Dog food causing diarrhea?

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Well here is the thing that has been talked about on here the most I think.. We went through a spell with Bentley a few weeks ago where he ate some of his toy and got a case of diarrhea... Well since then it cleared up but a few days after that it was back again.. he hasn't ate anymore toys or anything.. I'm starting to think the food is what is doing it. we've been feeding him blue buffalo's fish and potatoes.. we switched him around some to the chicken and rice... Seems like ever since we went to the blue buffalo he's had very loose stools-to diarrhea. The breeder we got him from which has been breeding for years and has a lot of experience lives by purina one lamb and rice. she has never had any trouble and says I should try putting him back on that.. I've heard so many negative things about it that it scares me but at the same time I know this lady knows what shes doing and her dogs are very healthy and happy. Could it be possible that Bentleys stomach just cant handle high quality foods?? We tried the royal canine as well and its the same story with it.. We only have a Petsmart around here other than walmart and grocery stores...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
First of all are you SURE the toy is completely out of his system? Did you have the vet do an x-ray? An obstruction could be causing the upset… If you are sure it's NOT the toy, then yes I would agree that the food is causing the diarrhea. You can check on www.dogfoodadvisor.com for dog food ratings. I can't get Earthborn for my dog where I live so I use PetFlow to have it sent directly to my house… it's very convenient and w/the auto-ship I NEVER run out of kibble. For the meantime you can give Bentley a tablespoon or two of pure pumpkin (NOT pie filling) to help w/the diarrhea. Whatever you decide make sure you gradually change his food… this can make things get worse.

OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
yes the obstruction is gone.. was a piece of his bed he ate he passed it shortly after we got him the meds at the vet... But when It comes to the food I guess all dogs are different. It just seems to be crazy on the money we spend on this stuff trying to find what is right and what works for him

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I thought about obstruction too. Mine also can't handle rich food. his output would either be formed but soft or very soft served. Decided to just switch him to raw simply to spare money and anymore upset tummy from buying one dogfood to another. i skipped the trial and error experience :).

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
When we first got Curly we had him on Blue wilderness puppy. My other two dogs (non-EB) were on Blue for years and we never had a problem with it.

Curly's (my EB) breeder had him on Royal Canin EB so we made the switch to Blue Wilderness Puppy. Curly didn't do well on It at all and he poop never firmed up. It was like soft served ice cream. We had him on it for about a month or two.

We decided to switch all dogs to Fromms Pork and peas and Curly firmed up in 3 days after he started eating Fromms. I also noticed with my other two dogs that they pass gas less on Fromms (they use to be very gassy before lol)

So with that said, it might just be Blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Any chance you are feeding too much food? Try backing off the amount by a little bit to see if the poo firms up?

OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Yeah I may have to just start ordering the Fromms and see if that works for him. We give him 1 1/2 cups in the morning and 1 1/2 cups of food in the evening.. he gets treats here and there peas, green beans etc. But other than that he gets his normal feeding. I wouldn't think cutting him back more than that would help much

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yeah I may have to just start ordering the Fromms and see if that works for him. We give him 1 1/2 cups in the morning and 1 1/2 cups of food in the evening.. he gets treats here and there peas, green beans etc. But other than that he gets his normal feeding. I wouldn't think cutting him back more than that would help much

How old is he now?

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I would def try switching foods. Blue might be too rich for him.

OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
I would def try switching foods. Blue might be too rich for him.

Is there anything we can give him otc that will help with the diarrhea til we get the food deal straightened out?

Last edited:
OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
I can tell he's uncomfortable.. he's started the butt boogie and dancing around in circles

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Is there anything we can give him otc that will help with the diarrhea til we get the food deal straightened out?

You can give him some canned pumpkin. PURE pumpkin-not pie mix. Have you tried taste of the Wild food? Mine eat TOTW pacific salmon-grain free.

OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
no we haven't tried that food.. we tried pumpkin.. He hates it and wont eat it.. we've tried mixing it and he still just eats around it.. lol hes a picky boy

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

yes, you can give immodium AD ---- how is he doing now?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online