Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! 3rd Anal Gland Infection

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis
    Likes (Received)

Default Help! 3rd Anal Gland Infection

We have never owned an English Bulldog before. We have an adorable 2 year old 62 lb English bulldog who started having anal gland problems about 6 months ago. The first infection was detected at our pet groomers- our dog did not show any signs (no scooting). We were put on antiobiotics and it cleared. I started taking him to the vet to get expressed every few weeks. One week he would not let them do it - he was not in the mood. A week later we had another infection plus almost a rupture so were put on antiobotics and steroids. We went back to make sure it was cleared and it was. They told us to go back a month later which is today. We went this morning and we are back on medication due to another infection! I feel so hopeless. They mentioned surgery and I told them I wanted to try some other things before we just jump into surgery. I talked to a vet (not ours he was not in today) and she told me to potentially have him lose weight and change his dog food. She also mentioned to add bran cereal to his food. Has anyone experienced this before? What should I do? Is there any way to help stop the infections?
    Thanks for any help!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Help! 3rd Anal Gland Infection

Poor baby! What are you using to clean it and keep it dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otis2611 View Post
    We have never owned an English Bulldog before. We have an adorable 2 year old 62 lb English bulldog who started having anal gland problems about 6 months ago. The first infection was detected at our pet groomers- our dog did not show any signs (no scooting). We were put on antiobiotics and it cleared. I started taking him to the vet to get expressed every few weeks. One week he would not let them do it - he was not in the mood. A week later we had another infection plus almost a rupture so were put on antiobotics and steroids. We went back to make sure it was cleared and it was. They told us to go back a month later which is today. We went this morning and we are back on medication due to another infection! I feel so hopeless. They mentioned surgery and I told them I wanted to try some other things before we just jump into surgery. I talked to a vet (not ours he was not in today) and she told me to potentially have him lose weight and change his dog food. She also mentioned to add bran cereal to his food. Has anyone experienced this before? What should I do? Is there any way to help stop the infections?
    Thanks for any help!

I just went went throught this with my girl, wow what a mess Nd so painful for them. We can help!

how much does Otis weight? What are you feeding? And can you post a picture of him from above looking at his waist/back?

once we have this info we can give some pointers for you! @JeannieCO. And @KMARINO have bullies that needs annals expressed regularly too and they can give advice on what helps them.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    I just went went throught this with my girl, wow what a mess Nd so painful for them. We can help!

how much does Otis weight? What are you feeding? And can you post a picture of him from above looking at his waist/back?

once we have this info we can give some pointers for you! @JeannieCO. And @KMARINO have bullies that needs annals expressed regularly too and they can give advice on what helps them.
    Although I have had to have Vegas's glands expressed for over 4 years now, THANK GOD, he has never had an infection!! He lets me know on an average of every 5-7 weeks when he needs them done. He scoots his smelly bottom all over my area rug! Quick trip to the vet tech ($17.00) to release them and he's good to go for another 5-7 weeks.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis
    Likes (Received)

They did not tell me to clean it. It hasn't ruptured. He is only on Cephalexin the antibacteria medicine.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

They did not tell me to clean it. It hasn't ruptured. He is only on Cephalexin the antibacteria medicine.
    usually when infected they leak.... nothing coming out his bumm at all?
    e.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis
    Likes (Received)

He weighs 62 lb. He is currently eating Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul (the breeder had him on this). I never switched him because I was afraid of upsetting his stomach. The vet recommended Royal Canine? She thought a fish and potato food. I am not really sure what it means so I bought the bran cereal to see if that helps his stool get harder this weekend. Do you want a picture of his tail? I read sometimes an inverted tail can make it worse. I am not sure if he has one or not.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis
    Likes (Received)

No leaking. We do wipe his bumm after he goes #2 .

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

He weighs 62 lb. He is currently eating Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul (the breeder had him on this). I never switched him because I was afraid of upsetting his stomach. The vet recommended Royal Canine? She thought a fish and potato food. I am not really sure what it means so I bought the bran cereal to see if that helps his stool get harder this weekend. Do you want a picture of his tail? I read sometimes an inverted tail can make it worse. I am not sure if he has one or not.
    yes, picture of the tail will help.

I know you already got the bran, but I would not do that.... do you have or can you get 100% pure canned pumpkin (not pie filling), one tablespoon in with his food will helps loosen his stool.
    The two foods you mention are very low rated foods, 3 star or less. so might be good idea to look into something higher quaility. you will pay more, but feed less, and have less health issues.

does Otis have any other health issue you are addressing or is the anal gland it

@blueberry's mom.... can you help for a new food search once we get more info from Otis' mom?
    e.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    yes, picture of the tail will help.

I know you already got the bran, but I would not do that.... do you have or can you get 100% pure canned pumpkin (not pie filling), one tablespoon in with his food will helps loosen his stool.
    The two foods you mention are very low rated foods, 3 star or less. so might be good idea to look into something higher quaility. you will pay more, but feed less, and have less health issues.

does Otis have any other health issue you are addressing or is the anal gland it

@blueberry's mom.... can you help for a new food search once we get more info from Otis' mom?

Shouldn't I be trying to make the stool harder? He has soft stools now. I thought that making them harder helps to excrete the glands so they don't get infected. Any food help would be greatly appreciated!!
    He is healthy other than the recent gland issue. We have not had any other issues.
    -tail-jpg

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Shouldn't I be trying to make the stool harder? He has soft stools now. I thought that making them harder helps to excrete the glands so they don't get infected. Any food help would be greatly appreciated!!
    He is healthy other than the recent gland issue. We have not had any other issues.
    -tail-jpg
    very tight tail indeed.... have the vet said it is an issue or could be? CUTE Bully bum

Pumpkin helps both ways... firm up and loosen. i will tag some other members to help with suggestions on the gland issue to se if they have advice.

Food-- some that many members have great results with are mostly the grain free lines of FROMM, Earthborn, Taste of the Wild, Nature Variety, Merrick,Avoderm, Orijen, Wellness CORE. Do you have preference as to where you have to buy and/or spend?
    e.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis
    Likes (Received)

They have not said anything about his tail. The vets we go to are supposed to be bulldog experts but I am thinking about getting a second opinion. I am not liking what we have dealt with so far on this issue. I will try the pumpkin and get some tomorrow. We currently go to a pet store close that carries a lot of natural products. I will take the list and see what they have. How do I go about switching his food without further causing drama? Should I start mixing it with his regular food? How long? Thank you so much for helping us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads