Cough and congestion?? Help!!

Newbulldogmom

Mar 15, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie Bear
We have a new bulldog puppy. He came from a reputable breeder and is AKC registered. He is up to date on all shots and check ups. He's 3 1/2 months old. We got him when he was 8 weeks old and about two weeks after we got him he started coughing and had what sounded like congestion. We of course took him to the vet right away and were told that he had a bacterial infection and was give a round of antibiotics which he finished. He still has the congestion and it doesn't sound like it has gotten better at all. Does anyone out there have any ideas of what this could be? Should we take him to a different vet to get another opinion? I spoke with the breeder and she said none of the other puppies were having these issues. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes take him in to another vet as soon as you can. It could be serious especially if he's finished all those meds. He's still a baby.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
He may need another round of antibiotics. If you do not feel comfortable with the vet you used, then take him to another. He needs to see a vet again asap, as he could get worse very quickly. You need to say where you are located. Someone here may be able to recommend a vet.

OP
N

Newbulldogmom

Mar 15, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie Bear
We are in Mathews, Louisiana. The vet we took him it was reputable but young. We took him twice and the second time he just said the infection needed to run it's course. He also mentioned bull dogs have breathing problems but this doesn't seem like a breathing problem, it's a congestion and coughing issue. What could cause it? Does anyone know?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds like you should get a second opinion from another vet. Much better to be safe. Sorry, there are not vets in La. listed
on the "recommended vets" page. If he has finished all the antibiotics, it doesn't sound right to "let the infection run it's course" with a young pup. Some bulldogs do have some louder breathing and occasional cough-but he already told you it was a bacterial infection. Best to see another vet. Don't fool around with this baby.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We are in Mathews, Louisiana. The vet we took him it was reputable but young. We took him twice and the second time he just said the infection needed to run it's course. He also mentioned bull dogs have breathing problems but this doesn't seem like a breathing problem, it's a congestion and coughing issue. What could cause it? Does anyone know?

I agree reed with the others, second opinion..... At his age congestion is not to be taken lightly

Carol Baker

Mar 13, 2014
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlow, Gus
Yes, I would definitely get a 2nd opinion. I think that the vet was wrong to just suggest that it's a regular bulldog breathing issue. Congestion is something that should be taken seriously in a bulldog, especially a pup

OP
N

Newbulldogmom

Mar 15, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie Bear
Thanks so much everyone. We are going to take him to a new vet first thing Monday. It the mean time, can anyone tell me if they've had the same problems and if so, what it is?? I'm really worried now!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Coughs, colds, upper respiratory infections, and sadly kennel cough are very common in young pups, but I would go get a second opinion to be sure that it is not in his chest and lungs, as that can easily turn into pnuemonia which is deadly. If his lungs are clear at the next check up, try putting him in your bathroom several times a day, turn on the hot shower on HOT and allow him to sit in the steamed room. Doors shut and no exhaust fans on. This will help loosen the congestion and usually gives some good results within a day or two. If for any reason your baby stops eating or drinking, get him to the vet ASAP!

How is his behavior otherwise? Eating drinking and playful?

OP
N

Newbulldogmom

Mar 15, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie Bear
Thanks so much for your advice. He is super playful normally and drinks and eats normally. He actually drinks a lot. He loves to eat too. Today we noticed him not being as playful as normal and then he threw up. After he threw up, he seemed to feel better. What he threw up was just undigested dog food. It was still whole pellets.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It sounds like he could have an upper respiratory infection that the vet you took him to might have missed like was mentioned before. Did that vet take an xray of his lungs?

OP
N

Newbulldogmom

Mar 15, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie Bear
No he didn't do any kind of X-rays at all. He just listened to him and asked if his nose was running.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Im really happy youre taking him to a different vet and I hope its nothing serious, I hope he feels better tonight. Please keep us posted.

OP
N

Newbulldogmom

Mar 15, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie Bear
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions everyone! I really appreciate it and I will update everyone on Monday.

Carol Baker

Mar 13, 2014
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlow, Gus
He should have taken x-rays. Our Boris ended up with pneumonia from aspirating on some dog food.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.