Help Needed! High temperature swollen face eye discharge

Bigsteiner5

Mar 22, 2014
Bethlehem PA
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bane and Vader
How's it going. Been Lurking the forum for some time and this is my first post. My young male pup was very lethargic last night, wouldn't eat drink breathing funny and felt warm so I took him to the pet hospital. His temp was 104.5 so the dr thought it was just a bug so he have him some fluids and an antibiotic shot. Upon release his temp lowered to 103.1 but was still really Down. Went to bed 130 am wake up at 7 and his whole right side of his face is swollen. I take him to his normal vet and they can't figure it out they think he has pneumonia. They have him chest X-ray's pain meds and Benadryl. They watched him all day giving him fluids through a catheter. His temp has been around 102 or lower all day. He's been eating drinking and doing his business norMally but his face is huge and swollen. He is back at the er for the night for observation and now the dr is giving him steroids bc he thinks the swelling is spreading. If anyone has any Idea your help would be greatly appreciated. My wife started to get disgruntled bc we have spent $1400+ since last night for the 3 sep dr visits meds ect.

- - - Updated - - -

The top two pictures are from this afternoon and the bottom one is before the swelling begun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 153

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Im do sorry i have no idea ,has his worming is up to date?
With puppies i wouldnt try and sort temperature myself -they can deteriorate very quickly -i would suggest a visit to diffrent vet
i hope there is someone who can help you here

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a sweet baby! Only thing i can think of us a spider bite or bee sting, but since they gave benedeyl and steroids that would be ruled out.

Sending prayers to you and your baby..... Please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OP
Bigsteiner5

Bigsteiner5

Mar 22, 2014
Bethlehem PA
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bane and Vader
Yes he's utd on shots. He was actually set to receive his last puppy shots on Monday but the dr actually pushed them back bc of this. He's has 2 dr at each place look over his paperwork and blood work and are stumped. I was told to call back at 930 to see how he is doing so we are praying that the swelling had subsided. His older brother Bane keeps wondering where his sidekick is!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 129

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It can be a reaction to his shots!!! Jim and his boy Chumly had an horrendous experience. [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OP
Bigsteiner5

Bigsteiner5

Mar 22, 2014
Bethlehem PA
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bane and Vader
He got shots about 3 weeks ago and was set to get his last set this Monday coming up but she's pushing them back. He did get an antibiotic shot a couple hours before this swelling began. I have to look and see what it was but they said it should last 2-3 weeks. Could that shot have caused this?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He got shots about 3 weeks ago and was set to get his last set this Monday coming up but she's pushing them back. He did get an antibiotic shot a couple hours before this swelling began. I have to look and see what it was but they said it should last 2-3 weeks. Could that shot have caused this?

Sure.... Allergy to whatever the antibiotic is. Figure lts of people are allergic to penicillin why not a pup to something similar.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Antibiotic allergy, possible snakebite, flying insect bite, spiderbite........have they checked his thyroid?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Omg, poor sweet baby!! I'm guessing they got bloodwork, although may be waiting in the results.

Without a doubt, he's having an allergic reaction to something.... But the question is which came first, the reaction or the sickness? Was he already having an allergic reaction which caused the temp to spike?

I am not sure.....allergic reactions like this usually come on pretty quickly, within an hour or two of the cause, so highly possible it was antibiotic the first vet gave. Otherwise I would think it surely was a spider bite, bee sting, ect because that is exactly what happens and how they look when it does. The steroid should stop the swelling, and if this was all due to a bite of some sort he's hopefully on his way to recovery now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
This may just be a shot in the dark but were they rabies shots that he recently received. Like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] mentioned my bully got a major swelling reaction from a rabies shot he was not due to receive..2 bulldog savvy doctors swore it wasn't the cause but it started a few house after I got him home and there were no changes in food or anything else to pinpoint it on...he didn't have swelling but they started off as small bumps that grew into bloody sores...antibiotics and steroids cured it but it took a month or so. I hope your guy is alright...could be something completely different from what i experienced. Good luck to you...heres a pic of Chumley at his worst.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 120
OP
Bigsteiner5

Bigsteiner5

Mar 22, 2014
Bethlehem PA
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bane and Vader
Just got vader back his swelling went down and he's acting like his normal self. They didnt check his thyroid and it's still kinda cool in PA Not sure what bugs are out but he was outside playing for 1/2-1 hr Thursday. Just happy he's feeling/looks better. I will check w his dr about his thyroid on Monday when he goes in for checkup. Thx for the help and suggestions everyone. Hopefully I will be reading and contributing to the forum in the future

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So happy he is doing much better.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great news! Would love you to become an active group member- your experience will help another someday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just got vader back his swelling went down and he's acting like his normal self. They didnt check his thyroid and it's still kinda cool in PA Not sure what bugs are out but he was outside playing for 1/2-1 hr Thursday. Just happy he's feeling/looks better. I will check w his dr about his thyroid on Monday when he goes in for checkup. Thx for the help and suggestions everyone. Hopefully I will be reading and contributing to the forum in the future

YO Bethlehem..... we're almost neighbors, about an hour away! So glad to hear Vader is doing better.... please keep us posted and we need PICTURES :shout: Please :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.