Baxter getting head tremors :-/

B

Baxter Tiberius

This morning I was preparing baxters food, I noticed he started chattering his teeth. This was accompanied by a shaking head.

The iPhone seems to stabilize the video. So you can't even see the shaking head. Strange. But you can hear the teeth chattering.

Turn volume up, and make it full screen & "HD".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzcgqnUi8RY

A couple times he turns his head to the side in annoyance because it keeps happening. Tries to "shake it off" or something. Other poster said it was 'idiopathic tremors' (no known cause). Interesting that it only happens when he's "interested" in something. Or has a moment of excitement (food prep). Seems nerve related. Maybe stress increases it.

He's only 10 months old. Hope this doesn't get progressively worse.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Maude chatters her teeth when she is thinking about something she wants-as if she is trying to tell me. So far-luckily, she has not had head tremors.
I could not really see the tremor on your video. but you might like to read what info is on the above.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
What he may be experiencing are idiopathic head tremors or focal seizures. My Dozer used to get them. It is thought that low blood sugar may be the cause. In this case though he may just be over excited about food so I'm not sure.
Try this when it happens again if it does give him a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Ir brings the blood sugar up quickl gibes a dose of calcium which is thought to help as well gives them something to focus on. If that fixes it, change your feeding schedule to more frequent small meals. I feed Dozer twice a day and he had these , I switched to three times a day and it helped a huge amount.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
... Over excitement ---distract with a treat of some type

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
This morning I was preparing baxters food, I noticed he started chattering his teeth. This was accompanied by a shaking head.

The iPhone seems to stabilize the video. So you can't even see the shaking head. Strange. But you can hear the teeth chattering.

Turn volume up, and make it full screen & "HD".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzcgqnUi8RY

A couple times he turns his head to the side in annoyance because it keeps happening. Tries to "shake it off" or something. Other poster said it was 'idiopathic tremors' (no known cause). Interesting that it only happens when he's "interested" in something. Or has a moment of excitement (food prep). Seems nerve related. Maybe stress increases it.

He's only 10 months old. Hope this doesn't get progressively worse.

Orion does this all the time when she is waiting for her food to be put in front of her. Her little teeth chatter like crazy.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bogey had them once- freaked me out- I thought he was having seizures! I rushed him to the vet, who witnessed an episode, and thought he needed a neuro consult. By the time I picked him up, the wonderful people on this site had directed me to an article and videos on Idiopathic head Tremors in bulldogs. Yep, looked exactly like Bogey, and we could direct him out of it ( offering a treat, or massaging his cheek would stop it). So I decided against the neurologist, and he has never had one since! He too was about 10 months old. May be absolutely nothing!!

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Thanks everyone, good to know!

It is thought that low blood sugar may be the cause.

This makes sense. It only happened after 14 hours of no food. His last meal was 7pm and it was pushing 10am!

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
Adding Coconut oil to his diet is also a good way to help with both tremors and seizures. I give Shakespeare about a teaspoon with his dinner. He loves it! :)

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
Daisy chatters her teeth sometimes also. It is always the same thing that triggers it--playing with the blow dryer--so I've had to stop letting her have fun with it because it freaks me out. She gets over it quickly. I have yet to get it on video. Her teeth chatter way more than Baxter's did in his video. No tremors I've noticed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online