Tail Amputation

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Hi everyone. So, we thought the last dose of steroids and antibiotics might be the cure all for Sherman's chronic tail pocket issues. Unfortunately, no. Even with me cleaning twice a day, he is still bothered by whatever is going on back there. It us such a tight pocket and even though I don't get a lot of gunk out, he has a problem that really pains him. So, we have pretty much decided we need to follow the vets advice and have his tail amputated. I think we are doing the best for him, but I am so nervous about it. I'd love to hear from you guys that have made this decision. Good or bad stories appreciated. I just want to know all the facts. Thanks so much!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Sounds like the tail amputation is the best option for Sherman [MENTION=9213]Jonel[/MENTION]. Sherman's story seems similar to Finn who also went thru several rounds of abx and steroids. His tail pocket was very tight too and he had a lot of skin folds that would just be a breeding ground for yeast and bacteria. He had the tail amputation in late January and he's doing SO MUCH BETTER now! The surgery itself took a couple hours, full anesthesia of course, and his recovery was several days afterwards. The recovery went okay for him, but if you can, try to take a week off from work or commitments post-surgery to be with Sherman so you can keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't become too active b/c you don't want the stitches to come out. And make sure your vet has had experience doing successful tail amputations too. Good luck with this. I think Sherman will feel a heck of a lot better after he gets this done.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] has recently had her boy's tail done. I will alert her for you.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We did Lucy's tail a long time age and that was the best thing we ever did for her. Good luck with her surgery.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Lola will eventually have to have her tail removed. My bulldog vet said that he does it in a cosmetic way that leaves some skin left over to make it appear as if the dog still has a tail. Good luck with the surgery.... she will feel much better!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Henny has you covered..... Best of luck with everything

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You are doing the best thing for him and he'll be so much happier for it. Please keep us posted.

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Diesel got it done a little over a week ago. I rescued him from a lady who was telling me she had allergies. When he came to meet is she then told me that he has problems with his tail. She told me to clean it three times a day with this and that and put powder and whatever everything. After one day him being with us I saw that this wasn't just a little problem. Took him the very next day to my vet and was told he had a cork screw tail. There was nothing we could do as it was so infected and so deep. Diesel got antibiotics and some shampoo and whatever everything plus a referral to UGA in Athens Ga. I waited another few weeks and cleaned it several times a day but you could clearly see this poor dog is in pain and he has been on pain for years. So finally we had it done. It's the best thing ever! He had the surgery done on Wednesday and I picked him up on Saturday. He had his nostrils and soft palate done at the same time. He came home and you could see he was still a little tired and in pain but after a day he was back to normal. I had to stop with the pain meds because he was too playful ! I would recommended in the heart beat!!!! He feels sooo much bettwr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.