seasonal flank alopecia

koosman09

Feb 11, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus
Interesting I would like to try that ASAP. My dog has a lot of hair loss to to allergies we believe it is. I have Melatonin pills in my house 1mg tablets , do I just give him one? Will it make him sleepy. Also is it vet recommended . And what's the science to it how does it help with re growth of hair.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Interesting I would like to try that ASAP. My dog has a lot of hair loss to to allergies we believe it is. I have Melatonin pills in my house 1mg tablets , do I just give him one? Will it make him sleepy. Also is it vet recommended . And what's the science to it how does it help with re growth of hair.

It is vet recommended but like everything else you should talk to your vet before you start it. This is good article about it, http://franklintnvet.com/melatonin-therapy-for-canine-alopecia/

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Holly has this right now, the wife and I where like wtf is that?! Little scary at first. Our vet said its normal for bully and boxers and give her melatonin. We give Holly 10mg twice a day and it's absolutely helped. Our vet actually recommended more mg's per day. Hollys affected area is not painful or sensitive at all, Holly just looks at us like will you stop poking my ribs?? :)

We put the melatonin in her kibble and she gobbles it up.

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
My 5 yr old bully Fatso has gotten seasonal flank allopecia the past 3 yrs in the spring..it just started again in the past 2 weeks..it lasts a few months and then his hair grows back..I have never given him melatonin but my 3 yr old Romeo got it severely on both sides last year and his hair only grew back on one side��so sad but my vet said it might not grow back and other than that he has no other issues..thank god!! I am trying the melatonin on Romeo now and hoping it helps bc it hurts my feelings when people ask what is wrong with him..mostly kids ask and I don't want anyone to not pet him bc of this..he loves attention so much ��

Jul 24, 2014
illinos
Bulldog(s) Names
sophia
my sophia has seasonal flank alopecia. my vet had no idea what it was , she said she saw a boxer with the ssame thing but after looking on this forum I found out what it was and told her. I give sophia 3 mg of melatonin at night.
032.jpg

I also get comments from people....like oh you need to change her food...she has fleas...no she doesnt...so when we go out she wears her dress

034.jpg

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
They just don't get enough Sun... The hair usually grows back in, but all black. And the skin will turn black before the hair grows back in. More common in some breeds then others. It's why you'll see Bullys laying in the Sun. It stinks that it happens, but isn't "harmful".

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Has anyone had flaking with the alopecia? I wasn't worried about Nelly until a couple days ago when her skin started flaking in a couple small spots. I started melatonin but understand that will take some time to work. Guess a visit to the vet is in order, in only to confirm there is no conflict with melatonin and epilepsy meds.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Has anyone had flaking with the alopecia? I wasn't worried about Nelly until a couple days ago when her skin started flaking in a couple small spots. I started melatonin but understand that will take some time to work. Guess a visit to the vet is in order, in only to confirm there is no conflict with melatonin and epilepsy meds.

Yes, give the office a call to make sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitney Chiang

May 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Thanks Jimmy , do you know if he uses just normal vitamin D pills over the counter or if dogs need special vet prescribed pills? X

You use melatonin pills, over the counter, made for people. The pills stimulate natural vitamin D production. Our vet suggested it when ours had this, but it didn't really do anything. I've heard it can work wonders or do nothing. Doesn't hurt to try. After a month or so of the pills, we stopped & just waited it out and it all eventually grew back.

RJ Abella

Feb 15, 2015
Hobbs has patches like this
d097b86a961e1f8633bb81b00422381f.jpg

Would you say it's the same? No pain or itching.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Murray has one like that too and I've been wondering the same thing

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hobbs has patches like this
d097b86a961e1f8633bb81b00422381f.jpg

Would you say it's the same? No pain or itching.

That is no SFA.... That looks like a staph infection--- are they scabs that come off easily with some fur? How old is Hobbs?

RJ Abella

Feb 15, 2015
That is no SFA.... That looks like a staph infection--- are they scabs that come off easily with some fur? How old is Hobbs?

No scabs. Hobbs is 4-5 years old. We have an appointment with a vet Thursday so we can get Heartworm and flea prevention

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No scabs. Hobbs is 4-5 years old. We have an appointment with a vet Thursday so we can get Heartworm and flea prevention

Ask if it might be staph since you will be there

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] now you have me curious about Murray as well, I will try to get some pictures in the morning in the sun

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online