HESKA Allergy test results. This can't be right..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
So last week Blue had the Heska allergy test.
They emailed me the results today.

According to the test, the only things he's allergic to are: For grasses only Corn Pollen. For food, only Wheat Grain. THAT'S IT!!
He was tested for over a hundred various Grasses, Trees, Weeds, Mites, Insects, Epithelials, Fungi, and Food.

So now we need to decide if we going to do the skin test. I'm at a loss. It's obvious something's causing his itching and licking but the test showed nothing. Just don't know what to do anymore..

Should we even bother with the skin test? I mean he's still itching, even on Raw, so I'm about to change him to Venison protein. But at this point, I have no idea if it's really the food or not.

Our other option is to put him on Apoquel. But it's a long term medication, something we really didn't want to do...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Whut?? Does he show any borderline results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Whut?? Does he show any borderline results?

Nope. Everything else was below 10. The Corn Pollen was 15 and the Wheat was 12. So I guess those would be borderline.

I just went to their website. For food part of the test, this is what it says:
"* Heska, in agreement with the American College of Veterinary Dermatology, does not recommend IgE testing for foods. A compliant exclusionary diet trial, followed by provocative re-challenge, is recommended for animals suspected of suffering from adverse reaction to foods. "
Uh, then why test for it at all??

At least we know that he's not allergic to the most common things. For food, we're back to changing proteins and eliminating peas and potato.

Expensive lesson learned. For those of you who want to do an allergy test (the "IgE serum" test) for food, don't bother, it's not recommended.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Poor Blue. I hope you find what's causing his issues. Sending lots of love.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You're right it was an expensive lesson learned! But people will see this post and learn from it too, I'm so sorry. Hopefully you'll find the right protein for him.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=9205]JennieS[/MENTION] Thank you. We're switching to Venison next. [MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] True. Hopefully someone will see this and think twice about doing this test for food.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ugh poor blue. I hope you find whats making him itchy. Im also sorry you had to go through the expense for nothing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
what the heck test is that? Blue was not on any steriods for 30 days prior to the test was he? if yes, that might explain it

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] thank you.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Nope, no steroids before the test. Prior to this round, which we didn't start until after they drew blood, he was on steroids back in the beginning of December.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@brutus77 thank you.
@2BullyMama Nope, no steroids before the test. Prior to this round, which we didn't start until after they drew blood, he was on steroids back in the beginning of December.

so, so strange. i am going to dig up Banks/Nitschke's paperwork and see what their test was called. be back

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay.... For the heck of it. Let's just say it is not the food. Not common molds and pollens.

That brings us to shampoo, detergent, plastics, bedding, ect.

Molly got very itchy once during her heat and when she laid on certain blankets. She was spending a lot of time in her crate during that and I was talking with Cheryl and Leslie about it. Cheryl suggested the possibility of her having a reaction to the plastic in her crate. Then I told Leslie about that and Leslie told me many blankets have material with plastic. Since I no longer crate her and don't use blankets that are that material anymore she hasn't had any more problems.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
so, so strange. i am going to dig up Banks/Nitschke's paperwork and see what their test was called. be back

That would be great. I'm really curious. But it's probably the same, or a very similar test.

Can I post the pdf file of the results? The vets office emailed it to me.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION]

similar, something to keep in mind, Nitschke was done in 8/2005 and Banks in 4/2008. The test went to a lab in Deer Park, NY (Nelco.vet, inc) and it is listed as Allergy test inhalent and food Heska Northeast. The results either have an * or LP /HP next to them.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mine showed a number next to each. That was waaaaay back when though, and what if all other foods and allergens are a 9?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.