Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Allergy or yeast die off?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Allergy or yeast die off?

Thank you Her face and legs are are much calmer, still some biting and scratching going on but not with the fury she was working over herself.
    @aprilemari Haha I'm glad she's so patient - she's not fond of the morning and evening cleanings But she forgives me quickly

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Update: I'm still battling the itch. The Malaseb shampoo came in and washed her but I think it may have been too harsh on her skin - it's very drying and I think the dry skin only made the itching worse. Her front paws seem to be doing pretty good now but she licked her back legs red and raw 2 days ago and started a gross puss-oozing patch in the wrinkles of one of her hind legs. I cleaned it with peroxide then malascetic otic solution then iodine and coconut oil. Finally wrapping it with gauze and covering with a bandage to keep her from licking it has stopped the puss. I'm going to wash her legs regularly with sulfodene shampoo - not as drying and seems to ease the itching.
    She's also started itching her stomach and neck and opening little hotspots. The skin of all 4 legs and her chin are still rather red.

At 8 months pregnant this is so exhausting. I'm still questioning myself if I am feeding her right. It has been a little over a month on raw feeding. Reading how folks switched their EB to a new food and all the skin problems cleared up I'm looking forward to it happening for me. But what is the time frame? How long do I keep at the hamburger before it is conclusive that she needs a different protein? I know if it's systemic yeast that is the root of it that it will take awhile to kill it but should the detox phase be lasting this long? If it's really allergies, am I needlessly tormenting her with food that she is allergic to? If I need to switch off of hamburger that means no more raw feeding - the town 'butcher' only does chicken, pork and hamburger and only stuff for humans - can't even get green tripe commercially here. More exotic proteins are very expensive to get here and I don't think I'm ready to take on raising meat rabbits or goats with my baby just 6 weeks away. So we'd need to switch to one of the good kibbles.

I have digestive enzymes and probiotic supplements on order for her to add to her food. Acv and yogurt may not be doing enough to improve her guts. I just don't know how long I should keep feeding her hamburger at this point, the itch is driving us both mad.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alohadaisy View Post
    Update: I'm still battling the itch. The Malaseb shampoo came in and washed her but I think it may have been too harsh on her skin - it's very drying and I think the dry skin only made the itching worse. Her front paws seem to be doing pretty good now but she licked her back legs red and raw 2 days ago and started a gross puss-oozing patch in the wrinkles of one of her hind legs. I cleaned it with peroxide then malascetic otic solution then iodine and coconut oil. Finally wrapping it with gauze and covering with a bandage to keep her from licking it has stopped the puss. I'm going to wash her legs regularly with sulfodene shampoo - not as drying and seems to ease the itching.
    She's also started itching her stomach and neck and opening little hotspots. The skin of all 4 legs and her chin are still rather red.

At 8 months pregnant this is so exhausting. I'm still questioning myself if I am feeding her right. It has been a little over a month on raw feeding. Reading how folks switched their EB to a new food and all the skin problems cleared up I'm looking forward to it happening for me. But what is the time frame? How long do I keep at the hamburger before it is conclusive that she needs a different protein? I know if it's systemic yeast that is the root of it that it will take awhile to kill it but should the detox phase be lasting this long? If it's really allergies, am I needlessly tormenting her with food that she is allergic to? If I need to switch off of hamburger that means no more raw feeding - the town 'butcher' only does chicken, pork and hamburger and only stuff for humans - can't even get green tripe commercially here. More exotic proteins are very expensive to get here and I don't think I'm ready to take on raising meat rabbits or goats with my baby just 6 weeks away. So we'd need to switch to one of the good kibbles.

I have digestive enzymes and probiotic supplements on order for her to add to her food. Acv and yogurt may not be doing enough to improve her guts. I just don't know how long I should keep feeding her hamburger at this point, the itch is driving us both mad.
    It can take up to 4-6 weeks to see FULL results with any food change. I am going to tag a few of our raw feeders they may be able to add some suggestions for you
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The detox phase can take a while, months even, and it all depends on her previous diet.

You mentioned that she reacted to chicken, but you're still feeding eggs. I would stop giving her eggs for a few days and see how she does.

You've learned so much so quickly and it looks as if she's greatly improving day by day, great signs that you'll find what she needs soon.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

You're doing great and she's allready doing much better, but in my opinion you could stop giving her all other stuff except hamburger, some multivitains and that probiotic supplement you've ordered. Stay at that as long as you see improvement. Only start adding any new ingredents one at the time when she's healed. If she's not making progress or even getting worse after a few months then I would think of trying something else, again one ingredient at the time.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks folks. That will make the food dish setup a lot faster Fingers crossed!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup & Ruffles
    Likes (Received)

Hi all! Great job on taking her in! I too have two rescues that have severe allergies. Yeast infection as well. I learned a lot so far here! Thanks

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Daisy is doing much better - she isn't attacking her legs and neck anymore but the itchyness seems to have moved to her belly/nipples - she'll scratch at it but not with the ferocity she was attacking her legs. The skin is still weirdly discolored.

She is getting ground beef, pre+probiotics and digestive enzymes. After a few days on those and removing all the other additives she stopped farting her stinky farts and stopped chewing her legs. I added 1oz. of raw beef liver yesterday and that has been accepted well.

But, she hasn't pooped in 2 days, going on 3 today but it is just midday so she may go tonight. She hasn't attempted to poop at all and seems perfectly happy - she eats, drinks water, pees 3-4x per day. Her stomach isn't hard or bloated and she seems totally comfortable. She gets 1lb of meat per day (2 8oz meals).

She is getting more energetic. When I first got her I was concerned she was so disinterested in everything - didn't want to chew, stared off into space, just wanted to sleep. Now she's chewing on the nylabones and can jump on the couch without assistance.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

That's good news, great job! If she's feeling fine and energetic don't worry about the poo. Poo is waste and ground beef is highly digestible and there's not a lot of waste. Remember, keep adding only one thing at the time. I've heard of even old dogs starting to act like puppy's after starting to get raw food.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alohadaisy View Post
    Daisy is doing much better - she isn't attacking her legs and neck anymore but the itchyness seems to have moved to her belly/nipples - she'll scratch at it but not with the ferocity she was attacking her legs. The skin is still weirdly discolored.

She is getting ground beef, pre+probiotics and digestive enzymes. After a few days on those and removing all the other additives she stopped farting her stinky farts and stopped chewing her legs. I added 1oz. of raw beef liver yesterday and that has been accepted well.

But, she hasn't pooped in 2 days, going on 3 today but it is just midday so she may go tonight. She hasn't attempted to poop at all and seems perfectly happy - she eats, drinks water, pees 3-4x per day. Her stomach isn't hard or bloated and she seems totally comfortable. She gets 1lb of meat per day (2 8oz meals).

She is getting more energetic. When I first got her I was concerned she was so disinterested in everything - didn't want to chew, stared off into space, just wanted to sleep. Now she's chewing on the nylabones and can jump on the couch without assistance.

Excellent update.... She is getting more comfortable at home and coming out of her shell. So wonderful!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    That's good news, great job! If she's feeling fine and energetic don't worry about the poo. Poo is waste and ground beef is highly digestible and there's not a lot of waste. Remember, keep adding only one thing at the time. I've heard of even old dogs starting to act like puppy's after starting to get raw food.
    Yes I'm hoping her lack of poop means she's digesting her food better now - her poops seemed pretty big and light colored for a dog on raw from what others were reporting. No more leg eating and and farts has been a BIG relief.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Excellent news!! Very happy to hear this. The next thing I would add is a multi vitamin or supplement if she isn't on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads