Mattie -- several health problems

Denton

Mar 7, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mattie
I've had Mattie for just over a year now (she's 4) and brought her to the vet today for her routine checkup and shots. [Note: We've been fighting a tail flap infection since the day I've had her that never 100% cleared up. Mattie has pretty much the worst inverted corkscrew tail imaginable.]

When I brought her to the vet today, here are the recommendations/observations:

1) The vet suggests we proceed with tail removal surgery and everything that goes along with that.
2) Mattie needs eye surgery to correct an inverted eyelid that's constantly irritating her eye causing it to tear up, etc.
3) The vet believes it might be beneficial to perform an operation to shorten her soft palate.
4) And she apparently has a chipped tooth.

Any suggestions on how to handle all this? [The vet referred me to a surgeon that specializes with bulldogs for the tail. I should be able to get all the details after a consultation, but I guess it's pretty common.]

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
WOW! That's a lot of work, poor baby. I would talk to the surgeon first to see what he wants to do and what the time line would be. You are right, all of these are very common in Bulldogs. I've tagged some members that have had experience with some these before. I hope she feels better.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
So sorry to hear about Mattie… I don't have a lot of experience w/these surgeries. Phil has tagged some members who will be able to advice you. Good luck w/her and keep us posted!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor girl, all of these will certainly help her and give her a more comfortable life. It will likely cost less and be better to do them at the same time. I would just be sure that none of it just to do it, like the pallet and tooth, make sure they think they are needed and not just cosmetic. Get a second opinion (without giving the first one) to be sure.

Please keep us posted :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with the others... seek a second opinon on the need for the palate and tooth.... the tail is totally understnadable, but the others make sure are really necessary and not just because she will be uder already.

hugs and prayers all goes well.... please keep us posted

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor Maddie. I also agree with everyone's comments regarding getting a second opinion, and if all the surgeries are necessary, then it would be best to do them together if possible, and if she wouldn't be under anesthetic too long. The tail pocket and eye operations would definitely give her relief from recurring infections, irritation and pain, and make her more comfortable, so these would be for a better quality of life for her. I would get a second opinion on the palate surgery, and they can probably shave off the tooth and make it smooth rather than extract it. I hope she feels better soon, and that she does well with the surgeries. Please keep us posted on what the vet said, and on her progress. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=8329]Denton[/MENTION], Mattie does have lots of issues to work through but sounds like she's in very good hands. As far as the tail pocket and tail amputation goes, I had the surgery done on my bulldog Finn in January. His tail was also prone to infections and was tightly corkscrewed. The surgery went well for him; it wasn't the entire tail but a good portion of it that was removed. This has brought him great relief since the surgery. I wish Mattie and you all the best and if everything can be taken care of under one anesthesia and one surgery, then that would may be best for her.

OP
Denton

Denton

Mar 7, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mattie
The current suggestion from my vet is to check the palate and tooth while she was under for the eye surgery. Even after a year with me cleaning her, Mattie doesn't like people around her mouth. During the routine checkup, the vet was able to spot the chip, but was not able to get a good look for cavities and all that.

She's not really recommending to proceed with the tooth and palate just yet, but she is saying there is a possibility that something may need to be done depending on what's found after a closer look.

As far as the tail goes, it doesn't seem to affect Mattie at all. It affects ME a good bit, since I'm the guy cleaning it out regularly, but it's all a part of the routine for her. Obviously, we don't want a permanently infected anything on her (especially since it can spread/get worse/etc), but at least she seems to be comfortable.

I would like to do everything at once so she doesn't have to go under several times -- and, a bit more practically, so I don't have to pay for her to be put under several times. I don't think it'll work out though. I'm taking a five-day trip in April. I may have them do the procedure on her eye during that stretch and check her mouth out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She's not really recommending to proceed with the tooth and palate just yet, but she is saying there is a possibility that something may need to be done depending on what's found after a closer look..

Ooooooooooooooooooo..OK, I read it that they wanted to do the 'fix', they are just going to check everything since she is is under --- makes perfect sense. Sorry, I miss understood

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would definitely get her tail and eye fixed very soon. We had one of ours tail fixed and that was the best thing we ever did for her.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I agree...eye and tail are first on the list. The palate surgery could also be very important. If not taken care of....it could shorten the life of your baby. My mom was interviewing a new vet who was good with bulldogs. Before the introductions finished...he pointed to Chesty (Orion's daddy) and said....."he needs that fixed. The sooner the better". Just after that recommendation from the dr, Chesty's litter mate passed away from an elongated palate that was never diagnosed until it was too late.

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Diesel just had his tail amputeded. He had a very very bad corkscrew tail and it was all raw around it. My vet referral us to university of Georgia who has the best vets for this type of surgeries. The vet at Uga told me about the soft palate surgery as well the nostril surgery. She explained it to me that expesially here in ga where it's so hot and humid it's very hard to breath for the bullies. She said that she will do an x ray of his tail and while she is doing it she will check his soft palate then. She called me before surgery to tell me that she would recommend it as she saw it was pretty long so she did it at the same time as the tail surgery. He was under for about 3h I believe for all three things.

I don't know anything about the eye so I really am not a help but I would go to a vet who knows bulldogs and knows what is doing. I know I did the best thing ever for my boy . He is so much happier now without that big ol infected tail!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
So sorry to hear about your fur baby -I believe that the more vet can do in "one sitting" the better -less time she spend "under" less risk of complications
it is definitely something to think about and discuss with your vet x

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Oh, [MENTION=11381]chaygirl79[/MENTION] , so sorry about all thar surgery. I've never heard of nostril surgery before. If it helps him breathe better, that is a good thing. Holding good thoughts for a speedy recovery. Hopefully Diesel will be a new man after he recovers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.