Help Needed! Allergy or yeast die off?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
The detox phase can take a while, months even, and it all depends on her previous diet.

You mentioned that she reacted to chicken, but you're still feeding eggs. I would stop giving her eggs for a few days and see how she does.

You've learned so much so quickly and it looks as if she's greatly improving day by day, great signs that you'll find what she needs soon.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
You're doing great and she's allready doing much better, but in my opinion you could stop giving her all other stuff except hamburger, some multivitains and that probiotic supplement you've ordered. Stay at that as long as you see improvement. Only start adding any new ingredents one at the time when she's healed. If she's not making progress or even getting worse after a few months then I would think of trying something else, again one ingredient at the time.

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Thanks folks. That will make the food dish setup a lot faster :) Fingers crossed!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

buttercupsmom

Mar 21, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup & Ruffles
Hi all! Great job on taking her in! I too have two rescues that have severe allergies. Yeast infection as well. I learned a lot so far here! Thanks

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Daisy is doing much better - she isn't attacking her legs and neck anymore but the itchyness seems to have moved to her belly/nipples - she'll scratch at it but not with the ferocity she was attacking her legs. The skin is still weirdly discolored.

She is getting ground beef, pre+probiotics and digestive enzymes. After a few days on those and removing all the other additives she stopped farting her stinky farts and stopped chewing her legs. I added 1oz. of raw beef liver yesterday and that has been accepted well.

But, she hasn't pooped in 2 days, going on 3 today but it is just midday so she may go tonight. She hasn't attempted to poop at all and seems perfectly happy - she eats, drinks water, pees 3-4x per day. Her stomach isn't hard or bloated and she seems totally comfortable. She gets 1lb of meat per day (2 8oz meals).

She is getting more energetic. When I first got her I was concerned she was so disinterested in everything - didn't want to chew, stared off into space, just wanted to sleep. Now she's chewing on the nylabones and can jump on the couch without assistance.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
That's good news, great job! If she's feeling fine and energetic don't worry about the poo. Poo is waste and ground beef is highly digestible and there's not a lot of waste. Remember, keep adding only one thing at the time. I've heard of even old dogs starting to act like puppy's after starting to get raw food.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Daisy is doing much better - she isn't attacking her legs and neck anymore but the itchyness seems to have moved to her belly/nipples - she'll scratch at it but not with the ferocity she was attacking her legs. The skin is still weirdly discolored.

She is getting ground beef, pre+probiotics and digestive enzymes. After a few days on those and removing all the other additives she stopped farting her stinky farts and stopped chewing her legs. I added 1oz. of raw beef liver yesterday and that has been accepted well.

But, she hasn't pooped in 2 days, going on 3 today but it is just midday so she may go tonight. She hasn't attempted to poop at all and seems perfectly happy - she eats, drinks water, pees 3-4x per day. Her stomach isn't hard or bloated and she seems totally comfortable. She gets 1lb of meat per day (2 8oz meals).

She is getting more energetic. When I first got her I was concerned she was so disinterested in everything - didn't want to chew, stared off into space, just wanted to sleep. Now she's chewing on the nylabones and can jump on the couch without assistance.

Excellent update.... She is getting more comfortable at home and coming out of her shell. So wonderful!

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
That's good news, great job! If she's feeling fine and energetic don't worry about the poo. Poo is waste and ground beef is highly digestible and there's not a lot of waste. Remember, keep adding only one thing at the time. I've heard of even old dogs starting to act like puppy's after starting to get raw food.

Yes I'm hoping her lack of poop means she's digesting her food better now - her poops seemed pretty big and light colored for a dog on raw from what others were reporting. No more leg eating and and farts has been a BIG relief.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent news!! Very happy to hear this. The next thing I would add is a multi vitamin or supplement if she isn't on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Do you have a favorite multi-vitamin? There's so many products for dogs that run the gamut of total crap to excellent, it's overwhelming! I can order from Amazon (prime) or iHerb without shipping being crazy. And I will be near a Petco this weekend if they carry a good multi.

Requirements:
no fish oil - she had a strong reaction to fish (whitting). I think also to fish oil capsules but it may have been something else. I will try the fishoil capsule again in a week so long as her symptoms are stable.
no chicken or pork - her itch seemed to get worse on both raw chicken and pork

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I use Nuvet, but it does have a lot of ingredients. It's an immune system builder so it may be worth a try. It's all sourced in the USA too. They are very helpful if you call with any questions. Davidh uses Hardypet which is great too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.