Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: seasonal flank alopecia

Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: seasonal flank alopecia

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    @CCandMurray I started giving Melatonin when Maude got SFA. So the others got melatonin at the same time as Maude- BEFORE they got SFA.(just the bullies) Their skin turned dark,but they never had hair loss,and after about a month their skin went back to normal. That is why I think that melatonin helps prevent it-before it gets to the bald stage. The hair has never grown back on one side of Maude.
    Barkley got SFA for the 1st time last year and after it had already gotten bad on both sides I started giving the melatonin. It took a LONG time for the fur to finally grow back, but it did! I also was using a really cheap brand of the melatonin at first and not seeing much results so then bought some of the Nature Made brand and that seemed to help much more!

This year his sides started thinning a little so I started him on the melatonin right away and it cleared right up and is back to normal! So I do think if you can start them on it right away that it will work better/faster! I will probably start him on it again next year around the same time to help prevent it again.

2. Likes Manydogs, 2BullyMama, suzyrainbows liked this post

Update on Hobbs. I didn't end up taking him to a vet. I asked a bulldog breeding friend and she recommended that I change his food to Taste of the Wild Salmon. I'm still not comfortable switching to a Diamond product and stuck with Fromm Salmon. I'm happy I stuck with this food because Hobb's stool is always firm now and he poops when we take him out in the morning and evening like clockwork. She told me to bath Hobbs with GNC anti fungal shampoo 3 times a week for 2 weeks and feed him 1 zrtec everyday for 30 days. The shampoo and conditioner did the trick! He is shedding like a normal bulldog and his bald patches aren't getting worse. I recommend the product! GNC Pets Medicated Anti-Bacterial & Anti-Fungal Shampoo- Lavender Scent - GNC PETS 1020873 - GNC

4. Likes 2BullyMama, suzyrainbows liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Abella View Post
    Update on Hobbs. I didn't end up taking him to a vet. I asked a bulldog breeding friend and she recommended that I change his food to Taste of the Wild Salmon. I'm still not comfortable switching to a Diamond product and stuck with Fromm Salmon. I'm happy I stuck with this food because Hobb's stool is always firm now and he poops when we take him out in the morning and evening like clockwork. She told me to bath Hobbs with GNC anti fungal shampoo 3 times a week for 2 weeks and feed him 1 zrtec everyday for 30 days. The shampoo and conditioner did the trick! He is shedding like a normal bulldog and his bald patches aren't getting worse. I recommend the product! GNC Pets Medicated Anti-Bacterial & Anti-Fungal Shampoo- Lavender Scent - GNC PETS 1020873 - GNC
    Great to hear it is getting better! Please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Suzy
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rufus and Chunk
    Likes (Received)

@CCandMurray