Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bladder Stones

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    That's good news! Did he tell you what kind of stones they are? Has his urine been tested? I can not stress enough how important it is to know.
    Hi! Just wanted to give an update....Barkley had his surgery last week and everything went well. The vet just called with the results of the stone analysis and they are cystine stones He said that Barkley needs to be on the Science Hills UD food now to prevent them from coming back. He wants me to switch him to that and then come back in a couple weeks so he can test his urine.

I know that Science Hills is not a great brand of food at all and I definitely do not want to be feeding him crappy food. I will have to check out the group you mentioned above and see if they have any recommendations on feeding to prevent the stones from coming back other than the Science Hills.

Thanks!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sunkissedpr1ncs View Post
    Hi! Just wanted to give an update....Barkley had his surgery last week and everything went well. The vet just called with the results of the stone analysis and they are cystine stones He said that Barkley needs to be on the Science Hills UD food now to prevent them from coming back. He wants me to switch him to that and then come back in a couple weeks so he can test his urine.

I know that Science Hills is not a great brand of food at all and I definitely do not want to be feeding him crappy food. I will have to check out the group you mentioned above and see if they have any recommendations on feeding to prevent the stones from coming back other than the Science Hills.

Thanks!

Happy to hear all went well with the surgery.... Hills ids OK for short term, but you are right in researching and getting advice for a better food for him. BEST of luck
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)

I am no help. My sister had a collie, she was a bit older (8 years) and she kept getting these. Eventually got the surgery but they kept coming back. I hope if you get it done its not like what she went through. I would ask the vet if they would come back after the surgery or not and how to prevent it.

i should probably read the comments before posting huh?! hehe well im glad the surgery went well and you already covered the grounds opn helping to prevent them!! much luck and SO HAPPY for a recovery!!

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sunkissedpr1ncs View Post

Thanks!
    That's great that the surgery went well!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dexter
    Likes (Received)

SAME THING WITH MY BABY!!! Had him on that crap food for a long time and then I swapped to Castor and Pollux from PetsMart and I've never had any issues... My vet said it's ok as long as he's going potty normally.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Great that the surgery went well! Cystine stones can be tricky, but you can also find a group for Canine cystinuria in yahoo and they have great suggestions on other type of feeding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads