Okay so input would be nice about spaying.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
So today jovi got her surgical exam. Which was literally only 5 mins (I thought there was more to it) And the vet we took her to seemed..... well rude. I didnt quite like him. So after her spaying surgery I think I will take my business elsewhere. He seemed to know a lot on her breed, but at the same time he wasn't personable AT ALL and seemed more critical than friendly. But anyways.. My questions are her spaying is on the 10th of April. Now, it says that for an extra cost I can get all these extras done like bloodwork, fluid therapy, and extra pain killers (which that i may purchase0 but is the fluid therapy and bloodwork necessary? Or is it just a scam for more money. Just curious on thoughts.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have never had anything more than a check up when having my dogs spayed. As long as your girl's heart and lungs sound okay-shouldn't need those things-but you are the mother! Mine never even had pain meds. They just came home and acted normal.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Only thing they did prior to Blue's cherry eye surgery, aside from a physical exam, was take an x-ray of his chest. They were making sure there was no pneumonia. They said that the x-ray was routine before any surgery. But I'm not sure how "routine" it really is...

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
I have never had anything more than a check up when having my dogs spayed. As long as your girl's heart and lungs sound okay-shouldn't need those things-but you are the mother! Mine never even had pain meds. They just came home and acted normal.

Yeah I know that vets always try and get you to spend more money. And when Im told a certain fee for something I am always scared it is going to turn out to be a grand more than they told me. Because they are generally like that. Thats why I had to ask for advice before they take my entire paycheck from me! haha

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Only thing they did prior to Blue's cherry eye surgery, aside from a physical exam, was take an x-ray of his chest. They were making sure there was no pneumonia. They said that the x-ray was routine before any surgery. But I'm not sure how "routine" it really is...

yeah he didnt mention anything about xrays and on the paper it just talks about extra things to spend money on. So im just hoping im doing the right thing without spending all my money.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I personally think extra pain meds are not necessary. Lola and Leo came home with pain meds that I never even used. They were fine by the next day and I had to try really hard to keep them from playing too hard as I was afraid they would rupture something. It all turned out fine. Save the money. If anything, a little bit of pain will keep her less boisterous and less likely to injure the internal stitching and incision area.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I personally think extra pain meds are not necessary. Lola and Leo came home with pain meds that I never even used. They were fine by the next day and I had to try really hard to keep them from playing too hard as I was afraid they would rupture something. It all turned out fine. Save the money. If anything, a little bit of pain will keep her less boisterous and less likely to injure the internal stitching and incision area.

Agree, and I would think they would give some fluids anyway to her after having anesthesia!!! How much would they charge for that? Takes less than 5 mins and only 200ml more than likely. A bag comes with 1000 and it's hardly any cost for them. If they do not do this as standard protocol and it's not too expensive, go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Thanks you all made me feel a lot better!! I honestly thought possibly I would be a "bad mommy" If I didn't get all the extras because our babies are worth it. But boy am I even more ecstatic that I can be a good mommy without throwing away the extra money. Thanks guys :] I feel so much better!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
The vets here always do bloodwork prior to surgery. I think it's to determine if the anaesthesia's the right choice ... although I always tell them to only use iso or the other one that's recommended here. But I could be wrong .... didn't know we had a choice!

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
The vets here always does bloodwork prior to surgery. I think it's to determine if the anaesthesia's the right choice ... although I always tell them to only use iso or the other one that's recommended here. But I could be wrong .... didn't know we had a choice!

ya that scares me now! haha yeah it is a choice for an extra 90 dollars!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
please use isofluorane only as an anesthetic for bullies!! i work with animals and this is the easiest on them, and easiest to recover from, remove the gas, patient comes back to consciousness.

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
please use isofluorane only as an anesthetic for bullies!! i work with animals and this is the easiest on them, and easiest to recover from, remove the gas, patient comes back to consciousness.

i am unsure what type they use. do i request it or is it possible they already use that?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
For Harlea's spay we were given the option of bloodwork and ekg as the pain meds were already included in the price. We went ahead and had both done as it will provide base lines in the future should a condition arise that would warrant another test. As far as the pain meds go..... Yeah they can be a waste. We only gave Harlea one dose when we brought her home and thats it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i am unsure what type they use. do i request it or is it possible they already use that?

They likely already use it, but before I'd ever put Lola out, I'd make sure they use iso

sent from my droid mini

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
They likely already use it, but before I'd ever put Lola out, I'd make sure they use iso

sent from my droid mini

I looked on their website just to see if they would have it and it states this "Virtually every surgical procedure done in dogs and cats requires intubation and gas anesthesia. The modern gas anesthetics are halothane, isoflurane and sevoflurane. Methoxyflurane is out-of-date." Now I am unsure if it is mixed or they choose which one it is or if its all one thing... lol I dont have much knowledge on this but I can def always ask them.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online