?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
It certainly wouldn't hurt to give Melatonin [MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION] 3 mg at night.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] do you give to them with dinner or before bedtime? Does it upset their stomach if you don't give it to them with food? Also, I've been rubbing coconut oil on it every day too, should I continue doing this? He's due for a bath but I'm worried that it'll cause him to lose even more hair. Is there a special shampoo I should use?

Last edited:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION] My dogs get a "snack" before bed. A little bit of their dog food with 2 tbsps of yogurt. I just put the pill in the yogurt. They suck up anything!
Coconut oil may help. As you can see I am not expert,as Maude still has bald! The other's didn't get like that-just black under the hair-no hair loss, but they were getting Melatonin BEFORE the SFA appeared. No effects at all on stomach. A bath will not cause hair loss, but it will remove hair that is loose.
Some vet said to use nioxin shampoo(for people with hair loss)-but I only read that somewhere. I use Dawn dish incase there are fleas hiding!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Manydogs do you give to them with dinner or before bedtime? Does it upset their stomach if you don't give it to them with food? Also, I've been rubbing coconut oil on it every day too, should I continue doing this? He's due for a bath but I'm worried that it'll cause him to lose even more hair. Is there a special shampoo I should use?

Lambeau is getting a spot on his one side... I started rubbing the coconut oil on it and giving vitamin D.... seems it is not getting bigger, but not going away either. But, I has only been about 3 wks I've been doing it.... so we'll see

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Lynn I am so sorry I'm sure by now I'm driving you nuts but I have another couple of questions: do you give the melatonin to all the dogs just as a precaution? If so what age did you start giving it to them or do you only give it to them seasonally when/if you notice they have hair loss?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION] I started giving Melatonin when Maude got SFA. So the others got melatonin at the same time as Maude- BEFORE they got SFA.(just the bullies) Their skin turned dark,but they never had hair loss,and after about a month their skin went back to normal. That is why I think that melatonin helps prevent it-before it gets to the bald stage. The hair has never grown back on one side of Maude.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I tried nustock yesterday will keep you guys posted with murray's progress!

RJ Abella

Feb 15, 2015
The vet didn't have an open time slot when I originally had planned one. Said they would give me Heartworm prevention without an appointment. Season flank allopecia?
741b42dab9dac8c034e86b633be88c34.jpg

ab07400ce802d1eddc8d2ea5ad46754d.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The vet didn't have an open time slot when I originally had planned one. Said they would give me Heartworm prevention without an appointment. Season flank allopecia?
741b42dab9dac8c034e86b633be88c34.jpg

ab07400ce802d1eddc8d2ea5ad46754d.jpg

This picture is the back , correct? If yes.. It is not SFA... SFA happens only on the sides (flank). I would have a vet look at it, it is staph infection or some type of dermatitis

RJ Abella

Feb 15, 2015
It is the back. It isn't crusty and there are no scabs. Hobbs isn't itchy. I leave to go on a work trip today and will be gone for 9 days. My brother will be caring for Hobbs while I'm gone. Is this something that I can get looked at by a vet when I get back or should I schedule something ASAP? I really want to be present. Hobbs seems fine, it's just he's shedding a lot and has these balding spots

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.