Allergic reaction! Anyone had any side effects from Ranceph antibiotics?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I got so scared this morning when I did the "morning checkup" on Bennie:*( He had like swollen spots on his chest, under his front legs and some bumps on the rest of his body too. And a huge swollen spot on the skin hanging under his chin:(.

Threw him in the car and took him to nearest proper vet which is about 45 minutes from here. Luckily it's nothing serious, the vet thinks he just got a reaction to the wet weather we've had lately combined with some tick bites he's had over the last week. We've also tried to switch him to a better food, but he just can't eat anything else that what we used to feed him. He throws up and/or gets itchy from all other foods we've tried... I'm thinking the food switch can have had a part in this too even though he's back on his normal food again. Maybe his immune system got a bit low from it all:unsure:

So he got a cortisone shot and Ranceph antibiotics... I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Ranceph? Bennie is so sensitive, poor guy:(

We also got them all Virbac tick collar to keep the ticks off them completely. We don't have heartworm here and I've not seen any fleas, so I never really felt it was necessary to give them anything against it. I've been feeling a bit hesitant against giving them pills or putting stuff on them... but I feel bad now for not doing it:ashamed: Ticks hasn't been a problem before but where we live now there are lots of cats roaming around, I think they bring it into our yard:mellow:

Have to give him his first antibiotic pill now... hoping he will feel better soon, my little boy<3

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So sorry Petra. Hope he feels better soon. Ranceph is Cephalaxin, which is a drug that I just had for my Great Pyrenees. She did not have any ill effects from it, but, as you know every one is different. I hope all goes well and Bennie feels like himself quickly!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Awe poor sweet Bennie! With what he was prescribed he should feel better in no time. So many bullies have an allergic reaction to springtime, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you guys:hug: It has now been about 6 hours since he got his shot and antibiotic pill... the bumps are already gone:) He seems a bit depressed about the tick collar though but I think he'll get over it once he gets used to it... it does smell A LOT of mint, the whole house smells like a toothpaste factory:tongue: He doesn't seem to have any bad reaction to the antibiotic or the collar, which is a relief, I always stress giving them new things, especially Bennie cos he's so sensitive to everything.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When ever I put a new flea collar on my dogs, they act like I've tried to kill them. They roll around and then go lay down and sulk for an hour. All the dogs I've ever had have done the same thing! Drama queens!

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
When ever I put a new flea collar on my dogs, they act like I've tried to kill them. They roll around and then go lay down and sulk for an hour. All the dogs I've ever had have done the same thing! Drama queens!

Lol, that's funny:) Bennie doesn't try to get it off at least, he's just been laying in one spot looking sad. He got happy just now when my husband got back from work, so I'm hoping he'll get back to his normal self again now:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hoping Bennie is doing better!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online