Comfortis Bad Reaction Lethargy Anorexia

B

Baxter Tiberius

Just wanted to put in another vote against Comfortis.

I was meaning to write this a few months ago actually. Gave it to Baxter and he was absolutely *floored* for 2 or 3 days. He looked utterly miserable and nearly unwilling to move most of the time.

Reading on the back that it can cause anorexia, I started to wonder if that is why he had been so emaciated the first few months I had him. Guess I'll never know, because I wont be giving him that poison again.

Apparently it contains the same ingredient as Trifexis, which has been reported to cause death in some dogs.

-B-

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm so conflicted about whether or not to give heartworm meds this season. I am scared to death about the reviews most get and last year when I gave it to Brutus (we didn't have Frankie yet) he would get borderline lethargic for 2-3 days after. I would love feed back on this. Are any really safe? Brutus has had so many problems lately I don't know what to do.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I do give Tate a Comfortis tab for the fleas and a Sentinel tab for heart worm once a month. He does okay on the Sentinel but with the Comfortis I have to split the tablet in half and give it to him on two separate occasions, otherwise he throws up. I'm not crazy about giving him these "insecticides" either but at the same time, I don't want to risk him getting heart worms or fleas (which here in So CA is a year around risk). Finn gets Revolution topical monthly but Tate cannot tolerate that at all; made him get very wiggy and agitated and i felt terrible putting it on him in the past.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have given my dogs Heartgard & Frontline for years. I've NEVER had an issue w/either of them… and unfortunately here in TN fleas, tick, and heart worms are a continuous issue year round.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I also use Heartgard. Have been since he was a puppy and haven't had a reaction.
For fleas we use Advantage II in the warmer months.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Apparently it contains the same ingredient as Trifexis, which has been reported to cause death in some dogs.

before i read your post, I was going to type just this ^^^^

we use sentinel and never had any issues with any of our babies being on it.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

The heartworm is necessary but Comfortis isn't for heartworm is it?

After exhaustive searching on here, the most votes for safety and effectiveness went to Sentinel for heartworm.

As far as fleas, He doesn't really get them unless he goes to the doggy daycare. Now we go to the park instead, and he has no issues with them, so I don't give him anything for that, but k9 advantix got the most votes.

Most Reactions