Bald spot

Leon van houkje

Mar 17, 2014
Groningen, North Holland
Country
Holland
Bulldog(s) Names
Leon Van T' Houkje
Leon as had a bald spot on the back of his neck it's getting bigger, he's had it about three weeks now, I've been to the vets he gave me some cream but doesn't seem to be work any advise would be great if you also encountered this problem.
7uqy5u5u.jpg
upezemyg.jpg
7eja2a3e.jpg
6a4e7a8u.jpg

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
My guess is your vet hopefully ruled out mange, or any other mite/skin problem. So, with meatball he started getting some thin spots here and there last year. We figured out it had to do with a mix of dry skin( why he scratched so much) and some food allergies. Meatball and salmon don't mix! I started putting olive/coconut oil in his food, and stayed away from salmon foods. His hair never fully returned as thick as it was, but the thin spots are covered. Also, Meatball gets very itchy after a roll in the grass as we'll. hope this helps a bit. Your bully is too CUTE!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 228

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree.... Has mange (several forms of it) been ruled out?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree-did he do a skin scrape? I know of a product that would take care of it Don't know if you could get it.It's called Nu Stock. You could find it on internet. Or get some pure coconut oil and rub it in skin each day.

OP
Leon van houkje

Leon van houkje

Mar 17, 2014
Groningen, North Holland
Country
Holland
Bulldog(s) Names
Leon Van T' Houkje
He said that he saw this quite regular in bulldogs and just gave me this cream.... He isn't scratching or itchy at all

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He said that he saw this quite regular in bulldogs and just gave me this cream.... He isn't scratching or itchy at all

I'd pretty much push till he did the scrape,

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Years ago I had a vet who said if there was no reason for the bald spot, to give my dog melatonin. He said it would help with the hair growth. I never did try it because we figured out with my bully at the time. Don't know if my vet was nuts, but that is what he said. Maybe you can ask your vet about it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The medication you were given is very similar to panalog, it's an antibacterial, anti fungal and steroid. It is likely a great medicine for many skin conditions. The only thing that bothers me is the area does not look unhealthy, swollen or itchy. Just missing hair. So will it work? Good possibility. It's kind of a cure all. But this certain could be mange so if you don't see positive results in the next couple of days I would go back for a skin scrape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Looks like demodex mange to me. If he have you an anti-fungal treatment perhaps he thought it was ringworm? Either way, he should have tested the spot. If he did not, ask him to do a skin scrape. Localized demodex can quickly turn into generalized demodex and the treatment of oral or subcutaneous ivermectin lasts for months.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola had bald spots for months that grew and grew. They were not itchy so if Leon isnt itchy, its probably not mange. Lola's bald spots (which were on her side) were food allergy related. SHe had been cut off chicken (itchy) and was onto beef, which was ok for itchiness but the bald spots were growing, like a good ten inches long and three inches wide on her side (and not black under neath like the alopecia presents). SInce she was on a commercially available raw, we started varying the protein, adding a salmon nugget here and there, and what do you know, the hair started growing back! Never thought that would happen. We gave a salmon nugget every day (a tiny one added to her beef/venison patty) and it all grew back. Tried to move her totally to salmon and holy crap it was her itchiest night ever! So it was good for one thing, but not good as the only protein source. SHe's off the salmon now and onto another protein and the hair is still there. But it started out as one spot, then two, then three then those three opened up together to make one big bald spot. Does Leon have any more? Can you give him salmon or coconut oil to see if it would help for a while? If it's not itchy, I doubt you need medication or a vet visit, but i'm no expert. Our vets just shrugged and said if it isnt itchy, i'm not going to make her bleed for a mange test for no reason.

edited: now i was super worried for a long time and pretty much demanded that my husband ask the vet for a skin scraping (i was working that day so couldnt go) but the vet was sure it wasnt mange because it wasnt itchy. (i was still peeved when it wasnt done after i got home that day). And the bully wasnt trying to itch it on the wall or scraping herself up elsewhere cuz she couldnt reach it etc. you KNOW when your bully is itchy even if she can't reach what she's after you know? the scraping is painful, they have to scrape the skin until it bleeds a little to get material to put on a slide to see if there are lots of mites. there are always some mites, but its the number of them that deems it out of control instead of normal.

OP
Leon van houkje

Leon van houkje

Mar 17, 2014
Groningen, North Holland
Country
Holland
Bulldog(s) Names
Leon Van T' Houkje
It's not dry and it's not at all itchy, I was also thinking maybe it's good related.
We can't get the same food as you guys in the states but I'm thinking of switching him over and I have two options in mind farm foods is 100% natural cold pressed or orijen for puppies.
http://farmfood.com

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's not dry and it's not at all itchy, I was also thinking maybe it's good related.
We can't get the same food as you guys in the states but I'm thinking of switching him over and I have two options in mind farm foods is 100% natural cold pressed or orijen for puppies.
http://farmfood.com

here are two members I can think of that might be able to give some info -- [MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION] @dieMuttivonBifi

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.