Too much Aerobic-based exercise bad?

B

Baxter Tiberius

I know EB's have a lot of heart problems later on. Science tells us that in general, this can be heavily influenced by two things: (1) Food type (2) Exercise.

Sometimes when I take Baxter to play, I worry that he's overdoing it on his heart. I only worry about this because of his breed. I'm wondering if that's a valid concern. He's still young, so I am sure he's safe for now. But I want to believe that taking him to the park 3x a week (where he runs full steam nonstop for an hour) ... will only benefit him long term. By giving him a strong and healthy heart and lungs.

Is there any scientific basis for voluntary, vigorous exercise being *detrimental* to english bulldogs, because of their structural issues, or otherwise?

(not referring to overheating)

Or will a *lot* of vigorous nonstop running (as long as he's doing it voluntarily, and loving every minute of it) be perfectly safe for him? There are times where he is so out of breath that he looks like he's going to keel over, and that concerns me. While *all* the other english bulldogs are waddling around slowly, he is running full steam with the rest of the dogs. He will sometimes flop down on the ground as the other dogs bounce around him to play, and he's just gasping for air. So I pick him up and take him off to the side until his breathing slows down. He isn't overheating. He's straining his heart.

Thanks.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I think he will be ok. Maybe you can let him run but not to the extent of such excertion? Maybe shorter spurts of running? This way he can still play and have fun but not over do it. Sometimes I think I am going to worry myself into an early grave over all of my concerns when it comes to my guys health.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Thats my issue. I have to be careful though and worry, because I swear he goes *so* hard ...

This park is huge. Wide open lawns. Sometimes there are 30+ dogs on any given evening. And all of their owners look at me like im a freak, worrying about him overheating, and taking him off to the side to cool down.

Even had one person say "Are you going to let him off his leash or no?" (he's always off his leash, but we were taking a breather).

I realize they know nothing about EB's, but I worry that his heart isn't as strong as other dogs, and therefore he shouldn't be allowed to run so hard, so long.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thats my issue. I have to be careful though and worry, because I swear he goes *so* hard ...

This park is huge. Wide open lawns. Sometimes there are 30+ dogs on any given evening. And all of their owners look at me like im a freak, worrying about him overheating, and taking him off to the side to cool down.

Even had one person say "Are you going to let him off his leash or no?" (he's always off his leash, but we were taking a breather).

I realize they know nothing about EB's, but I worry that his heart isn't as strong as other dogs, and therefore he shouldn't be allowed to run so hard, so long.

you are totally doing the right thing.... our stubborn Bully babies do not always know when to stop or when it is enough. and the concern is valid. I would continue as you are doing ... and watch the color of his tongue, if it is looking blue-ish, he is not getting enough oxygen and needs to take a break or stop all together for the day.

I always had this concern with Nitshcke for just the issue of the color of his tongue..... Banks seems to not have the problem, but she does also seem to know when she has had enough.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I have worried about this as well. So far Harlea has been good about it. She will run non stop for 4 or 5 minutes then she will slurp some cool water and plop down on a nice cool floor for a bit and then get up and do it all over again. However, when we are at the dog park we do not let her off the leash mostly because of the other idiot dog owners that are there . I have no problem with the nature of the dog park itself or it's rules but come on people you still need to keep an eye on what your dog is doing and not just sit on a bench 3 acres away while your dog is by me trying to hump my dogs face.

We have also been laughed at many times as being "over protective" of Harlea as when she is with us even if we are going to a pet store we take her pretty pink backpack with us that has everything we need from water, food, treats, blankets, first aid kit and even a current copy of her vet records. I just tell those people to deal with it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Bullies are "tough", but not as tough as they often think they are. It is up to us to stop them, if they are over exerting themselves. They don't always know what is best for them. If he is getting too over exerted, and doesn't know when to stop and take a break, it is up to you to stop him. Make him take a break. If he is not getting enough oxygen-it definitely will be detrimental. Isn't it odd that other people always know what is best for YOUR dog, when they are not even watching their own? You need to do what is best for Baxter. Exercise is good for his heart (for all with normal hearts) but getting overheated, or over exhausted, certainly is not. Don't listen to non-bullie people. Listen to your instincts. It is certainly better to be safe than to be sorry. In this case Father knows best. :yes:

Members online

No members online now.