seasonal flank alopecia

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
A while ago a friend of a friend (a nearly qualified vet) told me meeko had suspected seasonal flank alopecia. She told me I had to go to the vet to get a guaranteed answer but after reading online about it I just took her word for it. Ive read about the other things it could have been such as mange mites ringworm or thyroid problems and none seem to have symptoms that sound like Meeko.

It doesnt bother him at all no scratching or itchyness no sores no weight problems hes normal in his behaviour etc. lts been like it for about 2/3months and altho the baldness has spread more its not spread that much over a long period -
the problem I have is its embarrassing when I take him out ( it looks a lot worse outside in daylight for some reason) and I feel like people judge me and it looks like I neglect meeko but I dont - I groom him daily bath him usually around 1nce in 6-8 weeks and give him all the love and attention possible.

So my questions for you guys;
Does it look like seasonal flank alopecia (pics below)
how do I get his furr to grow back?!

Side 1 (the worse side)
20140326_073821.jpg
20140326_073456.jpg

side 2 - im gutted its right in his heart patch :(
20140326_073809.jpg

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Yes, it looks like it. Has he been neutered? Amongst other things it can be hormonal and neutering alters hormones. There's really no cure if it's caused by hormons or season changes. It's only cosmetic, but Melatonin can help to regrow hair.

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Hes been neutered for about 1 year he got done around 8months old so it would have been his first winter after neutering. Hes going through a really bratty teenager temperenent at the moment some days hes fine some days he really tries to push the boundaries if that is any clue towards it being hormonal?

A question without meaning to sound stupid.. what is melatonin :blush:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
[h=2]"What is it?[/h]Melatonin is a hormone found naturally in the body. Melatonin used as medicine is usually made synthetically in a laboratory. It is most commonly available in pill form, but melatonin is also available in forms that can be placed in the cheek or under the tongue. This allows the melatonin to be absorbed directly into the body.

People use melatonin to adjust the body’s internal clock. It is used for jet lag, for adjusting sleep-wake cycles in people whose daily work schedule changes (shift-work disorder), and for helping blind people establish a day and night cycle.

Melatonin is also used for the inability to fall asleep (insomnia); delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS); insomnia associated with attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD); insomnia due to certain high blood pressure medications called beta-blockers; and sleep problems in children with developmental disorders including autism, cerebral palsy, and intellectual disabilities. It is also used as a sleep aid after discontinuing the use of benzodiazepine drugs and to reduce the side effects of stopping smoking.

Some people use melatonin for Alzheimer’s disease, ringing in the ears, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), fibromyalgia, migraine and other headaches, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), bone loss (osteoporosis), a movement disorder called tardive dyskinesia (TD), epilepsy, as an anti-aging agent, for menopause, and for birth control.

Other uses include breast cancer, brain cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer, head cancer, neck cancer, and gastrointestinal cancer. Melatonin is also used for some of the side effects of cancer treatment (chemotherapy) including weight loss, nerve pain, weakness, and a lowered number of clot-forming cells (thrombocytopenia).

It is also used to calm people before they are given anesthesia for surgery.

The forms of melatonin that can be absorbed through the cheek or under the tongue are used for insomnia, shift-work disorder, and to calm people before receiving anesthesia for surgery.

Sometimes people apply melatonin to the skin to protect against sunburn."

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Sherman has the exact same thing. I researched then called my vet. He confirmed it. Just another bully issue I guess.

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Thankyou [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] im going to look into getting some for sure - I know its only cosmetic but I hate him looking un cared for!
[MENTION=9213]Jonel[/MENTION] does Shermans look the same/similar to meekos in the pics? Do you have any pics at all? Thankyou xx

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
Ignore those people who judge you without knowing the issue. Seriously, people can be so rude! You wouldn't judge a mom with a kid who has a disorder, so why do that to someone with a pet?? As long as you know Meeko is happy and cared for, then that's all that matters :)

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
my mate who has 2 bullies has the same sort of thing, i think it was lack os sun light and suggested vitamin d

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
my mate who has 2 bullies has the same sort of thing, i think it was lack os sun light and suggested vitamin d

Thanks Jimmy , do you know if he uses just normal vitamin D pills over the counter or if dogs need special vet prescribed pills? X

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My Fr/eng had this on both side. I rubbed NuStock on bald places-it will have the hair grow in.

Annabella

May 16, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella
Hi Tasha...my Annabella has the same thing. She started last year, it starts in the Spring and by Fall her fur grew back. Unfortunately it is a yearly thing and my vet says there is nothing that can be done, let nature take it's course. I agree with you that it looks bad but she is my BFF and I know I have done everything possible for her, I will stand proud next to her and not let anyone's opinion embarrass me just like it wouldn't if it were one of my "skin kids". I am the luckiest person to have this lovable bundle of fur in my life!

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Sherman's is exactly the same as your pics. Much more visible in the sunlight. Vet said Melatonin caps could help. I got some on Amazon and just started them on it. It doesn't seem to be getting worse at least.

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
MeekosMummy, don't worry yourself with what others may think of your dog or you! You know that you're a great bully mommy and that's all that matters! And honestly, the pics of Meeko don't look bad at all to me. Ill show u pics of my Bodie, this is bad skin issues and I once was embarrassed by it too, but I know that we have and still do go above and beyond for our Bodie. There's just some things that are out of our control. God made our bullies this way for reasons unknown to us but for sure for good reasons!!
ysygu7ad.jpg
yby5u9ep.jpg

BullyLove!!!

koosman09

Feb 11, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus
Melatonin? please explain, Im having similar issues. how do you give melatonin, isnt that for sleep?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Melatonin? please explain, Im having similar issues. how do you give melatonin, isnt that for sleep?

Melatonin is used for sleep but is also given to dogs that suffer from alopecia. It helps the hair grow back.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online