Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay so input would be nice about spaying.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)

Default Okay so input would be nice about spaying.

So today jovi got her surgical exam. Which was literally only 5 mins (I thought there was more to it) And the vet we took her to seemed..... well rude. I didnt quite like him. So after her spaying surgery I think I will take my business elsewhere. He seemed to know a lot on her breed, but at the same time he wasn't personable AT ALL and seemed more critical than friendly. But anyways.. My questions are her spaying is on the 10th of April. Now, it says that for an extra cost I can get all these extras done like bloodwork, fluid therapy, and extra pain killers (which that i may purchase0 but is the fluid therapy and bloodwork necessary? Or is it just a scam for more money. Just curious on thoughts.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Okay so input would be nice about spaying.

I have never had anything more than a check up when having my dogs spayed. As long as your girl's heart and lungs sound okay-shouldn't need those things-but you are the mother! Mine never even had pain meds. They just came home and acted normal.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Only thing they did prior to Blue's cherry eye surgery, aside from a physical exam, was take an x-ray of his chest. They were making sure there was no pneumonia. They said that the x-ray was routine before any surgery. But I'm not sure how "routine" it really is...

Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    I have never had anything more than a check up when having my dogs spayed. As long as your girl's heart and lungs sound okay-shouldn't need those things-but you are the mother! Mine never even had pain meds. They just came home and acted normal.

Yeah I know that vets always try and get you to spend more money. And when Im told a certain fee for something I am always scared it is going to turn out to be a grand more than they told me. Because they are generally like that. Thats why I had to ask for advice before they take my entire paycheck from me! haha

Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post
    Only thing they did prior to Blue's cherry eye surgery, aside from a physical exam, was take an x-ray of his chest. They were making sure there was no pneumonia. They said that the x-ray was routine before any surgery. But I'm not sure how "routine" it really is...
    yeah he didnt mention anything about xrays and on the paper it just talks about extra things to spend money on. So im just hoping im doing the right thing without spending all my money.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Leo & Lola
    Likes (Received)

I personally think extra pain meds are not necessary. Lola and Leo came home with pain meds that I never even used. They were fine by the next day and I had to try really hard to keep them from playing too hard as I was afraid they would rupture something. It all turned out fine. Save the money. If anything, a little bit of pain will keep her less boisterous and less likely to injure the internal stitching and incision area.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agentbunny View Post
    I personally think extra pain meds are not necessary. Lola and Leo came home with pain meds that I never even used. They were fine by the next day and I had to try really hard to keep them from playing too hard as I was afraid they would rupture something. It all turned out fine. Save the money. If anything, a little bit of pain will keep her less boisterous and less likely to injure the internal stitching and incision area.

Agree, and I would think they would give some fluids anyway to her after having anesthesia!!! How much would they charge for that? Takes less than 5 mins and only 200ml more than likely. A bag comes with 1000 and it's hardly any cost for them. If they do not do this as standard protocol and it's not too expensive, go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)

Thanks you all made me feel a lot better!! I honestly thought possibly I would be a "bad mommy" If I didn't get all the extras because our babies are worth it. But boy am I even more ecstatic that I can be a good mommy without throwing away the extra money. Thanks guys :] I feel so much better!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The vets here always do bloodwork prior to surgery. I think it's to determine if the anaesthesia's the right choice ... although I always tell them to only use iso or the other one that's recommended here. But I could be wrong .... didn't know we had a choice!
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    The vets here always does bloodwork prior to surgery. I think it's to determine if the anaesthesia's the right choice ... although I always tell them to only use iso or the other one that's recommended here. But I could be wrong .... didn't know we had a choice!
    ya that scares me now! haha yeah it is a choice for an extra 90 dollars!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

please use isofluorane only as an anesthetic for bullies!! i work with animals and this is the easiest on them, and easiest to recover from, remove the gas, patient comes back to consciousness.

Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aprilemari View Post
    please use isofluorane only as an anesthetic for bullies!! i work with animals and this is the easiest on them, and easiest to recover from, remove the gas, patient comes back to consciousness.
    i am unsure what type they use. do i request it or is it possible they already use that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads