Dry Eye-- Best Way to Get Drops In? Any other Suggestions?

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
Shakespeare had both of his cherry eyes removed in October and November of last year, and now he has dry eye in his left eye. Anyone have any suggestions of how to get the drops in without a struggle? I seem to be wasting more than I'm getting in his actual eye! I need to put them every few hours. At night, when he's napping, is the only time I can get them in without issue. During the day, he just takes quick little naps and will be wide awake the second I walk anywhere in the room. I have no one home during the day to be an extra set of hands. Right now, I am trying to stand behind him and nestle him between my legs so I can administer the drops from behind so he doesn't see the bottle while I give him a frozen treat to occupy him for a second.
Also, any other suggestions for things that have helped with dry eye in your bully? He eats Salmon Oil and Coconut Oil daily with his meals and I was looking into Bilberry...
Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged Lisa.... only member i can think of that may have a suggestion

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How you described is how I put drops or ointment in. Hopefully after he gets used to it he will be more cooperative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Redsmom

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
Thanks. Still having a hard time but I'm managing to get them in at least twice a day.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
That is a tough one; Amber had an eye issue once as a small pup and I had to put ointment in her eyes, it was an ugly wrestling match each and every time. I did exactly like you suggested; hold them between your legs and let the wrestling begin. I used bacon bits in the bag to help get her focused which worked a little better but not great. Good luck.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, my Blossom had cherry eye surgery when she was 7 months old, and I used eye drops before and after the repair. When I put the drops in I would sit on the floor and place her between my legs, facing me, then gently holding her head, pull the lower corner of her eyelid down, and place one or two eye drops into the eye.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.